Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What supplies do we need or should we have on hand for welping? Rainey (the beagle that we found abandoned in S.C.) is definitely pregnant. Since we found her on October 6th, we know she is due on December 9th or before.

It was really weird. All of this time we were going back and forth debating whether she was pregnant. Midway through this past week it became very apparent that she is. It was like her mammarys doubled size over night. She is starting to get clingy, whiney and is eating everything in sight. I don't know if any of that means anything or not.

We are working on a welping box and have plenty of newspaper and towels to line it with, but other than that what do we need. I was thinking: a heating pad to keep the puppies warm (while she is still giving birth to the others) and one of those blue bulby things (incase I have to suction out the puppies noses and mouths). Do I need to cut the umbilical cords or will she do it.

Sorry I have no idea. Thanks for your help.
BTW, anyone looking for a non-bully puppy? :lol:

Here are some pictures of the little fatty.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I missed something, but I didn't really find any information other than how to buy her book. I will look again.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Hair dryer You may want to blow dry the pups to dry them off. Great for a sluggish pup too, gets him going.
Stethoscope - to listen for heartbeats and to make sure all pups are whelped
Towels - lots of them. If you think you have enough, your wrong. get more. Rub the puppies hard to stimulate them.
Karo Syrup - Weak pups get fast energy from a few drops of Karo Syrup.
Styptic powder - to stop bleeding
Hemostats - for crimping the umbilical cord and to stop it from bleeding
Dull scissors - for cutting the umbilical cord, dull scissors crimp as well as cut
Paper and pen - to record the time each pups are born, and how much time lapse between pups. Record each placenta. Identify each pup. Notes on behavior of your female so you will remember next time she has a litter.
Heating pad - keep on low setting, with a towel over it. Keep the pups warm.
Bulb syringe - to aspirate fluids from nose and throat. Start with the throat, and then the nostrils.
Best Bulb syrange. Good for getting deep in the thraot
Antiseptic - to apply to umbilical cord
Paper towels
Garbage can
Scale - to weigh pups at birth. Monitor pups weight until you see them double their birth weight
Identity marker - some band or marker to distinguish each pup
Camera - If you e-mail me a good gif or jpeg file of your pups being born I will add them to my book
Novel - to read, whelping can last for hours
Beer - Nope not for you..... two teaspoons for mom if she has no milk. (Based on a 10 pound dog) Large breeds 1/4 cup.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
ultimatek9 said:
Maybe I missed something, but I didn't really find any information other than how to buy her book. I will look again.
Oops! Sorry I forgot to tell you you have to scroll down they have things on the left sides. On First signs of labor, whelping supplies, etc

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
SagaandRagnar said:
Hair dryer You may want to blow dry the pups to dry them off. Great for a sluggish pup too, gets him going.
Stethoscope - to listen for heartbeats and to make sure all pups are whelped
Towels - lots of them. If you think you have enough, your wrong. get more. Rub the puppies hard to stimulate them.
Karo Syrup - Weak pups get fast energy from a few drops of Karo Syrup.
Styptic powder - to stop bleeding
Hemostats - for crimping the umbilical cord and to stop it from bleeding
Dull scissors - for cutting the umbilical cord, dull scissors crimp as well as cut
Paper and pen - to record the time each pups are born, and how much time lapse between pups. Record each placenta. Identify each pup. Notes on behavior of your female so you will remember next time she has a litter.
Heating pad - keep on low setting, with a towel over it. Keep the pups warm.
Bulb syringe - to aspirate fluids from nose and throat. Start with the throat, and then the nostrils.
Best Bulb syrange. Good for getting deep in the thraot
Antiseptic - to apply to umbilical cord
Paper towels
Garbage can
Scale - to weigh pups at birth. Monitor pups weight until you see them double their birth weight
Identity marker - some band or marker to distinguish each pup
Camera - If you e-mail me a good gif or jpeg file of your pups being born I will add them to my book
Novel - to read, whelping can last for hours
Beer - Nope not for you..... two teaspoons for mom if she has no milk. (Based on a 10 pound dog) Large breeds 1/4 cup.
Great info Sahrene! You HAVE done your research! :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts