Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is similar to the other thread going on, but my problem is a little different. Dozer has been going to obedience for a while now and he is really good. He will heal really nice when I want him to. But when I go for just an excercise walk I don't want him to be right beside me being perfect. I want to allow him to sniff and walk around and have fun, not having to pay full attention to me all the time. I want to do this with out him pulling me around, Is this to much to ask??

I don't think I need a prong collar at this point, cause he is not very bad. I tried what I've read in books, just to stop every time they pull. Well I've done that for the last week and it doesn't make a difference at all. He just looks at me, wondering why I stopped then pulls again.

So last night I started to give him a tug every time he pulled and that worked, but my trainer at obedience said never to do that, and it did seem like it hurt his feelings a bit, he didn't look like he was having much fun. I wasn't tugging hard, just enough to get his attention.

Maybe I do need a prong, I don't know.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
i have two commands for walking the dogs. one is a formal "heel", which is competition stye . the other is a "with me" command, which means anywhere within 6 feet but DO NOT pull. both of these heeling commands started with the emphatic or koehler about method. ask your trainer to demonstrate it for you it is an incredibley effective tool especially when started as a young pup.

·
Banned
99 Posts
walking...

Theres a couple of things i would suggest but first i would just say keep up with the obedience & that should atleast help abit?

First i would try grabbing his attention alot more although i do understand like you said you want him to have a little sniff around etc & not allways wondering about you but this is probably the easiest way...

I would just walk around with some of his favourite treats & hold them in your free hand low so he can smell them as you walk & this should keep his eyes on your hands & keep him next to you so every few feet to start you give him a treat then slowly build it up to its not until alot further & further then your there "eventually lol"

You can also try this... start walking with him on his leash having him on your right hand side now every time he pulls turn right crossing over him, i know you may start walking in circles to start but eventually depending on how smart & stubborn your dog is he will realise that he cannot pull like this & he has to follow your actions & watch where your going!

Hope that helps?

·
Registered
410 Posts
In Titus' obedience class the word we use to let him know he can go to the end of the leash or that he does not have to heel and is off duty so to speak is "OK Titus" then he will go out to the end of the leash, I was told if he starts to pull to do a about face in the opposite direction and to keep changing directions until he pays attention to where I am and where I am going. Then again we are using a prong collar when he is walking so he gets the hint quickly, now if he sees my feet or shoulders turning in a different direction he will slow down and watch me to see where we are going...LOL!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I let Abby do that with the "Go sniff" command meaning she can leave my side, I also find that pushing the collar all the way up the neck just behind the ears gives a lot more control during walks whether it be fast paced walks or just slow steady walks.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I would put him on a prong and start using a separate command like Attitude mentions.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i walk three dogs a night. I have a problem mainly with Mazie. the walks are not enjoyable for either of us. I use a choke chain and I am resorted to a two ft lead but she's got a thick neck. All three dogs are suitable for comformation, that is they do well in the ring with the little show collars on. I put a little shiney show collar on Mazie and shes a gem. problem is I can't walk her thru the neighborhood with this particular chain, should I use a prong and do you purchase two inches longer than neck size like choke chains.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts