Watermelon season is just starting for us.... i live in Australia.OrsonDogge said:I just gave Orson a half of a watermelon the other day (was one of those tiny personal ones).
He LOVED it...was eating rind and all!
Went to store next day to get him a whole little one (cause he loves "balls" too) and they were out.
Is watermelon season over??
And sorry, dont know if they are ok to eat or not...did it anyways!
Grapes are definately a no no.OrsonDogge said:
But the question is.....do you want to take that risk? Maybe it won't hurt him.....maybe it will cause him liver failure.OrsonDogge said:Yeah, i knew about the apple seeds...but i gave my old dog whole apples all her 13 years and nothing bad...so i guess it's like chocolate.
A little bit wont hurt them.
I heard grapes bad too, but also i dont think 10 a day will hurt. :?
You talking of the grapes?
i think they contain large amounts of cyanide... but don't quote me on that.OrsonDogge said:
I don't think anyone knows exactly what it is in grapes that makes them dangerous to dogs. Speculation says pestcides, heavt metals, who knows! I would just rather not take the chance, you know what I mean?The database showed that dogs who ate the grapes and raisins typically vomited within a few hours of ingestion. Most of the time, partially digested grapes and raisins could be seen in the vomit, fecal material, or both. At this point, some dogs would stop eating (anorexia), and develop diarrhea. The dogs often became quiet and lethargic, and showed signs of abdominal pain. These clinical signs lasted for several days — sometimes even weeks.
When medical care was sought, blood chemistry panels showed consistent patterns. Hypercalcemia (elevated blood calcium levels) was frequently present, as well as elevated levels of blood urea nitrogen, creatinine and phosphorous (substances that reflect kidney function). These chemistries began to increase anywhere from 24 hours to several days after the dogs ate the fruit. As the kidney damage developed, the dogs would produce little urine. When they could no longer produce urine, death occurred. In some cases, dogs who received timely veterinary care still had to be euthanized.
LuvaBULL said:I have an apple tree in my backyard... my dogs eat apples all the time. What's it do to them?
Apple seeds are in the same category as other fruits like apples, cherries, peaches and apricots. The stems, leaves and seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides, and depending on the dose, you will see not only the common gastrointestinal effects but weakness in coordination and difficulty breathing. In some extreme cases, animals can go into shock or coma and can even result in death. The toxic ingredients are contained in the center of the seeds, so be sure keep your pet from chewing or crushing the seeds with their teeth. Another interesting thing to point out is that the level of toxicity can depend on growing conditions. If it's a stressful growing environment for an apple tree, the level of toxicity may be less than if the tree was growing in a healthy environment. This makes it difficult to gauge how much is a dangerous level.