Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...

Where do i begin! It seems every time i take Loki for a walk, he is farely happy, keeps up etc.

This morning i went for a run and decided to take him, i was running along and he was trotting beside me, when all of a sudden, we came to a certain point, and he just stopped. He just sat down, and refused to move! He dug his heels in, and i tried to tug him along and keep him going, talking to him the whole time, telling him hes a good boy when i put my hand under his belly and pushed him along a bit more.

Lets just say, he won, i couldnt drag him down the street, and everything i tried, wouldnt work. So i turned around, and decided to do my run in backwards fashion. I was about the same distance from home on the other side of the track, and he stopped again, same deal, just decided he didnt want to walk any more. We have walked heaps further in the past, and when hes at the beach he runs around non stop, so i know he wasnt tired, but i refuse to carry him back home, or he will do it all the time.

Twice on the way home, he also just stopped, and started pushing himself backwards, fighting the collar.

Would a harness fix some of these issues? I would rather guide him via a harness, than something around his neck!

Any advice is welcome, please!!!

Steve

·
Super Moderator
16,018 Posts
First thing I would do is to have the vet check him out for any foot, leg or hip problems. If these are all alright, then it would be a training issue. Do a search on here and on the old forum site http://www.bulldogbreedsforum.com/forum/index. Lots of good info on this subject. Bookmark the old forum site as you will find that it can help you alot for information. Good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Went through the exact same thing with a one year old male valley bulldog i used to walk and take care of for a friend. Once in a while he'd plop on the sidewalk and refuse to walk. It was usually after he'd been walking for a while and panting fairly heavy, so i just assumed it was because he was tired, not to mention he was pretty lazy anyway. Not sure if this helps, but in my experience it was when he got tired, hed do it to take a breather, then after a spell would keep going, I'm sure he can be trained out this somehow. Someone on here may have some specific pointers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dont ABs dehydrate faster than most dogs, maybe take a water bottle, the squirt kind and squirt into his mouth, I used to do that with Boomer when ide take him to the park, so he wouldnt get thirsty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts