Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After experiencing great results with our female in the last year (she turned a year in September) and the desire for her to have a playmate since both my wife and I are pretty busy and we figured that having a playmate could help our dogs development since she's alone alot we went out and bought a new male pup..... Got to browse the puppies the guy had and meet the parents and see the environment the parents lived in.... I was very impressed to say the least. The mother was a very good size blue and the father was an enormous (at least 100lbs) rednose..... We ended up getting the pick of the litter surprisingly.... I'm thinking this male is going to be a gigantic dog..... his paws are huge and he is barely 12 weeks and weighs 25 lbs!!! Is that big for a 12 week puppy???
Anyways we named him "Tank" cause that was what the breeder was calling him initially and it fit perfectly for what he looks like....

So here's a few pictures of both our 1 year old female Asia and our new addition to the fam Tank, followed by a few questions about training....

as a puppy

a few months ago before her 1st b-day

Here's tank with my 7 yr old son

a pic with both my kids (my almost 5 yr old kid is on the right for size comparison)

Doing what he does best...

As far as my questions are is that this puppy is WILD!!! Our female was really relaxed as a puppy and just wanted to lay on your lap and crash out... This dog wants to get into everything. If I let him he'd eat my couch, my television, wires from the stereo, pencils, and ANYTHING else within eating distance... and he is extremely persistent when he's told "NO" about something he shouldn't be doing.. Is there something else I can get to dissuade him from trying to eat everything??? I've heard rocks in a can and shake it up when he does something wrong cause they don't like the sound???? Is this just personality differences between the two dogs that I have to deal with and continue training them the same as I did my female (whom by the way is EXTREMELY obedient) who can be walked off a leash and remains a foot from me at all times, kennels up with voice command, and does all the usual obedience commands like sit, down, stay, etc..... any male specific training tips cuz these dogs seem like they are night and day when it comes to personality traits..... :D

TIA

Jason, Asia, Tank

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Patience, grasshopper. Persistence is the key. Keep showing him that you are the alpha and definitely let him burn off that energy playing with you and your other dog. It's also not too early to start a puppy class with him for some basic obedience.

My guys were about 20 pounds at 12 weeks, and they're tall boxer mixes, so I think you're going to have a big boy on your hands! Congrats on the new pup, though. Beautiful family!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Do you plan on leaving these 2 dogs alone together when you are gone? Is that what you are saying? Remember the heritage of these dogs.

BTW, I would suggest you get a crate and use it when your pup is being unruly and you are unable to supervise. It will save you alot of frustration.

12 weeks and 25# already?? Are you sure these are purebred APBT's???

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Lisa said:
Do you plan on leaving these 2 dogs alone together when you are gone? Is that what you are saying? Remember the heritage of these dogs.

BTW, I would suggest you get a crate and use it when your pup is being unruly and you are unable to supervise. It will save you alot of frustration.

12 weeks and 25# already?? Are you sure these are purebred APBT's???
It looks part Rottie possibly. You got "pick of the litter" "surprisingly", that's because it doesn't sound like you visited a reputable breeder, sadly enough. I hope this all turns out ok. Please don't leave this dog and your other alone together. I hope you did not pay too much for this dog. An adoption from your local shelter would have been as good of bet, it sounds like.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
He's adorable...and no he's not pure, not to upset the OP but he's got merle in his legs not APBT ticking, he's big but that's how they're being produced in CA right now and people never believe my dog is a APBT, because that's all Californians see right now.
I don't think he's Rott, people always assume tri-colors are rotts, who could have a rott decendant Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the line and that's why he's big, but it could be a mastiff, an American Bulldog which often get confused with APBT especially if they're on the small side, there are lots of different variables to get such a big APBT. He's adorable, he looks like a tri-color APBT, and rambunxious I'm sure, just get some good positive training going hard core at 5 months and you'll have a great dog!

I am firm believer in the crate as well, Walmart has the best price by far, get the wire kennels my pup loves that one way more than the airline crate style, it's so helpful, consistancy and not falling into the whining the first couple days, I just continue to tell the puppy to "lay down... shhhh" in a soft voice, and eventually he stops.

When Darla was about 6-7 months old we started training her with milkbones in the crate and telling her go home, now all we say is go home and voila into the crate she goes! It's a wonderful tool.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Pitchic27 said:
but it could be a mastiff.
I think there was most definately english mastiff in the mix to create that color. It is the exact same color that is found in many RB's as well, and they used a bandog (apbt X english mastiff) cross when creating the breed. This is where the RB gets the color from, and the markings are identical:

PS: asiapbt you have beautiful dogs. Not trying to knock them at all, but the 2nd dog is likely a bandog (apbt with some mastiff blood in there). They make great dogs + pets too, but you will see it grow to a larger size than most apbt's. I can already see the bone structure, it's very nice + thick in Tank..and look at those beefy paws! He's going to be a beaut!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
redbull said:
Pitchic27 said:
but it could be a mastiff.
I think there was most definately english mastiff in the mix to create that color. It is the exact same color that is found in many RB's as well, and they used a bandog (apbt X english mastiff) cross when creating the breed. This is where the RB gets the color from, and the markings are identical:

:withstupid: :lol: Thanks Red great comparison!

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Asia's (in first b-day pic) coat is absolutly beautiful...how did you
get it sooo shiney? She is gorgeous...i love her ears (are they
cropped or they just stick up?)

Your puppy is gonna be a monster...looks at those tree trunks
for legs :lol:
That first pic of Tank looks almost like a hound mix...
might just be the way he's being held? :?
Anyways...a cutie!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Unfortunately when dealing with an unethical breeder (or BYB) there's no telling what is in the mix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies.... This is really good albeit surprising info for me.... No I do not intend to keep these dogs alone together unsupervised.... my intention is to do a double kennel as an add on to what I have right now (Asia has her own chainlink 10X10 with a dog house) that's outside..... So they won't be alone together unsupervised....

Asia's ear's aren't cropped they just stick up like that... She can still do it to this day.... I got her coat like that by frequently bathing her and keeping her brushed frequently....

Now onto the purebred versus mixed breed subject.... The parents whom I saw personally were most definitely pitbulls.... So how far down the line do you think there might be another dog breed in there??? Cuz the parents were definitely the real deal..... And the breeder wasn't a professional breeder however he had his dogs in a really good setup kennel system, extremely clean and both parents were very well mannered as were all the pups we saw..... I'm just wondering if both parents showed no signs of a different breed in their coloring how is it so quickly apparent that he isn't pure???? Just for my own personal knowledge???? On the line of price the pups were originally selling for a higher price but didn't sell too fast one because the guy lived a good distance from anything so he dropped the price significantly.... I also got a good deal cause my brother in law bought a female pup as well....

Either way, he's a great dog so far, I do have a crate that I trained Asia with and so far it's going very well as he's starting to respond to voice commands about as good as a 12 week old pup should I guess..... Thanks for the input....

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
asiapbt said:
Now onto the purebred versus mixed breed subject.... The parents whom I saw personally were most definitely pitbulls.... So how far down the line do you think there might be another dog breed in there??? Cuz the parents were definitely the real deal..... And the breeder wasn't a professional breeder however he had his dogs in a really good setup kennel system, extremely clean and both parents were very well mannered as were all the pups we saw..... I'm just wondering if both parents showed no signs of a different breed in their coloring how is it so quickly apparent that he isn't pure???? Just for my own personal knowledge????
This breed varies so dramatically in color just in birth colorss that it's very hard to tell how far down it is....you can have a red dog and a blue dog give birth to blue, blacks, piebalds(cow patches), chocolates all in the same litter. I think he is just gorgeous, I LOVE tri-colors (and your going to get the rott comment the rest of his life, it's the tan points above the eyes that get people saying that.) The visual redbull gace you is a great example of how they SNEAK other breeds in to get bigger bulkier looking APBT's to exist. Blockier heads, etc. One of the parents all though not looking like your pup holds the genes to make him look like that, did I miss the part where he gave you papers on the dog? If so their hung. No worries unless you paid a lot then oh well, he's into your families heart now and there's no going back :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I paid significantly less for Tank than I did Asia.... and yes the person I bought him from did not have papers on the pups but it's what I expected for what I paid for him.... Either way whether or not he's 100% APBT or 90/10 or whatever i'm just glad he looks like a pit and he's going to be big.... so basically I got what I wanted I suppose since I'm imagining most full grown purebred APBT's rarely reach 100lbs right????

Got any insight on Asia at all??? I paid a good price for her and met both of her parents but I'm wondering if you saw anything in her color or bone/body structure that said something isn't right???? you guys are good at this, I appreciate all the help....

