Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is VERY important to us that all of the critters get along. Loki has always been fine and gentle with the cats. Jesse, on the other hand, has always wanted to just chase them. And my cats are not the type to fight back; they run away.

It's been difficult, but we have been vigilant and Jesse seems to finally be understanding that he can't chase the cats. We've had more and more peaceful moments and it's looking like our intricate system of baby gates can come down soon --

Here's some pics of everyone getting along - with FOOD involved, no less!

"Psst... do you think between the two of us we can take her?"

Just wanted to share... we're really psyched that it's looking like we will eventually have a peacefully coexisting household! :D

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
That is great but how did you do it? :shock:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
that's great to hear!!

my dogs wont tolerate cats, no matter what! We have tried!! One of the cats (my moms) hid in the basement for 6 months and almost died (wouldn't eat). The minute the hubby and I moved out, shes perfect right now. Some cats can't handle the stress...I am happy yours did!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
angie7349 said:
That is great but how did you do it? :shock:
Well with Loki it was no work at all... he just liked the cats.

With Jesse, we set up baby gates so that when we can't watch closely, everyone is separated. Then we worked REALLY hard on getting a reliable "Leave it!" with Jesse. We applied that "leave it!" to the cats when he tried to chase them, followed up with physically grabbing him and not allowing him to chase the cats. I can't tell you how handy it is to have a really reliable "Leave it!"... it has been a Godsend!

When we are just hanging out and able to supervise, we open up the baby gates and allow the cats to stroll through the room. When Jesse remains laying down or sitting, we praise him like crazy. When he jumps up like he wants to go after them, we say "Leave it!" and enforce it.

(Also very important - the cats always have an "escape". They have baby gates that they can go under, but the dog can't fit... and they also have a 6-foot tall multi-level scratching post that we resigned ourselves to living with. So they can perch on that thing and know they're safe from the dogs.)

What helps a lot with Jesse is that he has no aggression towards the cats... even when he wants to chase them, his tail is wagging and he is wiggling all over. It would be different, I think, if he meant any harm to the cats. He does not have cat aggression in him; he just wants to play with them. And he seems to have discovered lately that when he lays still, the cats will come up to him. So now he's been sort of dropping to the floor when he sees them, which is nice.

We'll still never leave any of them alone together, but it will be nice to be able to watch a movie or be on the computer with both the dogs and the cats in the room hanging out... which they are right now, actually! It's great!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Lizzie said:
It is VERY important to us that all of the critters get along. Loki has always been fine and gentle with the cats. Jesse, on the other hand, has always wanted to just chase them. And my cats are not the type to fight back; they run away.

It's been difficult, but we have been vigilant and Jesse seems to finally be understanding that he can't chase the cats. We've had more and more peaceful moments and it's looking like our intricate system of baby gates can come down soon --

Here's some pics of everyone getting along - with FOOD involved, no less!

"Psst... do you think between the two of us we can take her?"

Just wanted to share... we're really psyched that it's looking like we will eventually have a peacefully coexisting household! :D
Could you sprinkle some of the over here?!! Happy for you :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Gotta laugh your cat post looks just like the one I have SHREDDED to bits!

It just takes time, Joe (aka Josie) loves cats. It took a little while for Trixie to like him back, but well Stanley just tolarates him. And heck the two baby kittens just love Joe to death, Joe would cuddle them every chance he got. He helped raise them since they were a week old and orphaned. SO I can tell you there is hope when it comes to dogs and cats getting along.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
It is really nice when everyone gets along.
Orson was no problem either, he just likes cats.
There was already one here when he was brought home as a puppy, so he grew up around a cat, now we have adopted 2 more.
The kitten sleeps with him and the other new adult cat is learning to
tolerate him.
But he still doesnt understand why they wont play fetch with him? :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts