Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we currently have Nelson (male) almost 9 weeks old...we want another Pit Bull - we are addicted!!!

Friends of mine have an English and an American Staffies and they are both Male, the AMStaff just turned 1 yr old and recently the AmStaff mauled the English Staffie. So I guess 2 Males are out of the question?

Does the same happen with Male & Female? Once they mature?

If this is the case we wont get another but we would love to have 2 dogs growing up together...

Can anyone help me please?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
iluvmypit said:
So we currently have Nelson (male) almost 9 weeks old...we want another Pit Bull - we are addicted!!!

Friends of mine have an English and an American Staffies and they are both Male, the AMStaff just turned 1 yr old and recently the AmStaff mauled the English Staffie. So I guess 2 Males are out of the question?

Does the same happen with Male & Female? Once they mature?

If this is the case we wont get another but we would love to have 2 dogs growing up together...

Can anyone help me please?
It is far more likely to happen with same sex pairs but that does not mean it will 100% happen. But! there is enough uncertainity in the world, I like to play it safe. The odds of opposite sex pairs getting along is much, much greater but still it is not a 100% guarantee that they will get along.
When dealing with Bullies a general rule of thumb is never to trust them not to fight another dog. I think that a lot of people get caught off guard becuase their Bullies loved each other for the past three years so why all of the sudden are they trying to kill each other?It is easy to answer, Bullies do not reach full maturity until they are 2,3,4 and then bam dog aggression. Where there little signs before the big fight probably but us pet owners tend to miss those.

I think that it great that y'all are enjoying Nelson so much but if I were you I would wait until he gets a little older. Not becuase I don't think you sound like great parents but to let him mature a little. Get to know Nelson's personality better. He is still so young it is really hard to predict his level of dog aggression. I would wait to see how well he responds to other dogs when he is older. I am not saying throw him in the nearest dog park and see what happens. I mean wait to see if he tries to drag yo to tear up that other dog walking across the street. Also if you wait you will know how dominate he is, then you can look for a more submissive pup. or a more playful pup...whatever fits your needs and his.

In short opposites attract. Good luck in all you do, Angie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Angie...hmm doesnt seem anything is certain with these dogs huh...maybe better if we just have Nelsy by himself then...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
Good post angie! That's why I prefer a one bully household..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
I definitely understand wanting to have two dogs growing up together! We started looking for a second dog when Bella was about 6 months old but didn't end up getting Remy until she was a year old. (He's a month older than she is.) I think your best bet on a second dog would be to wait until Nelson is an adult (2-3 years old) and adopt an adult female with a set temperament. Of course, it's never guaranteed that they'll never fight, but you'll get a much better sense of how two adults will act around each other when you introduce them as adults instead of letting them grow up together.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,989 Posts
iluvmypit said:
Thx Angie...hmm doesnt seem anything is certain with these dogs huh...maybe better if we just have Nelsy by himself then...

