Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maia is half English Staffie, half Staffie cross, 5 months old next week, and I was wondering when to expect her first heat (I've heard it varies from breed to breed?)

Also, when is the best time to have her spayed? Is it really a good thing to do? I don't want her to have puppies, but I've met people who've said that it's adversely affected their b-witch's personality, so I'm a bit nervous (and I don't want her to develop a weight problem- nothing worse than a fat Staffie!)
What would be my chances of leaving her un-neutered and managing to get through her whole life without any unwanted litters?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
You can probably expect her to come into heat around 6-9 months of age. It wouldnt be totally unheard of for her to come into her heat sometime soon, though.

As far as a female getting fat after being spayed, look at my girl, who was spayed at 4 months of age. She's lean and muscular with a great tuck to her tummy:

Spaying definitely didn't calm her down one bit! :lol: Personality changes that your friends described could just be because the bitches were maturing and were settling into their set temperaments.

Regarding unwanted litters: If you were extremely diligent in keeping her away from other dogs while she's in heat, you can probably keep her from getting pregnant. But spaying completely eliminates the chances for her developing pyometra (a nasty, potentially fatal uterine infection) and reduces her chance for mammary cancer.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Just about any female who has repeated heats without being bred will come down with pyometra which can kill a girl very quickly. This possibility is eliminated with a spay procedure.
With each heat cycle, the uterine lining engorges in preparation for pregnancy. Eventually, some tissue engorgement becomes excessive or persistent (a condition called “cystic endometrial hyperplasia”). This lush glandular tissue is ripe for infectionf (recall that while thei inside of the uterus is sterile, the vagina below is normally loaded with bacteria.). Bacteria ascend from the vagina and the uterus becomes infected and ultimately pus filled.
Your best bet and the safest thing for your girl is to have her spayed. Spaying/neutering doesn't make a dog fat - lack of exercise and overfeeding make a dog fat.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've always been told that it's best to let a bwitch come into heat once before getting her spayed- is that true?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Maia's Dad said:
I've always been told that it's best to let a bwitch come into heat once before getting her spayed- is that true?
No. Not only do you have to deal with the mess plus take the risk of a neighbor's dog getting to her, but allowing that first heat greatly increases her chance of mammary cancer.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Miakoda said:
Maia's Dad said:
No. Not only do you have to deal with the mess plus take the risk of a neighbor's dog getting to her, but allowing that first heat greatly increases her chance of mammary cancer.
I really can't thank you enough for the advice! I'll look into getting her done ASAP! Do you know approx how long it takes them to recover from the operation?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Maia's Dad said:
Miakoda said:
Maia's Dad said:
I really can't thank you enough for the advice! I'll look into getting her done ASAP! Do you know approx how long it takes them to recover from the operation?
For the girls it's more invasive so the recovery takes a bit longer. But all of mine were back to their old selves by day 2!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the advice! I was just wondering, because we're due to go on holiday in 2 weeks time, and I've been dreading what would happen if she were to come into heat while we were in a caravan in the middle of nowhere :shock: , so I was thinking of having her done before we go, but I also didn't want her debilitated during a holiday that'll be a lot of fun for her.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi!

Hey Maia's Dad! I don't know if you have had her spayed yet but usually females come into heat around 6mos to a year. It is usually pretty dependent on when the mother came into heat. My pit is over 7mos right now and so far "heat free."

Before getting your dog spayed it is best to assess the relationship with her. Do you view her as your child? Soul mate? pet?

If you view her as your pet/inferior, getting her spayed would be an easy way to prevent pregnancy.

If you view your dog as your soul mate or child, I would strongly advise against getting her spayed unless it is for a medical reason. You wouldn't like to be neutered would you? It is a "do unto others" principal.

But again, you need to assess the relationship. Do you view her as your "inferior", equal, or superior?

You also have to consider what possible consequences could be. Would you be able to take care of pups if she had them?

It is fairly easy to tell when a female is in heat and the best birth control is relatively inexpensive. (leashes can be as cheap as a dollar, fences perhaps a bit more expensive)

Another option for you to consider is tubal litigation. This is reversible unlike spaying. Spaying is NOT reversible.

I would not be in a rush to get her spayed. You should deeply consider this for at least a week and weigh all of the pros and cons.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Re: Hi!

Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
jaziraseyes said:
If you view your dog as your soul mate or child, I would strongly advise against getting her spayed unless it is for a medical reason. You wouldn't like to be neutered would you? It is a "do unto others" principal.
:shock:
WTH!!!!!! :shock:

·
Registered
172 Posts

Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
WHAT??? My dogs are like kids to me, but I know they are not human/not kids. I wouldn't eat dog food either, but my dogs do, I wouldn't want to be walked on a leash but I use one for my dogs safety, I sure wouldn't want to be put in a crate but it keeps my dog out of trouble and easier to handle at shows/vets and they seem to like to sleep in them on their own-then again they are DOGS and not HUMANS. There are many things that my dogs do or are made to do that I probably wouldn't enjoy, but I don't think it hurts them one bit most of for their own good and safety, its called being responsible. Dogs that are not altered and not bred will usually develop health problems. And yes some people are "neutered" have you ever heard of a vesectimy (sp?).

