Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Synopsis:
I bought my American Bulldog girl LOLA about 3 weeks ago from a couple that had their first litter. No papers on the pup, but the parents are forsure AB, very gentle, obedient, and graceful. LOLA's mom was a rescued dog from some guy that attempted to "FIGHT" her but i guess she didn't perform and ended up being beatin. She was found chained up in some jerk's backyard. I think that is why she's timid/shy.

Now i bought LOLA at 14 weeks and noticed that she is shy of people and if approached too quickly, she squats and pees and either a nervous tendancy or just a bad habit? Is this normal? She shows no aggression, rather a submissive tailwagging episode which happens 50% of the time. I also found out after i bought her that she has a congenital defect. The Left Ear didn't fully develop - she basically only has one WORKING ear, the left EXTERNAL ear is present but when you look into it, it looks like a UFC Fighters ear (Cauliflower ear), with no hole or auditory tubes going to her noggin. So i have a UNILATERAL Hearing doggy...

1. How can i remedy her pee pee spells?
2. Is a Unilateral, Partially deaf dog harder to train?

SUGGESTIONS? thanks guys/ladies - alot for a 1st time Owned Owner.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It's called submissive urination and the best thing to do is ignore it, and distract her when you come in the door, etc, or when she'll be likely to do it, when you first arrive home, ignore her completely.
http://www.dogdaysusa.com/behaviorcenter_urination.asp there's some great hints here for dealing with the issue. Above all do not punish her for it (you didn't say you did but just in case!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've never punished her for doing the introduction tinkle... i guess my main concern was whether my dog is too timid since i've read over and over again that this american bulldogs aren't supposed to be this way. Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, she doesn't urinate with members of my immediate family or if she's greeting new people in the our house... it is more when i'm walking her out on the street and the neighborhood wants to come meet her. Will this go away?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
What type of rescue dog gets bred? :shock: I find it awful that someone would rescue a dog from a bad situation only to turn around and breed it in order to make money. Stories like that make me sick.

BTW. It does sound exactly like submissive urination and no it is not normal. American Bulldogs should be bold and courageous not so nervous and timid that they they pee themselves. Sorry to break this to you but health and temperment problems are common when you buy from a backyard breeder. Hopefully next time you buy a dog you will do more research.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
silvabjeffreyLOLA said:
i've never punished her for doing the introduction tinkle... i guess my main concern was whether my dog is too timid since i've read over and over again that this american bulldogs aren't supposed to be this way. Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, she doesn't urinate with members of my immediate family or if she's greeting new people in the our house... it is more when i'm walking her out on the street and the neighborhood wants to come meet her. Will this go away?
That is very common, yes, and she ought to outgrow it if you just ignore it.
But like the last poster suggested, her parents temperament hasn't been/wasn't proven so who knows about the timidness or shyness. But keep her on the right track, do obedience training, she'll become more confident when she pleases you and does what you tell her, Puppy Kindergarten at a formal training place might be the best thing you could do at this point.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Lisa said:
What type of rescue dog gets bred? :shock: I find it awful that someone would rescue a dog from a bad situation only to turn around and breed it in order to make money. Stories like that make me sick.

That's the first thing I thought when reading the post..
That's so sad.
:cry:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
PitBullRoyalty said:
Lisa said:

That's the first thing I thought when reading the post..
That's so sad.
:cry:
I thought the same as well and now this pup has all kinds of issues and who knows what problems its siblings have.I sure hope they fix those dogs not to pass on these issues to yet another generation.

Best of luck with your pup :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JUST FOR CLARIFICATION: These were NOT BREEDERS... they don't BREED. This young couple own two American Bulldogs and they HAD A LITTER. It was not for gain. I understand that people dish and fork out loads of money for American Bulldogs because they're just damn beautiful and they have the working spirit - I didn't buy my dog for these reasons. I'm not going to work her....