You are so right - nothing is certain with our bullys, but I would not totally drop plans
for another dog at this time. Everyone here has given good advice about waiting to
see what type of temperment Nelson has before making plans. Then when you have
determined this you can make your decision about a multiple dog household, keeping in
mind that everthing multiplies, not just the dogs. Expenses, vet bills, care, exercise time,
play time, space for crates and beds. Just some things to think about when making
your decision.
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,209 Posts
We definitely wanted 2 pitbulls. We got Chapps at 7 months and I wanted another bully because I fell in love with the breed. Because pitbulls are banned here in Ontario (since Aug 2005) we could only have as many pitties as we had before the ban or you were allowed to adopt ONE pitbull if you can show proof he was born BEFORE the ban occured. Chapps was born June 20th 2005. We had every right to own Chapps, but we didn't want to get in trouble and decided on another bully breed. Maybe a ab, maybe some sort of bully mix.
But in the end, we decided we didn't want another bully, we already have one. Holly sort of came to us unexpectedly (Was in an abusive home) when Chapps was 10 months and she was 9 months. She is a boxer/sheperd mix and fit right in. Personally, it's VERY overwheling to have 2 young dogs (Chapps is 15 months, Holly is 14 months) but we would have it no other way. They love each other and it puts my mind at ease that I don't have 2 bullybreeds who could potentially turn dog aggressive, I have one.
Chapps LOVES other pitbulls, I find they have a special connection, but as for having 2.....I think I only have enough love for one large headed, stubborn and beyond goofy bully. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
I definitely understand wanting to have two dogs growing up together! We started looking for a second dog when Bella was about 6 months old but didn't end up getting Remy until she was a year old. (He's a month older than she is.) I think your best bet on a second dog would be to wait until Nelson is an adult (2-3 years old) and adopt an adult female with a set temperament. Of course, it's never guaranteed that they'll never fight, but you'll get a much better sense of how two adults will act around each other when you introduce them as adults instead of letting them grow up together.
Yeah it would be fun to have two, but I dont want to hinder Nelson's enjoyment by doing this. Id also be weary about adoption (personal opinion) just because you never know how they have been raised...
The more I learn about Pit Bulls the more I expect one day Nelson is going to fight with another dog - hopefully this never happens - I wouldnt wanna bring another pitty into Nelson's life then they try and kill each other (it would break my heart too)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gazar said:
iluvmypit said:
Thx Angie...hmm doesnt seem anything is certain with these dogs huh...maybe better if we just have Nelsy by himself then...

You are so right - nothing is certain with our bullys, but I would not totally drop plans
for another dog at this time. Everyone here has given good advice about waiting to
see what type of temperment Nelson has before making plans. Then when you have
determined this you can make your decision about a multiple dog household, keeping in
mind that everthing multiplies, not just the dogs. Expenses, vet bills, care, exercise time,
play time, space for crates and beds. Just some things to think about when making
your decision.
:D
Additional expenses do not matter to us, we spend all of our time with Nelson, we dont use creates - but you make good points. I think I will have to make the call not to get another - there is too much risk involved... :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ChappsnHolly said:
We definitely wanted 2 pitbulls. We got Chapps at 7 months and I wanted another bully because I fell in love with the breed. Because pitbulls are banned here in Ontario (since Aug 2005) we could only have as many pitties as we had before the ban or you were allowed to adopt ONE pitbull if you can show proof he was born BEFORE the ban occured. Chapps was born June 20th 2005. We had every right to own Chapps, but we didn't want to get in trouble and decided on another bully breed. Maybe a ab, maybe some sort of bully mix.
But in the end, we decided we didn't want another bully, we already have one. Holly sort of came to us unexpectedly (Was in an abusive home) when Chapps was 10 months and she was 9 months. She is a boxer/sheperd mix and fit right in. Personally, it's VERY overwheling to have 2 young dogs (Chapps is 15 months, Holly is 14 months) but we would have it no other way. They love each other and it puts my mind at ease that I don't have 2 bullybreeds who could potentially turn dog aggressive, I have one.
Chapps LOVES other pitbulls, I find they have a special connection, but as for having 2.....I think I only have enough love for one large headed, stubborn and beyond goofy bully. :)
So sad that such a beautiful breed is being banned...In Australia there are HEAPS of regulations we have to follow because it is a restricted breed.

