Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scarlet loves car rides but we have had to cut them out. Clutch gets extreemly car sick...after 15 minutes hes hurling everywhere...

Is this going to be a life long thing...is there something you can give them if they have to go on a car ride. I feel so bad for him...I watch him and 5 minutes in he starts with the drooling then the wobble head the blak...all over me back seat.

I know Scarlet misses them greatly...but I dont want to take one and leave the other in the cage...any advice?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Sometimes dogs will grow out of it, but this is if they are puppies when they first experience it.

In the meantime, here are a couple of things you can do to help him out. The first is to not allow him anything to eat or drink for 4 hrs beforehand. Also, it is safe to give Dramamine about 45 min. beforehand as well t ohelp him out (let me get the proper dosage info for you). Some people also have luck just using benadryl 45 min. beforehand (1-2mg per lb of body weight) as it does contain a mild sedative. Oh yeah, & put a cover on the back seat. :p

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea it started when he was a pup...the first day we brought him home he must have puked 3 times on the way...hes 7 months now but it isnt mush better then before...should I warm him up to it...some people have told me the more they are in the car the more they get used to it...I dont know about that cause like I said it hits him quick..

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I was told 1/2 tablet of gravol. When i went to Ontario for the first time (13) hr drive i thought my dogs woul dget car sick but they didnt. I have never had a dog get car sick, i have dogs who get overly excited in the car and jump at the windows and KNOW they r going to training. But never sick,relive themsleves,anything liek that in the car. Some people do believe that its genetic and caused by stress. If this is true and your dog is getting sick b/c of stress then i would build it up. If car rides are that impt to you. Go around your block,then to the corner store, show him its fun and theres nothing to worry about.Most of it is stress related.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I'm so glad Haus never had this! That dog was in the car with us every weekend for at least an hour at a time! He still drools now, but never throws up in the car.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Glad that question was asked because Moose has been getting car sick since he was 5 weeks. When he csme over to my house at 5 weeks he was the only one (he came with 2 siblings) that sat very quitely. The others were looking around and jumping out of the basket. He still to this day gets sick. I asked the vet and he said taqke small drives but any longer he baptized my car. The way I know he is getting sick is he will stop panting and then get this green sick I'm going to explode look on his face and BAM! he did it. He loves rides and never had a bad experience so I have no idea. If you find out a treatment to help him please pm me so I can try.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
HausMommy said:
I'm so glad Haus never had this! That dog was in the car with us every weekend for at least an hour at a time! He still drools now, but never throws up in the car.
I am so happy too, poor Dozer, when we first got him, he flew on a plane for 2 hrs. The next day we were going on a ball tournement which was 4 hrs away. He is a traveling dog, he always comes on road trips with me. When I went to pick up my horse it was a 12 hr day, just me and him, he keeps me company.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Bremner53 said:
HausMommy said:
I am so happy too, poor Dozer, when we first got him, he flew on a plane for 2 hrs. The next day we were going on a ball tournement which was 4 hrs away. He is a traveling dog, he always comes on road trips with me. When I went to pick up my horse it was a 12 hr day, just me and him, he keeps me company.
Same with Haus. If I'm travelling and he can come inside whereever I'm going, he goes too. Usually, after about 30 mins in the car, he'll lay down and go to sleep. :)

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks fo the links...I guess I will try warming him up to it...I know he is not scared of the car...when we do ride he is ahppy and jumps right in...I really dont feel comfortable giving him dramamine(sp?) because I know it makes me feel like crap and sleep all day...We will go for short rides to start and slowley get there...maybe he will just be a motion sick dog forever...I hope not!

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I would suggest giving him something to chew on while he's in the car. Just something to distract him from looking out the window. Haus doesn't start to drool, until he looks out the window. Then he lays down, and is fine.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats a good idea too...He usually id laying down the whole time anyway but it may serve as a distraction to him...keep his mind off the movement...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts