Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zues is scheduled to get "fixed" tomorrow. He is 3 1/2 months, which I feel is kind of early, but the vet claims it is better to do early. I have read online to do it at 6 mo. When did everyone else have it done?

Also, any arguements for not doing it at all? A small part of me wants doesn't want to do it at all (no reason in particular).

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Thor said:
Zues is scheduled to get "fixed" tomorrow. He is 3 1/2 months, which I feel is kind of early, but the vet claims it is better to do early. I have read online to do it at 6 mo. When did everyone else have it done?

Also, any arguements for not doing it at all? A small part of me wants doesn't want to do it at all (no reason in particular).
Our contract said we had to have him fixed by 6 months. We did it at 5 months and he never missed a beat. 1 day down and the next he was his regular self. Unless you are going to breed or show you should really have it done, IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I fixed savanah(my female) at 4.5 mos and brodey (my male) at 9mos. The only reason i waited to do Brodey was b/c I have heard if you snip too early they may not fill in to their full potential (body size). This probably isnt true, and Im guessing its just a wifes tail...b/c Savanah is MUCH bigger than brodey. I have also heard that it is a good idea to wait until males begin lifting their legs when they urinate before fixing..again not sure how true this is.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I myself am waiting to have Buster fixed till he is around 8 months.No reason just that the kids will be back in school and there wont be so much chaos :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Since Carter was a rescue pup he had to be nuetered before we brought him home. He was only 7wks old. I think that this is a little young but I am no vet. I haven't seen any abnormal side effects. Only that he is real submissive and mellow. Two traits that are just fine with me. I am enjoying this type of behavior now because alot of people said that when he gets to be around 8/9m things will change. Good luck to you and enjoy that baby.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I cancelled the appointment, and am going to wait another month (at least). I just feel it is too early (just a gut-feeling).

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Justice is 4 months old, and was 3 and a half when she was spayed. One day down, and she was back to romping is what her foster mom said.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Roxy said:
In the UK the vet won't operate until 2 weeks after their first season.
Doesn't the chance of mammary cancer increase drastically after just one heat cycle? Everything I've heard/read said it's best to spay a b*tch before her first season. Bella was spayed at 18 weeks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
we got cream fixed at 6 months, and buddha at 5. Not a moment too soon for buddha either, he had taken a liking to our leather ottoman and would not leave the thing alone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Loki has had no issues getting fixed @ 4 months. Three and a half months should be okay, though my vet stated he prefers not to do it too early (potential complications with anesthesia, if I recall correctly). He also dispelled the notion that getting an early spay/neuter retards growth.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Roxy said:
In the UK the vet won't operate until 2 weeks after their first season.
Doesn't the chance of mammary cancer increase drastically after just one heat cycle? Everything I've heard/read said it's best to spay a b*tch before her first season. Bella was spayed at 18 weeks.
No vet in the UK will do it....I ask all the time and I cannot remeber why they make you wait. The two week wait is to allow the swelling to go down after the season and for a better healing. I'll have to ask why again, but i think it is to allow them to develope first.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
in the uk

hi i had to wait untill bryn was 6 months old im glad i had him done he wouldnt leave my washing alone on the line :p he was 6 months old :wink: shirley and bryn xx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Antisocial, I have never heard that one has to wait for a dog to start cocking its leg before desexing; if anything you would want to nip this "problem" in the bud and desex BEFORE he starts marking territory which can be an annoying habit.

I would never contemplate desexing a male before the age of 6-7 months, to do this any sooner can have complications which don't show until much later on; a female shouldn't be done till 5 months otherwise there is a real risk that she may become incontinent.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Kelly said:
I myself am waiting to have Buster fixed till he is around 8 months.No reason just that the kids will be back in school and there wont be so much chaos :D
If you can have it done at a younger age, they tolerate the procedure much better. When they reach sexual maturity they often begin marking their territory.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
wizworx said:
Titus was 5 months and Zeke was about 1 year ... our vet suggested 5 months and up but not any younger...
The trend now is pediatric neuter/spay can be done at 2lbs./8 weeks.
3.5 mos. should be fine as long as his testicles have descended.
The "small part" of you is your own masculinity, in all reality, and for that all I have to say is real men have their own balls, neuter your dog ;)

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I can tell you one thing, if I ever own another female pup in my life, I'll never allow her to have a pediatric spay again. Too many complications. Heaven's was done at 6 mos, and she bounced back overnight. No problems at all. My little one (2 mos old) is having such a rough time with an infected incision.

As for males, the only "drawback" I can find is aesthetic... found on this page:
http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/reprod/petpop/early.html
Animals neutered prior to puberty show sexual infantilism, with poorly developed reproductive tracts. For example, the penis of such dogs is much smaller than that of sexually-intact animals and the vulva is quite small.
So your dog may have a smaller wee-wee and all the other dogs may laugh at him in the locker room. :lol: My male was done at 4 mos, and he does still look like a puppy, but thankfully he never humps anything and never shows his "stuff." LMAO... ok, TMI. Time for me to go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts