Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060929/us_nm/life_dogs_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Keep those sugarless treats out of Fido's reach. Veterinarians warned on Friday that a commonly used sweetener might cause liver failure in dogs, and perhaps even kill them.


Their report in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association appears to strengthen the suspected link between the sugar substitute xylitol, thought to make dogs sick, and possible liver failure.

Xylitol, a naturally occurring product, is found in many sugar-free chewing gums, candies, baked goods and toothpastes.

Researchers Sharon Gwaltney-Brant and Eric Dunayer with staff at a poison unit of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Urbana, Illinois, gathered information on eight dogs treated between 2003 and 2005 after eating products containing xylitol.

Each dog became ill, and five died or had to be put down because of liver failure, possibly from ingesting xylitol.

One dog who had to be euthanized had eaten four large, chocolate-frosted muffins containing about 1 pound (0.45 kg) of xylitol.

"People don't think sugar-free gum can kill their dog. I didn't before I got into this. But this is something people should be aware of," Gwaltney-Brant, who co-authored the study with Dunayer, said in a statement.

Gwaltney-Brant said for dogs, ingesting even a small amount of xylitol can trigger significant insulin release, which drops their blood sugar and can be fatal.

"A 22-pound (10-kg) dog who consumes one gram (0.03 ounces) of xylitol should be treated," she said, adding that further studies were needed to definitely establish a cause-and-effect relationship.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PitBullRoyalty said:
Again with the Xylitol? It's only really dangerous is HUGE amounts, like if your dog eats an entire bag of it they could die. Solid Gold has been selling a dental treat made with Xylitol for years, they say so reports of sickness have been reported to them. They include a little of it because it has been said to coat and protect the teeth from decay and tarter.

BTW, I'm sure most of that muffin dog's injury was from the chocolate.
I posted that thread as a warning. This is another addition to the list of potential lethal drugs. I know that it is only dangerous in large amounts but maybe not everyone else did! It's just to let you know not to leave your chewing gum, toothpaste ect.. ect.. (things you wouldn't even consider dangerous) laying around. There are a lot of members with new little puppies.
~Vonna
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top