Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched about a month ago (I think) from Nutro Natural to Canidae. Wow! What a difference it has made! Not only is a 40 lbs bag lasting me 3 weeks instead of barely 2, Chopper's coat looks amazing! Less hair loss, less itching and red spots. Less clean up in the yard, too. :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Glad to hear it, Canidae is a great food! I used to feed Nutro Natural for years, but about 3 years ago, they were bought out by a larger corporation, and thier quality greatly suffered..Iout of 4 bags of the same food, the kibbles were all different sizes and colors, my dogs got the runs and were vomiting. I switched to Diamond Lamb and Rice and Beef and Rice and have never gone back to Nutro.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, mine were doing great on Nutro for a while then Chopper got the runs. We stopped giving him anything (treats, scraps, etc) and he still was not solid. Switched to Nutro Cicken and Oatmeal from Lamb and Rice...made a little improvement. Switched to Canidae....excellent! Hopefully this will be our last switch. :D

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Kasco,

We feed Bub Canidae as well and I have to agree on all of your points. It is an amazing food with excellent results. We are going through about 40lbs a month feeding him 24 oz. a day. Are you staying with the Yellow label or the Platinum?

We tried the Platinum once because of the fish content but I didn't see any difference in the two. He seems to really like it and rarely leaves any in his bowl.

And YES, the backyard is alot less work than when he was on IAMS.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Family of 5 said:
Kasco,

We feed Bub Canidae as well and I have to agree on all of your points. It is an amazing food with excellent results. We are going through about 40lbs a month feeding him 24 oz. a day. Are you staying with the Yellow label or the Platinum?

We tried the Platinum once because of the fish content but I didn't see any difference in the two. He seems to really like it and rarely leaves any in his bowl.

We've had great results with the Yellow Label, all life stages. I was really suprised at the price as well, it didn't cost much more than the Nutro for a 40 lb bag!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I switched Mags from Science Diet lamb and rice (I know CRINGE) - to DVP Duck and Potatoe and there is such a HUGE HUGE difference. Her coat is so much healthier and shinier and her poops are smaller and don't smell as much - WOHOOO!!!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Silver said:
I just don't understand why every vet I have ever been to sells Science Diet and says it is wonderful food. ??? Think they get a cut or what?
From what I have heard, if they sell it in their clinic, yes they get some money

Also, I have heard and could find out 100% if you wanted, that vet's do not need to take nutriton classes in order to recieve their license. Meaning they know just as much as you and me about food from what they hear directly from the companies and what they read and see on TV. Before I joined this forum I thought IAMS was a great food because of the commercials! Jokes on me! Too bad not that many people have resources as great as this forum and as great as some of the people this forum as brought to us

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kate said:
Silver said:
I just don't understand why every vet I have ever been to sells Science Diet and says it is wonderful food. ??? Think they get a cut or what?
Before I joined this forum I thought IAMS was a great food because of the commercials! Jokes on me! Too bad not that many people have resources as great as this forum and as great as some of the people this forum as brought to us
I second that. I, too figured if it's expensive and it's only sold in pet stores it must be good for them. Wrong! Glad I was able to learn from people here. :D

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
India's Mom said:
everyone seems to be very much against nutro? i had it recommended to me and just started with it. is it not as good as i hoped?
It's not as bad as grocery store brand dog food (think Pedigree, Purina, IAMS, etc.), but there are way more grains in Nutro than any dog needs (3 sources of rice in the first 5 ingredients of Lamb Meal and Rice and only one source of protein, for example.) The Nutro Ultra is a little better. Unless you're feeding a very specific allergy formula with limited ingredients, I'd recommend a kibble that contains at least 2 sources of protein in the first 5 ingredients and less than 3 grain sources. These foods fit that bill: Merrick, Innova, Timberwolf, Canidae, Natural Balance.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Silver said:
Vets do take a course on nutrition when they are in school. However, it is only a few days worth of schooling and the instructors are often reps of Hills Science Diet, and yes they get kick backs!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I just won't feed my dogs Nutro. LOL. I heard it wasn't good at all.

I hear great things about canidae, timberwolf, and some others.

Have to get my research done before my next pit finds me. LOL.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Canidae was what we had Zeus on for a 40 lb bag and just recently switched to DVP Ultra Prem. The Boxer we just got was being fed Nutro, so I have been slowly switching her to the DVP and she is now picking out and eating the DVP out of her bowl and leaving the Nutro. That cannot be a good sign. Although we do feed our cats Nutro dog food -- j/k they get the Nutro cat food.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Kasco said:
Family of 5 said:
Kasco,

We've had great results with the Yellow Label, all life stages. I was really suprised at the price as well, it didn't cost much more than the Nutro for a 40 lb bag!

Mine are on Canidae too...and I noticed almost immediate results...I just switched mine 2 bags ago to the yellow lable. It said esp for skin allergies and thats Scarlet....shes allergic to practically everything I think outside. We also go through 40lb in about 3 weeks. I also just started feeding RAW dinners and kibble breakfast and that has helped a great deal too! I love Canidea...been using onn Scarlet since about 6 months and Clutch is whole life...I think thats why hes such a piggy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.