She's a companion and an addition to the family. I went in knowing that she had no papers/pedigree... shes my first dog and I wasn't trying to be all "SeriousO" with the whole thing. She was from a first time litter and simply decided to pick her up. I live in the Bay Area, CA and trust me there are loads of people out here exploiting these dogs and trying to make the "pretty penny" off their pups. I wasn't about that. It was a litter i stumbled acrossed and decided to take her home. Terribly sorry if i made some of you feel as if i went in "head first" into a drained swimming pool. To the rest, thanks for the advice

Cheers.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
silvabjeffreyLOLA said:
JUST FOR CLARIFICATION: These were NOT BREEDERS... they don't BREED. This young couple own two American Bulldogs and they HAD A LITTER. It was not for gain. I understand that people dish and fork out loads of money for American Bulldogs because they're just darn beautiful and they have the working spirit - I didn't buy my dog for these reasons. I'm not going to work her....

She's a companion and an addition to the family. I went in knowing that she had no papers/pedigree... shes my first dog and I wasn't trying to be all "SeriousO" with the whole thing. She was from a first time litter and simply decided to pick her up. I live in the Bay Area, CA and trust me there are loads of people out here exploiting these dogs and trying to make the "pretty penny" off their pups. I wasn't about that. It was a litter i stumbled acrossed and decided to take her home. Terribly sorry if i made some of you feel as if i went in "head first" into a drained swimming pool. To the rest, thanks for the advice

Cheers.
If these people you got your puppy from don't breed then how did they end up with a litter?

I am confused. :-k

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Lisa said:
silvabjeffreyLOLA said:
JUST FOR CLARIFICATION: These were NOT BREEDERS... they don't BREED. This young couple own two American Bulldogs and they HAD A LITTER. It was not for gain. I understand that people dish and fork out loads of money for American Bulldogs because they're just darn beautiful and they have the working spirit - I didn't buy my dog for these reasons. I'm not going to work her....

Cheers.
If these people you got your puppy from don't breed then how did they end up with a litter?

I am confused. :-k
Quit pulling the post apart, this isn't about the how & who, but submissive urinaters.

Back to topic.

I have a submissive urinater. She only does it when she is really excited or meeting ppl for the first time. I'm doing as every1 says and ignoring her. They will grow out of it. and remember if you decide to train this dog, you will need to make everything positive.

You may wish to get her check over by the vet to make sure she.he doesn't have an infection.

·
Registered
123 Posts
congrats

first of all - congrats on your new pup... the past is the past -- time to look into future....

i had a client that had a full grown beagle that did the submissive urination thing all the time.... needless to say - i prepared myself every time i went in to visit with some treats.... believe it or not - it cut down on the frequency of the peeing (she did it every three minutes i was there!!) to only when i arrived...

good luck!

Anne-Marie

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Most dogs do outgrow it in time... I would just ignore it. My puppy will piddle if I make a big fuss over seeing her, because she's so excited. If I just act casual and get her outside to pee first thing, she does fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sigh*- thanks for the kind reassurance/compliments =). She pees only about half the time when we're out on a walk and i'm trying to socialize her to the walker-byers. Sometimes the farthest it'll go is vigorous-tail-whipping, but we'll have the occassional peeing if too excited... I'll be sure to ignore it and continue with the socializing process as she meets new people almost everyday.

Thanks again Trina, Roxy, Cookies, Anna-Marie

Jeff

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
silvabjeffreyLOLA said:
sigh*- thanks for the kind reassurance/compliments =). She pees only about half the time when we're out on a walk and i'm trying to socialize her to the walker-byers. Sometimes the farthest it'll go is vigorous-tail-whipping, but we'll have the occassional peeing if too excited... I'll be sure to ignore it and continue with the socializing process as she meets new people almost everyday.

Thanks again Trina, Roxy, Cookies, Anna-Marie

Jeff
Your welcome :)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
One of my pups would pee if you looked at him wrong a few months back, now he doesn't. I ignored it and it stopped! Now, even when startled he doesn't pee. It just went away!

34 Posts
bummer on the amused pup and behavioral problems. My puppy was bought from a BYB too.. i have been learning the hard way... he's a good puppy.. but blind and has urninal tract infection... but not just a simple one... its real bad... lots of blood.

Just love that puppy up.... thats all i can say.....

and get a part time job hehe :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts