Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been using the choke chain to teach my pup not to pull on the leash and walk by my side. In 2months once he hits a half year I want to get him into weight pulling. Do you guys think he will pull the wagon? since im teaching him not to pull on his leash. Hes not THAT food motivated or toy motivated so i cant just drag a treat along and he'll pull it. :scratch:

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
xxmind0vermatter said:
are you saying i have a mickey mouse vet? he told me 6 months minimum
I would venture to guess that most vets don't really know a whole lot about weight pulling.

·
Registered
451 Posts
xxmind0vermatter said:
Your vet doesn't know what he's talking about. Ask anyone who competes in WP, you don't start a PUPPY in weight pull. You have to wait until they're mature. I'd wait until it's 1.5 yrs, but like I said, some people start with light weights around 1yr (I'm talking starting at like 5lbs).

But hey, go ahead and damage your puppy's body by making him pull weight :roll:

·
Registered
722 Posts
xxmind0vermatter said:
Um, yeah. LOL - not being rude, just honest. Your pups bones aren't done growing and forming at 6 months and having him pull any kind of weight can effect how his bones grow. If you want to be safe and keep your pup as healthy as possible, I'd wait until at least a year before putting any weight on him. What could start doing at 6 months is get him a weight pull harness and get him use to wearing that. You could also add a 20 oz bottle with some rocks or pennies in it to the end of the harness so that he can get use to the noise behind him.

Training a dog for weight pulling is a slow process. If he gets spooked out by the harness/noise/weight... anything... he may never want to pull again. You've got to make it a fun thing for him and don't try to rush it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I personally don't recommend doing heavy weight with a pup until they are 12-14 months...on the other end of the spectrum though, the big kennels that breed strictly for weightpull, start thier pups YOUNG. I have seen them starting them at 8 weeks old and have them pulling 1000 pounds or more by the age of 6 months. Regulations just state that dogs can compete no younger than 12 months of age (so obviously, most folks start training well before that so they can compete successfully at 12 months of age)

Again...I would never pull heavyweight prior to a year of age. Pulling heavy weight before the growth plates are finished fusing can break a dog down fast...you could end up with a dysplastic, highly arthritic, weak boned, structural wreck before the dog even makes it to 3 years of age. The weightpull bigtimers want to start young, see how the dog holds up..if it is still together at 2 or 3, it is bred..if not, it is euthanized.

As far as starting a dog, if you have good solid obedience on leash, the dog should have no problems distinguishing between walking on a leash and pulling in a harness. I always had solid OB work, then I would start with them just walking in thier WP harness (while healing on leash) once they were accustomed to that, I would have them pull milk jugs filled with rocks (they feel a little resistance from the light weight as well as hearing the noise of the rocks)The next step is logging chain..drag just the chain over distance for conditioning..3 days a week, attach free weights to the chain. Many people use free weights on sleds as well. Once your dog has been conditioning for some time, then you can start some heavier weight in the regulation 16 ft pull. I have pulled out vehicles, riding lawnmower, usded a modifies wagon, etc. This is obviously a very basic run through and shouldn't substitue for a well written out training regimen, but it should give you the basics. All my distance conditioning is done on leash with the dog in it's harness...basically like a walk with weight. Most dogs really enjoy it, so when it's time to pull 16 ft with heavy weight, they do it because they want to. I act like a idiot..I jump up and down, making goofy noisies with lots of "good dog" to get them hyped up and pulling the heavier stuff. If you can find a mentor in weightpull, you will be much better off.

My hats off go to Steve Lewis of Lewis Bulldogs...he got me started years back and gave me a good foundation.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Bam Bam is a haus

One of my AB's is six months now and 70lbs. He's my first AB that im going to weight pull with. For the next six months im going to work on good solid OB training until a year old. There's no reason for me to even buy a harness for him yet because in two months he will have grown out of it. At one year Ill begin him with the harness and SLOWELY begin to add in weight but even then just so he can get use to the noise, something dragging behinde him, and low weight over long distances is good for them to develop the proper form. Im not going to even try to get him to pull anything heavy untill 1.5yrs.

Bam Bam this weekend. 6 months old. Happy half birthday Bam

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
dreamofwrx said:
so dont even bother getting a harness until six months of age? just a regular walking harness say with a chain to get them used to the noise for now?
I bought a regular walking harness,and altered it to go behind the behind(lol) with an extra peice, and am tieing thin rope and milk jugs behind them to start. No weight yet.This is just to start them with getting used to something trailing behind. Later I will add pennies, eventually sand. Then we will move up from there. But no weight yet.At all.I am attending a giant WP seminar tomorrow, will let you know if I learn anything else!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.