BTW, with leaving the dogs alone how long do you think they can play together unsupervised? Like obviously I won't leave them together and go out on the town but can they be trusted to play together for 5 minutes by themselves without killing each other???? I let them play together now (Asia is 52lbs and gets a bit rough with Tank but it's all playful without any growling or aggression) supervised and figured if they grew up together there wouldn't be much of a problem.... I know the heritage of the breed is fighting so my intention was to have them live/sleep seperated but play together as much as possible...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Asia looks way closer to APBT, except the ears are a fault they are called Rose prick the way they stand up and she may have down the line been mixed with possibly a bull terrier, or another breed with ears that stand raised. Her size and stature look great and she's just gorgeous. Tank looks to be taking after his name and will probably reach close or over 100 lbs. He's a big un! Our girl is slender and gazelle looking and is 45 lbs of muscle that can pull you half down the block she is pretty much on task for the breed standards.

As far as unsupervised play, I'm not totally sure what your talking about...I mean them sleeping together while your at home should be totally acceptable and preferred...but if they end up not being compatible you have to be willing to crate and rotate them the rest of tehir lives to ensure their safety and you kids. Are they both fixed? That's another way to keep it mellow in your house. A couple hints I'm sure others will chime in!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Pitchic27 said:
Asia looks way closer to APBT, except the ears are a fault they are called Rose prick the way they stand up and she may have down the line been mixed with possibly a bull terrier, or another breed with ears that stand raised.
Ears that stand up like that are called just "prick." Bella's ears are rose prick (or just "rose"), and that and semi-prick ears are preferred, conformationally.

ETA: Asia's ears are semi-prick in the first picture and prick in the 2nd picture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool, I'm getting Asia fixed very soon, and I will probably get Tank done once he's old enough.... So right now neither of them are but Asia is first.... I would have had her done earlier but her "time" came and I couldn't get it done while she was in her heat cycle..... so now it's over and i need to schedule her....

Thanks for all the info about both of them. I am glad that Tank is going to be big like I wanted him regardless of what he might be mixed with...

As far as sleeping together my plan was to kennel them up seperately so they'll sleep apart but play together.... They seem to be pretty compatible as it is now. I introduced Tank to Asia and she seems to love him.... she showed ZERO signs of any aggression and was more intent on playing with him than anything else as she tried to run circles around him and chased him all over my backyard having a great time.... Tank even played with some of her toys (A rope with knots that SHE loves) and when he took the rope and ran off she just put her mouth on it and they ran around together both holding the rope in their mouths... So, so far all seems well on their compatibility..... Might things change when Tank outgrows her?????

Again thanks for the compliments and the help with all the info.... Your dogs are great looking as well.....

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
asiapbt said:
As far as sleeping together my plan was to kennel them up seperately so they'll sleep apart but play together.... They seem to be pretty compatible as it is now. I introduced Tank to Asia and she seems to love him.... she showed ZERO signs of any aggression and was more intent on playing with him than anything else as she tried to run circles around him and chased him all over my backyard having a great time.... Tank even played with some of her toys (A rope with knots that SHE loves) and when he took the rope and ran off she just put her mouth on it and they ran around together both holding the rope in their mouths... So, so far all seems well on their compatibility..... Might things change when Tank outgrows her?????
It'll always be a possibility. They're still puppies, so it's no surprise that they get along so well now. Keep a very close eye on them when Asia hits full maturity at about 2 years of age. Keep two very close eyes on them when Tank reaches maturity. :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Pitchic27 said:
Asia looks way closer to APBT, except the ears are a fault they are called Rose prick the way they stand up and she may have down the line been mixed with possibly a bull terrier, or another breed with ears that stand raised.
Ears that stand up like that are called just "prick." Bella's ears are rose prick (or just "rose"), and that and semi-prick ears are preferred, conformationally.

ETA: Asia's ears are semi-prick in the first picture and prick in the 2nd picture.
:lol: Thanks for correcting me Leanne - I am so short on sleep I seriousl.y should not be typing!

Amber

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I'm just wondering if both parents showed no signs of a different breed in their coloring how is it so quickly apparent that he isn't pure????
It is possible the mom got "caught" by another dog and the litter has 2 (or more) different fathers. No matter what they say or what their set up looks like, this could have occured.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Pitchic27 said:
:lol: Thanks for correcting me Leanne - I am so short on sleep I seriousl.y should not be typing!

Amber
It's easy to mix up! When Bella was a little pup, someone told me that she has beautiful rose ears. (I think he called them "rose bud ears.") I had no idea what that was, so I went home and Googled it. I probably wouldn't know the difference between the types of earsets if that guy hadn't made that comment to me that made me go do some research!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow dogs can get pregnant from different fathers at the same time???? Now that's something I definitely didn't know.....

Interesting......

1 - 20 of 35 Posts