Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot about weight pulling online and it seems like a lot of dogs enjoy doing it. It also seems good for the dogs for exercise and socialization. I was thinking that when Bruiser gets older I would get him involved in this. I don't know alot about it though, except what I've been reading online. So, I thought I'd ask everybody to see what y'all know and thought about weight pulling.

·
Registered
807 Posts
You can start on the OB part of weight pulling now. Just dont put any real weight on your dog. Attach a bottle full of rocks, or something that makes noise get them used to the sound of something getting pulled behind them. Get a routine down just like if you were going to do a real pull! Getting your dog to pull with the proper form is also key, getting them to keep their head down and not let slack get into the rope. Lots of things you can work on at a young age.

·
Registered
65 Posts
we were interested in this for luna also. but getting her used to the noise is where we ran into trouble. we were thinking that even just having her pull us around on skateboards might be fun, but she was very skittish.

rocks in a bottle huh? i'll give it a try, see what happens. even now, as she getting into her teenage-phase, she's got so much energy that we can't even begin to keep up with! i think this is a good solution...

anyone have any websites that give step by step guidelines for getting into pulling?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I think weight pulling is great for them! I just love the way they look when they're really digging in! We're really hoping to get our AB, Chopper into it. We're in the market for a harness for him right now. I'm hoping to start him out in the spring. Not that this board isn't great, but some working boards will be able to give you more info. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
thanks - i'm looking at all the info, trying to take it all in!
hey kasco, where are you in ny? we're coming back to bklyn in a few months - wondering if we'll have a buddy...?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
luna said:
thanks - i'm looking at all the info, trying to take it all in!
hey kasco, where are you in ny? we're coming back to bklyn in a few months - wondering if we'll have a buddy...?
Welll...I'm about 6-7 hours from Bklyn! LOL I'm in upstate NY. But, if you're ever in my neck of the woods...look me up!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts