Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading a previous post about discourging dogs from behaving badly, but how does this work with puppys?
For example i mean when a puppy is teething and doing their puppy thing, i understand you can do the voice commands i.e OUCH and pulling away/ignoring, but what about spraying in the face with water?! Is that used as a last resort or in conjunction with the voice commands?
Or do you simply let the puppy grow out of that stage and mature, and then use reinforced training?

I dont have a puppy and have never raised one, and seeing as there are so many different opinions/methods on here i am interested in learning for future reference.

P.s sorry mods if this has been asked like 5threads below, if there is a seperate thread feel free to point me in the direction and delete this :oops:

·
Registered
720 Posts
IMO if you plan on doing any protection work with your dog I would never spray it in the face with water...work with voice commands but show him what that command means for example if he is chewing on something pry his jaws apart while saying firmly (OUT) or (AUS) if you plan on training in german! But for the most part let him be a puppy, puppies want to play so keep him interested in playing with something it will keep him out of trouble :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ambull040769 said:
IMO if you plan on doing any protection work with your dog I would never spray it in the face with water...work with voice commands but show him what that command means for example if he is chewing on something pry his jaws apart while saying firmly (OUT) or (AUS) if you plan on training in german! But for the most part let him be a puppy, puppies want to play so keep him interested in playing with something it will keep him out of trouble :D
Good point, i didnt think about that. Obviously that would be a very negative point for a protection working dog if it shy'd away from water/having something pointed at its face etc

·
Registered
722 Posts
We are trying to teach our puppy that NO means to stop whatever it is your doing, whether it's biting, peeing, jumping, etc. instead of teaching him NO BITE or NO JUMP. Our trainer said that it's much easier for the dog to learn that NO means to stop EVERYTHING, instead of having to add words to the end of it. To do this, we are using bitter apple and a thump on the nose. He's pretty good at letting stuff go on the first NO, but if we have to repeat it, it's usually followed by a little thump to get his attention. If he's chewing on clothing or furniture then we spray it will bitter apple so he'll leave it along. We are also teaching him OUT the same way ambull040769 explained, and we use that if we're playing with him or if he's got ahold of something (like my pants!) that he shouldn't have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.