Wouldnt it be heaps of fun to breed Pit Bulls...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,493 Posts
Does the same happen with Male & Female? Once they mature?
It most definitely can. Unless you are willing to crate & rotate the dogs so that they never come into contact with each other, then don't do it. These dogs were bred to be human companions, not another dog's companion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
iluvmypit said:
Id also be weary about adoption (personal opinion) just because you never know how they have been raised...
In most cases, it doesn't really matter. Reputable rescues do thorough temperament testing and would never place a dog with any kind of aggression issues. My Remy was raised in a very neglectful environment (left in a crate full of his own urine for who-knows-how-many hours a day). He was most likely abused as well (he cowers and tucks his tail when we raise our voices), but he is the most loving, sweet, trusting dog I have ever met.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,493 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
iluvmypit said:
Id also be weary about adoption (personal opinion) just because you never know how they have been raised...
In most cases, it doesn't really matter. Reputable rescues do thorough temperament testing and would never place a dog with any kind of aggression issues. My Remy was raised in a very neglectful environment (left in a crate full of his own urine for who-knows-how-many hours a day). He was most likely abused as well (he cowers and tucks his tail when we raise our voices), but he is the most loving, sweet, trusting dog I have ever met.
So true. I've got a dog who was totally neglected (found on a chain that weighed more than she did, she had hooks, rounds, coccidia, & parvo & was living in a mud hole with no shelter) AND she is deaf yet she is the greatest dog. A dog with a stable/correct temperament can overcome anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Miakoda said:
Does the same happen with Male & Female? Once they mature?
It most definitely can. Unless you are willing to crate & rotate the dogs so that they never come into contact with each other, then don't do it. These dogs were bred to be human companions, not another dog's companion.
I dont crate Nelson.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
iluvmypit said:
Id also be weary about adoption (personal opinion) just because you never know how they have been raised...
In most cases, it doesn't really matter. Reputable rescues do thorough temperament testing and would never place a dog with any kind of aggression issues. My Remy was raised in a very neglectful environment (left in a crate full of his own urine for who-knows-how-many hours a day). He was most likely abused as well (he cowers and tucks his tail when we raise our voices), but he is the most loving, sweet, trusting dog I have ever met.
Thats so sad, Remy looks so happy in your pic, Im sure she adores you for adopting her :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
we have 6 pits....ahhhhhh
as of now.....lol
and they all get along beautifully.........
each has their own personality.......but they love each other completely....
occassional fights or arguments are to be expected......they are just like children....in my eyes......
but they make up quickly with kisses and loving on one another.......
one even came from an abusive home........he is the sweetest
and another came from neglectful home
both wonderful........
but a handful.....if you have the time they need.........then you would be fine......
they are a lot of work........
but the love they give in return is worth every second i spend working with them and cuddling.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
chewylovesmack said:
we have 6 pits....ahhhhhh
as of now.....lol
and they all get along beautifully.........
each has their own personality.......but they love each other completely....
occassional fights or arguments are to be expected......they are just like children....in my eyes......
but they make up quickly with kisses and loving on one another.......
one even came from an abusive home........he is the sweetest
and another came from neglectful home
both wonderful........
but a handful.....if you have the time they need.........then you would be fine......
they are a lot of work........
but the love they give in return is worth every second i spend working with them and cuddling.....
Are people scared to come to your house?...joke

Thats great to hear a positive story about 6 pitty's living in harmony. Im willing to put any time/work/tears into Nelsons training as possible. So can I ask do you put your dogs in those comps? Agility etc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,493 Posts
chewylovesmack said:
we have 6 pits....ahhhhhh
as of now.....lol
and they all get along beautifully.........
each has their own personality.......but they love each other completely....
occassional fights or arguments are to be expected......they are just like children....in my eyes......
but they make up quickly with kisses and loving on one another.......
one even came from an abusive home........he is the sweetest
and another came from neglectful home
both wonderful........
but a handful.....if you have the time they need.........then you would be fine......
they are a lot of work........
but the love they give in return is worth every second i spend working with them and cuddling.....
Ahhhh.....I've got 48 & 1 on the way.

And I NEVER said they cannot get along with other dogs some of the time, but the majority of them do not get along with other dogs. And to leave a huge group of dogs alone together (or even just 2) is asking to come home to a dead one eventually.

I had a male & female that "loved" each other too, until the age of 5, when for some unknown reason they began to fight right there on my couch & in the end I had one really messed up dog & from that day forward, neither could stand the sight of the other.

What is it with trying to deny history & why these dogs are bred? Because of that breeding, one can never expect an APBT or "pit bull" to always get along with other dogs they "love". They weren't bred to be pack animals.

If yours get along, great. But don't preach to other people that they will all get along nicely. It's better to be cautious & explain ALL sides of the arguement instead of giving people false hope.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top