Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my sister has King Charles Cavalier that is about 4 years old and he has some health problems. He has had back problems since my moms house was robbed while he was there, he had a virus from a tick that really messed him up, and he has really loose stool all of the time. My sister has done pretty well in feeding him, starting out with IAMS but moving to higher grade kibble. I recommended DVP Duck and Potato for his loose stool because it worked well for Loki. Well, he doesnt like it and wont eat it. Lately he has been dragging his butt on the carpet all of the time so my sister took him to the vet. Ok, so the vet says that his anal glands are infected and he probably needs a short procedure to drain them. Then he says, get this, that many people think that they are doing something good for their dog by giving them high grade kibble but it is actually bad for them. He said the high grade all natural kibble doesnt have all of the nutrients that a dog needs and that it spoils all of the time. Then he said the best food she can give him is purina, yes PURINA!!! She asked well isnt something like Iams better than Purina. And replied no, purina is the best you can give them. Can you believe that? This is a vet speaking. Its a shame there are people who are out there who dont know any better and believe whatever their vet says about feeding. I assume he gets paid for endorsing Purina. Whos main ingredient is corn by the way. So my sister didnt buy what he said and called me asking my opinion. I said I would do some research for her to find a good food for loose stool and told her vet is a complete idiot.

So does anyone know of a food that is good to make their stool firmer?

P.S. Sam is writing a letter to the vet. Complete with documentation :p

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Wow! That's ridiculous! Makes you wonder about this vet's judgment in other areas besides nutrition! I don't know about a food that will firm up his stools, but Bella's stools have been lovely ever since I started giving her Missing Link supplement. :D

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bella_blue said:
Wow! That's ridiculous! Makes you wonder about this vet's judgment in other areas besides nutrition! I don't know about a food that will firm up his stools, but Bella's stools have been lovely ever since I started giving her Missing Link supplement. :D
We're going to start giving Loki Missing Link also. What food do you feed her? Her coat is very nice and shiny. Its amazing what salmon oil does for Loki's coat. If she doesnt have it for a couple days it get so dull.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Bella eats Diamond Lamb Meal and Rice. I really think it's the Missing Link that is making her so shiny. She's been getting Missing Link for about 3 or 4 weeks now, and she was never this shiny before! Her fur is so soft, too.

·
Registered
410 Posts
LOL... sorry I had to laugh ... some vets are full of it!! we had a dog who would do this 2 or 3 times a year, the vet told us that some dogs have problems with their anal glands and sometimes you need to bring them in to have the vet express the anal gland for the dog, most dogs do it on their own when using the bathroom.... but I have never been told it was due to food!!! and to use Purina on top of that is even worse! .....LOL....

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that food effects their anal glands because I know that their stool has to be firm to express them, but to tell a person to feed a dog crap food, come on! I almost couldnt believe it when she told me this. I had heard before that a vet requires only a few hours of schooling in nutrition. Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bremner53 said:
:shock: :lol: :lol: What a joke, that is BRUTAL!!!! I can't believe that we know more then vets.
I think it probably has more to do with $$$$$ than knowledge. Just as if you go to your doctor and you receive prescription meds. There are many many options that would do the same thing, so why did they prescribe what they did??? It's all about what company gives the best kick back. In this vets office it is purina.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I dont feed my dogs on Purina, but whats so bad about it? I think our vets over here endorse Iams, i take thats Ok? We actually feed our dogs on Bakers complete dried food.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
kogeki said:
I know that food effects their anal glands because I know that their stool has to be firm to express them, but to tell a person to feed a dog crap food, come on! I almost couldnt believe it when she told me this. I had heard before that a vet requires only a few hours of schooling in nutrition. Does anyone know if this is true?
i might be wrong but if i remember correctly a vet only has to have 4 hours of nutrition

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have had a great response from Nutro dog food, makes less and firmer stool. Also note on the anal glands, If the dog is groomed regularly 6 to 8 weeks the groomer is supposed to express the glands externally, usually when the dog drags its but on the carpet hes trying to release the waste in the glands which is gross, The vet expresses the glands internally which he will charge anywhere from 25 to 40 bucks. External expression can be done by placing fingers 10 oclock to 3 oclock and gently pressing.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Storm said:
I dont feed my dogs on Purina, but whats so bad about it? I think our vets over here endorse Iams, i take thats Ok? We actually feed our dogs on Bakers complete dried food.
Here is a comparison that I read somewhere else.... Feeding your dog Purina/Iams every day is like feeding your child McDonald's everyday. They are still getting acutal food... but it has fillers, excess uneeded fat and everything else bad for you in it

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
My chow

My chow chow is now 16 years ols and healthy as a horse no one here can understand why he has no gray, he still jumps around and loves to play I feed him Pro Plan and Iams most his life but only lamb & rice one.
I feed my Rottweiler the most expensive high quality food He has passed on.
I believe every dog is different depends on what they do good on, But I do agree that Purina is not one I am fond off it is full of fillers and if you neeed to feed purina the only 2 that are higher end are Purina One lamb & Rice and Pro Plan Lamb & Rice

·
Registered
93 Posts
That is insane. I've been feeding Apollo Kirkland Chicken Rice & Veggies ( based on the reviews from this site ) & he loves it. I've also been including a supplement of fish oil pills in his food ( morning & night ) & his coat is really coming around. My vet reccommended Missing Link as well, so i'm going to look it up today & read about it.

Later,
Chap

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.