Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060929/us_nm/life_dogs_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Keep those sugarless treats out of Fido's reach. Veterinarians warned on Friday that a commonly used sweetener might cause liver failure in dogs, and perhaps even kill them.


Their report in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association appears to strengthen the suspected link between the sugar substitute xylitol, thought to make dogs sick, and possible liver failure.

Xylitol, a naturally occurring product, is found in many sugar-free chewing gums, candies, baked goods and toothpastes.

Researchers Sharon Gwaltney-Brant and Eric Dunayer with staff at a poison unit of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Urbana, Illinois, gathered information on eight dogs treated between 2003 and 2005 after eating products containing xylitol.

Each dog became ill, and five died or had to be put down because of liver failure, possibly from ingesting xylitol.

One dog who had to be euthanized had eaten four large, chocolate-frosted muffins containing about 1 pound (0.45 kg) of xylitol.

"People don't think sugar-free gum can kill their dog. I didn't before I got into this. But this is something people should be aware of," Gwaltney-Brant, who co-authored the study with Dunayer, said in a statement.

Gwaltney-Brant said for dogs, ingesting even a small amount of xylitol can trigger significant insulin release, which drops their blood sugar and can be fatal.

"A 22-pound (10-kg) dog who consumes one gram (0.03 ounces) of xylitol should be treated," she said, adding that further studies were needed to definitely establish a cause-and-effect relationship.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,423 Posts
snarky said:
who gives their dog gum?
If someone spits it on the ground, a dog could easily gobble it up without you realizing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
snarky said:
who gives their dog gum?
I give mine my gum every once in a while. I just think it's funny to see them try to figure out what the hell they're supposed to do with it.

Oh, and I dunno about xylitol and its poisonous effect on dogs, but I can tell you from experience... do NOT eat a whole bag of chocolates sweetened with that stuff unless you are willing to set up camp in the nearest restroom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
Again with the Xylitol? It's only really dangerous is HUGE amounts, like if your dog eats an entire bag of it they could die. Solid Gold has been selling a dental treat made with Xylitol for years, they say so reports of sickness have been reported to them. They include a little of it because it has been said to coat and protect the teeth from decay and tarter.

BTW, I'm sure most of that muffin dog's injury was from the chocolate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,423 Posts
Gwaltney-Brant said for dogs, ingesting even a small amount of xylitol can trigger significant insulin release, which drops their blood sugar and can be fatal.

"A 22-pound (10-kg) dog who consumes one gram (0.03 ounces) of xylitol should be treated," she said
:dontknow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
Every once in a while it seems that this Xylitol stuff comes out, it's been used for years in dental treats for dogs why only eight reported cases of illness? Plus last I heard there were no reported deaths from it. They say the same thing about Greenies, that they are so dangerous. meanwhile out of hundreds of thousands of Greenies sold, there were a tiny number of deaths from them. ANYTHING can cause death in your dog, it's all about moderation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,577 Posts
PitBullRoyalty said:
Every once in a while it seems that this Xylitol stuff comes out, it's been used for years in dental treats for dogs why only eight reported cases of illness? Plus last I heard there were no reported deaths from it. They say the same thing about Greenies, that they are so dangerous. meanwhile out of hundreds of thousands of Greenies sold, there were a tiny number of deaths from them. ANYTHING can cause death in your dog, it's all about moderation.

I think with the Greenies, it was binding in the intestines. I know my mom's Corgi got really really sick from eating Greenies. Had to be taken to the vet quite a few times before he realized that it was the Greenies. I agree, though, about the moderation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
Yes, i understand about the Greenies. My point in comparing the two is that both have very few incident compared to how many of each are eaten each year, just like grooming accidents, pit bull attacks, or airplane crashes. All make big news when it happens because it's so rare to happen. But since it makes news, people think that they are the only treats that are dangerous/breed of dog that is dangerous/means of transportation most dangerous. Meanwhile, your dog is more likely to die from rawhide and in a vet's office, you're more likely to be biten by a lab than a pit bull and you're more likely to get into a car crash than an airplane crash. I don't understand why people are most concerned about the things least likely to happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
Chrisnjen said:
I give mine my gum every once in a while. I just think it's funny to see them try to figure out what the hell they're supposed to do with it.
:shock: :-s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PitBullRoyalty said:
Again with the Xylitol? It's only really dangerous is HUGE amounts, like if your dog eats an entire bag of it they could die. Solid Gold has been selling a dental treat made with Xylitol for years, they say so reports of sickness have been reported to them. They include a little of it because it has been said to coat and protect the teeth from decay and tarter.

BTW, I'm sure most of that muffin dog's injury was from the chocolate.
I posted that thread as a warning. This is another addition to the list of potential lethal drugs. I know that it is only dangerous in large amounts but maybe not everyone else did! It's just to let you know not to leave your chewing gum, toothpaste ect.. ect.. (things you wouldn't even consider dangerous) laying around. There are a lot of members with new little puppies.
~Vonna
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
Oh, that post wasn't refering to you. It was refering to the media reports that constantly bring it up. You're right, toothpaste is dangerous in large amounts also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,577 Posts
When I get home, I shall test this out by brushing my dog's teeth till midnight while making him chew gum and smoke on Greenies! I will report back tomorrow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
Deal!.. LOL, I seriously brush my dog's teeth almost everyday. She still gets a bit tarter on the teeth I miss at the very back so I'm ordering a tooth scaler, not recommended unless you have some experience with dentals. They sell this stuff from lelab that looks promising, money back guarantee to remove heavy tarter which is great for dogs too old to be put under. It's like $50 a bottle but if it works it is totally worth it.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top