Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after about a month of the Authority Harvest Baked food, Deuce still has kinda runny poo. We didn't want to switch it since its a really good food, and we were hoping he would get used to it. Well that didn't happen. We are going to switch him again, this time gradually. We picked up some Royal Canin Bulldog food at Petsmart yesterday after his training class. He is so spoiled. He always get a treat when we go, either a toy or a bone. This time he picked a bone, a huge one, its as big as his head, but he still carries it around and loves it. Anyway, back to the subject, I saw that this new food scored good, which is why I bought it, but I wanted to see if anyone here actually uses it. Any opinions on it?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I hate it when foods dont work. Diamonds gave my 2 runs really bad. You get his training done at Petsmart. You should watch him if so becuase I understand they dont use very good training tactics. I was also told by another trainer that they way they train the dogs can make them food aggressice with other dogs and humans. One more thing is I dont believe they use certified trainers.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Kate got trained at Petsmart and they did a fairly decent job. It seemed like their main focus was on socialization more then OB but we enjoyed it and Kate didn't learn some things and met new doggys. But I did hear that they only require a 3 week training course to become a dog trainer.

About the Royal Canine, Deuce is an AB am I correct? If so, when you finish up this bag of the bulldog forumla, put him on the boxer one. I believe the bulldog one is more geared to the EB versus the boxer one has more protien and is more geared to the body type of the boxer which is more like the AB then the EB is. If Deuce is an EB then I am sorry and keep him on that one! haha. But I have had Kate on the bulldog forumla before I knew all that and she did good and I put her on the boxer one and she loves it a ton!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the girl that is our trainer is great. She has a boxer that "was" aggressive, and a pitbull, so I figure she has experience with the breed regardless of her training. We mainly do it to motivate oursellfs. They teach sit, down, drop it, leave it, take it, heel, stuff like that. We could do it on our own but I won't ever get to doing it. This way its like I am competing to have my dog be the best in the class. I am a competition freak. A little too competitive at times, but it is a good motivator, and besides Deuce likes to go and visit all the pups. She is a really good trainer though, and she is young like me, so she isn't always making me feel dumb for asking questions. Mainly they teach me how to teach him. I think its a great starter.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kate said:
Kate got trained at Petsmart and they did a fairly decent job. It seemed like their main focus was on socialization more then OB but we enjoyed it and Kate didn't learn some things and met new doggys. But I did hear that they only require a 3 week training course to become a dog trainer.

About the Royal Canine, Deuce is an AB am I correct? If so, when you finish up this bag of the bulldog forumla, put him on the boxer one. I believe the bulldog one is more geared to the EB versus the boxer one has more protien and is more geared to the body type of the boxer which is more like the AB then the EB is. If Deuce is an EB then I am sorry and keep him on that one! haha. But I have had Kate on the bulldog forumla before I knew all that and she did good and I put her on the boxer one and she loves it a ton!
Actually Deuce is neither. He is an Olde English Bulldogge. This is why at the pet store I wasn't sure which one to get, Boxer or Bulldog, so I just went with the Bulldog, but I just got a small bag so I could change it if that is what you would advise. He is already 40lbs and he is only 4 months. He seems like he will be the size of an AB based on the other AB pups here, but he isn't AB, atleast he isn't supposed to be. Who knows these days. Anyways, let me know which u think would be best.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
deuce's mommy said:
Kate said:

Actually Deuce is neither. He is an Olde English Bulldogge. This is why at the pet store I wasn't sure which one to get, Boxer or Bulldog, so I just went with the Bulldog, but I just got a small bag so I could change it if that is what you would advise. He is already 40lbs and he is only 4 months. He seems like he will be the size of an AB based on the other AB pups here, but he isn't AB, atleast he isn't supposed to be. Who knows these days. Anyways, let me know which u think would be best.
lol thats a tough one! He's right in the middle. Well keep him on the bulldog one I would say and see how he does, I guess. I mean neither one will hurt him at all. Just a preferance by you. I guess since hes so young maybe the boxer one would be best as he grows and does need more protien.... I don't know I'm just sort of typing as I am thinking!! Maybe some other people have ideas

Edit... I know how to make posts don't worry!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I feed both my Oldes the bulldog formula. They have done great on it so far. Just outta curiousity, why have you taken him off of puppy food already? I agree totally with taking them off puppy food before a year as they don't need all the fat on their growing joints, but puppies do need extra calcium for their bone development. Maybe you can talk to your vet about getting him a good multi vitamin. I have heard not to put them on a calcium only supplement. Anyways, good luck with the royal canin, I love it!! I hope it works for your little guy!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
well, let me just say, Ekanuba sucks! my dogs hate it....

with that said, i switched them to Royal Canine, and they LOVE it! especially the big chunks, easier for them to chew!

thanks Kate!

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is what we are going to switch Sarge, our Olde English to:

Artemis Large/Medium Breed Puppy

Ingredients:
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Vitamin E, C and Rosemary Extract), Dried Eggs, Fish Meal, Natural Flavoring, Canola Oil, Flaxseed, Fresh Potatoes, Fresh Carrots, Fresh Peas, Whole Fresh Apples, Cranberries, Dried Chicory Root (Prebiotics), Salt, Potassium Chloride, Lecithin, Garlic, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Chelates of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sage Extract, Aspergillus Oryzae Fermantation Soulubles (Digestive Enzyme), Enterococcus Faecium and Lactobacillus Acidophilus(Probiotics).

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 27%
Crude Fat (min) 15%
Moisture (max) 10%
Crude Fiber (max) 3%
Omega 6 (min) 2.6%
Omega 3 (min) 0.4%

1 - 9 of 9 Posts