Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moose is a GREAT pup and he walks on the leash well. We have a pinch collar for him so he doesn't pull to much. Now my problem is when I walk him and another dog starts barking at him he fixates on that dog a get very aggressive thru the fence with the other dog. Now this is what I do.
1. I walk him by the fence on the sidewalk and firmly tell him be nice.(he knows this means to be good)
2. If he starts to fight thru the fence I yank him with the command NO and make him sit.
3. I make him sit next to the fence until he relax and then proceed to walk. If he starts up again I do everything all over again.
Now I try to get his attention off the other dog but it takes a while. Is there somethingI am doing wrong or something else I can do?
I won't leave the area until he totally listens to me.
Please any advise I would like to hear (Lisa, Carrie or anyone)

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
I am sure Lisa and Carrie will know way more than I do, but I do have two thoughts. The first is Moose's age, he is around that 7 - 8 month stage isn't he? And the other is, if I am correct, Moose still has to be neutered. If these two are correct, I think they play the major role in his behavior. You know teenagers and their hormones. :lol:

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gazar you are funny but right. Moose is not neutered and he is a teenager at 9 months. I am concern because he was doing really well with his behavior and then as time goes by he is getting worse. He will be fixed really soon but he should still behave on the leash and with commands.IMO

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
he should still behave on the leash and with commands.IMO

You are right, but that is why I said teenagers and their hormones. Teenagers know what is the right thing to do but they let their impulses get in the way and over power their ability to think straight. Moose is not mature enough yet to overcome the impulse to go after an unknown dog, especially if that other dog is male, also. He is zoning in on that other dog and nothing else is coming through to him. Just keep him on a strong collar and lead and pray.
:wink:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ahh yes...male AB's in thier teenage years.... I swear you can have the most obediant, sweet, male pup who's done so well with his training...then the hormones kick in and...BAM...NO BRAIN!! They start to challenge your authority and act as if they have never been taught a thing in thier life..frustrating, I know! I always go right back to square one with obedience work. It sounds like you have the right idea as far as having him sit by the fence with the other dog behind it....make him do some obedience moves and keep him focused on you as much as you can..if you are keeping him busy, he should be focusing on you more and thinking of the other dog less. Give lots of happy praise when he does his OB and ignores the distraction. Your dog should realize that what you have (praise,treats, etc.) is much more important than the other dog. Make sure too though, that you aren't anticipating the other dog, because your dog will pick up on your anxiety and the problem will keep happening. Hopefully I have made some sense..if not, just say so, and I will clarify!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Carrie I am happy that you responded to this post and that you said I am on the right track. This has been going on forf a short while and some days he is easier than other but I will keep it up. As for treats well I didn't think of that and I will try but I do praise him when he does good. I will let you all know of his progress. Thank you again.
debs

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Carrie said:
Ahh yes...male AB's in thier teenage years.... I swear you can have the most obediant, sweet, male pup who's done so well with his training...then the hormones kick in and...BAM...NO BRAIN!! They start to challenge your authority and act as if they have never been taught a thing in thier life..frustrating, I know! I always go right back to square one with obedience work. It sounds like you have the right idea as far as having him sit by the fence with the other dog behind it....make him do some obedience moves and keep him focused on you as much as you can..if you are keeping him busy, he should be focusing on you more and thinking of the other dog less. Give lots of happy praise when he does his OB and ignores the distraction. Your dog should realize that what you have (praise,treats, etc.) is much more important than the other dog. Make sure too though, that you aren't anticipating the other dog, because your dog will pick up on your anxiety and the problem will keep happening. Hopefully I have made some sense..if not, just say so, and I will clarify!
Carrie - this answer should be added to a sticky thread. Would you mind if I copied it to HausMommy to do that? Pat

Good luck Debs and Moose :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts