Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Weight Loss

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Carrie 
#1 ·
I have a 1yr 4mo old English Bulldog. 2 weeks ago I took him in for an ear infection. At the vet he weighed in at 53 lbs. I noticed that he has lost some weight so I weighed him again. Now he is 43 lbs. There was a span of 2 days were he wouldn't touch his food. I think it is because of the ear infection. Now he is eating regularly. Right now I am feeding him 1 1/2 cup dry Canidae and 1/2 can of wet Canidae twice a day. Should I increase his food a little bit to try to get is weight back up. Or just leave it the same.

#2 ·
I would make sure you find out WHY he is lossing so much weight then I would try to get it back on. You don't want to increase his food to much because you don't want him to gain to fast. Slow weight gaining is alway better. If everything is better health wise then I would increase the food intake a little at a time. Feed him whatever the amount is then in 2 days increase it by maybe 1/2 cup of dry food and see how he is doing. if he eats all that and you don't see a gain then increase a little again. This will take time. You won't see results right away.

#3 ·
A 10 pound weight loss is pretty significant for just a couple days of not eating. I would suggest you take him in and have him checked out. If he is eating now, I wouldn't increase his food..just maintain him and see what he put's on..if it was just a few days without food and there are no other problems, he will catch up soon...overfeeding can cause more damage than underfeeding in a short time span.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.