Dogs are actually "inferior" to people, at least in my opinion. I love my dogs more then I care for most people but I also know they are incapable of the same intellect of (most) humans and NEED people and are DEPENDENT on us to provide for their daily needs, safety and health. No dog is my equal, dogs who are treated as equals are usually the dogs with the dominance aggression problems who have never been taught they are on the low end of the pack. When it comes to a human pack you should always be above your dog (the alpha), this is for its own safety that it is obediant to you and possible the safety of yourself, family, neighbors and others pets.

The statement almost sounds like one PETA would make.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

True_Pits said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
WHAT??? My dogs are like kids to me, but I know they are not human/not kids. I wouldn't eat dog food either, but my dogs do, I wouldn't want to be walked on a leash but I use one for my dogs safety, I sure wouldn't want to be put in a crate but it keeps my dog out of trouble and easier to handle at shows/vets and they seem to like to sleep in them on their own-then again they are DOGS and not HUMANS. There are many things that my dogs do or are made to do that I probably wouldn't enjoy, but I don't think it hurts them one bit most of for their own good and safety, its called being responsible. Dogs that are not altered and not bred will usually develop health problems. And yes some people are "neutered" have you ever heard of a vesectimy (sp?).

That almost sounds like a statement PETA would make.
LMAO!! Just wanted to point out that a vasectomy is not the same as neutering. :lol:

·
Registered
172 Posts

maryserratos said:
True_Pits said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:

LMAO!! Just wanted to point out that a vasectomy is not the same as neutering. :lol:
Yes I realize it is not the same procedure, but it is the same outcome being sterile. I'm not sure what the whole problem is with neutering?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

True_Pits said:
maryserratos said:
True_Pits said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:

Yes I realize it is not the same procedure, but it is the same outcome being sterile. I'm not sure what the whole problem is with neutering?
Haha, I know I was just teasing. :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts

Dogs that are not altered and not bred will usually develop health problems. And yes some people are "neutered" have you ever heard of a vesectimy (sp?).

Many unaltered dogs will not develop health problems due to their lack of neutering/spaying. On another point, if you cut your child's breasts off I don't think there is a chance for breast cancer but then again, is it ethical?

Dogs are actually "inferior" to people, at least in my opinion.
Yes, and by your opinion you choose to treat your dogs accordingly. Perhaps this is Maia's dad opinion also or maybe it is not. This is important in assessing whether or not you would want to neuter the dog.

Is that relevant to anything?

Vasectomies, like tubal litigations ("tubes tied") are reversible.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

jaziraseyes said:
Dogs that are not altered and not bred will usually develop health problems. And yes some people are "neutered" have you ever heard of a vesectimy (sp?).

Many unaltered dogs will not develop health problems due to their lack of neutering/spaying. On another point, if you cut your child's breasts off I don't think there is a chance for breast cancer but then again, is it ethical?

Dogs are actually "inferior" to people, at least in my opinion.
Yes, and by your opinion you choose to treat your dogs accordingly. Perhaps this is Maia's dad opinion also or maybe it is not. This is important in assessing whether or not you would want to neuter the dog.

Is that relevant to anything?

Vasectomies, like tubal litigations ("tubes tied") are reversible.
Your kidding me right?!?! :shock:

Actually, yes they have a greater chance of having health problems. And no, you would not "cut your childs breasts off" to avoid breast cancer. THEY ARE HUMAN! It is not your decision to make!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually, yes they have a greater chance of having health problems. And no, you would not "cut your childs breasts off" to avoid breast cancer. THEY ARE HUMAN! It is not your decision to make!

We make decisions for dependents every day. (including alterations, medication, etc) Actually... we do mutilate male children's genitalia... (but somewhat off topic I am sure)

It would be cruel to mutilate your childs breasts in such a way... so why is it not deemed cruel to do this to your animal unless for a necessary medical reason? You would not neuter a disabled person... hopefully.

Again, this is where your views and personal opinions come into play. If you see animals as equal or inferior you could have a totally different approach to this issue. The important thing is that owners don't automatically think, "I have to alter my pet or I am a bad person." It is always nice to make informed decisions.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
This is a joke, right.
We are talking about our animals here, not kids.
If you DO NOT alter your pet THERE IS HEALTH RISKS..................HELLO :shock: :evil:
This is not about how we see our pets (equal or not)
Some of us have common sense and know what is best for them :roll:

·
Registered
26 Posts
We are talking about our animals here, not kids.
If you DO NOT alter your pet THERE IS HEALTH RISKS..................HELLO

Hi, and yes there are health risks. There are also health risks if you neuter your animal. Some animals do not react well to anesthesia. If the dog is prone to mammary/testicle/etc problems then it may be in their interest to have them altered. If the animal is not predisposed then perhaps an unnecessary surgery would not be such a good idea. To others the health risk is irrelevant and it is a moral issue.

This is not about how we see our pets (equal or not)
Some people view animals equally(in a moral sense) as humans. Therefore, how you treat a human would be equal to how you treat a child. So really, this is about how we see our fellow species.

Some of us have common sense and know what is best for them

I think it is best to provide information to this person who has requested it and not say "what I do is better." Or "your way of thinking is wrong." Perhaps we may disagree but let our goal be to inform people to make smart and ethical decisions.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts