Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently discovered the Patch loves watermelon. Is it ok to give him this?
He also loves chewing on the shell.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I just gave Orson a half of a watermelon the other day (was one of those tiny personal ones).
He LOVED it...was eating rind and all!
Went to store next day to get him a whole little one (cause he loves "balls" too) and they were out.
Is watermelon season over?? :(

And sorry, dont know if they are ok to eat or not...did it anyways!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OrsonDogge said:
I just gave Orson a half of a watermelon the other day (was one of those tiny personal ones).
He LOVED it...was eating rind and all!
Went to store next day to get him a whole little one (cause he loves "balls" too) and they were out.
Is watermelon season over?? :(

And sorry, dont know if they are ok to eat or not...did it anyways!
Watermelon season is just starting for us.... i live in Australia.

OK well I guess there's nothing wrong with giving it to him then?

It's amazing how much this dog LOVES his fruit!

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Same here.
He loves watermelon, coconuts, apples, grapes (frozen! :roll:),
tried banana last nite..he doesnt like them.
I give Orson a whole apple for a treat.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
You shouldnt give seeds or pits of fruit, they contain cyanide... minute amounts, of course, but better safe than sorry.... and I think grapes and raisins are a no-no too... I have to look those up tho....

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OrsonDogge said:
Same here.
He loves watermelon, coconuts, apples, grapes (frozen! :roll:),
tried banana last nite..he doesnt like them.
I give Orson a whole apple for a treat.
Grapes are definately a no no.

i think all other fruit is ok though... and Patch loves eating the apple WHOLE - core and all!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Yes, grapes and raisins are BAD, as are apple seeds. I give Chopper an apple every day, but I core them first. My dogs love Watermelon, too. I think it's fine for them. Might get the runs, lots of water, other than that, it's ok.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Yeah, i knew about the apple seeds...but i gave my old dog whole apples all her 13 years and nothing bad...so i guess it's like chocolate.
A little bit wont hurt them.
I heard grapes bad too, but also i dont think 10 a day will hurt. :?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
OrsonDogge said:
Yeah, i knew about the apple seeds...but i gave my old dog whole apples all her 13 years and nothing bad...so i guess it's like chocolate.
A little bit wont hurt them.
I heard grapes bad too, but also i dont think 10 a day will hurt. :?
But the question is.....do you want to take that risk? Maybe it won't hurt him.....maybe it will cause him liver failure.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alphadog said:
my dogs also love watermelon and apples
Gosh, some say no apple seeds, some say a little won't hurt.
I guess no one will really know?

my husband thinks i baby Patch when i cut up his apple for him....... :cry:

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Maybe it won't hurt him.....maybe it will cause him liver failure.
You talking of the grapes?
I wont buy them specifically for him cause he wont eat them unless frozen. So when this bunch is gone, wont do it anymore.

What is in grapes anyways that is bad?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OrsonDogge said:
I wont buy them specifically for him cause he wont eat them unless frozen. So when this bunch is gone, wont do it anymore.

i think they contain large amounts of cyanide... but don't quote me on that.

there was a post recently on this...

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
OrsonDogge said:

The database showed that dogs who ate the grapes and raisins typically vomited within a few hours of ingestion. Most of the time, partially digested grapes and raisins could be seen in the vomit, fecal material, or both. At this point, some dogs would stop eating (anorexia), and develop diarrhea. The dogs often became quiet and lethargic, and showed signs of abdominal pain. These clinical signs lasted for several days — sometimes even weeks.

When medical care was sought, blood chemistry panels showed consistent patterns. Hypercalcemia (elevated blood calcium levels) was frequently present, as well as elevated levels of blood urea nitrogen, creatinine and phosphorous (substances that reflect kidney function). These chemistries began to increase anywhere from 24 hours to several days after the dogs ate the fruit. As the kidney damage developed, the dogs would produce little urine. When they could no longer produce urine, death occurred. In some cases, dogs who received timely veterinary care still had to be euthanized.
I don't think anyone knows exactly what it is in grapes that makes them dangerous to dogs. Speculation says pestcides, heavt metals, who knows! I would just rather not take the chance, you know what I mean?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
I have an apple tree in my backyard... my dogs eat apples all the time. What's it do to them?
Apple seeds are in the same category as other fruits like apples, cherries, peaches and apricots. The stems, leaves and seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides, and depending on the dose, you will see not only the common gastrointestinal effects but weakness in coordination and difficulty breathing. In some extreme cases, animals can go into shock or coma and can even result in death. The toxic ingredients are contained in the center of the seeds, so be sure keep your pet from chewing or crushing the seeds with their teeth. Another interesting thing to point out is that the level of toxicity can depend on growing conditions. If it's a stressful growing environment for an apple tree, the level of toxicity may be less than if the tree was growing in a healthy environment. This makes it difficult to gauge how much is a dangerous level.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Lincoln adores apples. We're moving next week and are getting an apple tree in our front yard and I think he'll be in his glory.

He also like broccoli and spinach, which I assume is good for him? I heard anything green is great :) Maybe its not though? Any ideas?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Joe loves fruits and veggies, specially oranges! He has been known to steal tomatoes, strawberries, cucumbers most any thing out of the garden. Fruits and veggies as long as in moderation is pretty much ok, but there is a few things out there that is not. Such as onions.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Chopper will try anything at least once! He eats watermelon, cantelope, oranges, apples, pears, nectarines, banannas (but they have to be still a little bit on the green side). He stole the banannas off the kitchen counter today. Bought 5, have 2 left. Let's see...carrots, green beans, tomatoes, potatoes. I'm staying away from the broccoli because I'm afraid it'll give him gas.......and those Silent but Deadly's are enough to chase anyone away! I did read that tomatoes in large amounts are not good for the dog & especially the tomato plant leaves are toxic. I forget where I read that. Maybe www.peteducation.com?

It's funny at our house..we've got 2 cats & Chopper. Chopper will take any opportunity to get to the cat's food. He absolutely loves the cat's food. We actually have a barricade set up at the powder room door so he can get in. The cats both go over to Chopper's bowl & eat his dog food. He eats DVP Duck & Potato.

Maria

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.