Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done all the research and I "think" I know what I'm doing, but I need some friendly advice. This is the first time I will have had puppies so I don't have any experience. Our EB is set to deliver about 3 days after Thanksgiving. She will have a c-section. She is getting round so I think the insemination took. WHAT do I need to have here at the house for mom and puppies? I went to petsmart and NONE of the employees knew what I would need. The vets office kept putting me on hold EACH time I called. So what do I need? Do I need a swimming pool to keep the puppies in? (when they are bigger) I assume when they are born, I would put them in a basket with a hot water bottle on one side and blankets on the other right? Do I need a heating lamp? They will be inside, in the living room. I happened to pick our EB up from the breeder when his pups were 3 days old and he showed me how to stimulate them, put them on mommy and NEVER leave them with mom. Any advise would be wonderful! We are nervous and excited at the same time!
Mary

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Bulldog puppies are VERY hands on. Bulldog moms aren't the best, and alot of times the breeder is left to care for the pups 100%.

http://www.bulldogsworld.com is an excellent website for Bulldogs, and here http://www.bulldogsworld.com/newpup.html is a good list of supplies needed. Look around the site, there is alot of information about puppy care, and you are certianly going to need as much info as you can get. There are alot of things that can go wrong with these little buggers.

Also, http://www.rocketcitybulldogs.com/ has some good puppy info as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right

Our breeder said she would have to have a c-section. I think most english bulldogs do becuase the puppies heads are to big to fit through the birth cannal.
Mary

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I am guessing this was an accidental pregnancy otherwise I would think you would know what you needed and what needed to be done and you would have done research.Best of luck and I hope mom has a safe delivery.BTW, most if not all EB's have c section but I am sure you all ready know that and have discussed this with your vet :D Again wishing for a safe and sound delivery

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually

Actually this was a planned pregnncy and I have done the research!!!! But this is my first time (EVER!) having a litter so I'm nervous. The breeder has offered to help with the puppies and the mom but he lives 45 minutes away and I feel she would be more comfortable at home. I'm just looking for advise to make me feel more comfident and not so unprepared.
Mary

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It isn't only the size of the pups heads, there are EB' lines that CAN freewhelp, but the breeder isn't willing to risk the life of the bitch because of an unknown water puppy. EB's (and some other short nosed breeds) sometimes have this problem with puppies. It is where the puppy while in utero, for whatever reason, can not regulate the fluid coming into his little body, and he swells up with edemia under the skin and around the organs. Where a normal EB pup can weigh from 7-15 oz normally, water puppies can weigh up to 2 lbs. THAT is a big puppy to try to pass. If a water puppy gets stuck and you can't get the mom to the vet then you are going to loose them all. Even "free whelping" EB's do so under the very close watch of a vet, at the vet clinic.

There are signs of a water puppy, from what I understand, they are not definitive, and easy to misinterperate.

Most likely, it wasn't an accidental pregnancy, EB's need help in that regard too. MOST of EB litters are AI'd. The dogs are just too heavy, with encumbered breathing, and overheat very quickly when free breeding.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Good luck with your pups! I would say you're going to need LOTS of space for them to eventually run around and be cutie pies!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
She stated in her post that she thinks the AI took, and that she is scheduled for a c-section...

Another reason they are not able to pass pups is because a their hips are far too narrow. Just look at them! The have huge freakin chests, big round heads, and tiny hips!

Ok, I'm done...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Whay do I need for my English Bulldog puppies

Hi, I just went through with my EB having pups today. I'll try to give you a few pointers, if you need more feel free to PM me. About 1 week before she is due start taking her temperature twice a day. When temp goes to under 100 start to take it three times a day, if low like 99.4, take it about every 2 hours, that should be about about 4 days before delivery. When temp goes to 99 or lower contact your vet. Will start to deliver when temp goes to 97 so that's why you contact them when in the 98's so the vet can get ready for a c-section. You need to get a baby bulb syringe, the kind with a long end to it. That is needed at home to clear their throats and noses if need be. Some EB's will drink fast and milk will come out their noses, you don't want them to choke so syringe it out. You also want to give your mama a prenatal vitamin, ( I go to Walmart and get them, people vitamins), at least 1 week before delivery start to give Calcium tabs, I use Pet-Cal from the pet store. A lot of people put them in a small swimming pool, I use a large box, because the sides are higher and they feel safer, about 2 weeks before due date, get her use to the box, cut one side down so she can go in and out freely, put blankets in the bottom of it so it's comfy. You will DEFINATELY do not want to let mama with babies alone. I keep mine in a box with a hot water bottle a baby blanket on top of that and then cover with another cover. Keep them out of reach of her, and out of any drafts what so ever. When at the vets office have a little box, I use a styrofoam cooler with heating pad in the bottom, covered with a baby blanket, so as they are revived they can go into the warm box while mama is getting stiched up and she is coming to. After they bring mam out of surgery and she kind of wakes up, put pups on her their at the vets office. When you take her home she will be groggy, put her in her box, lay her down, and put pups on her again until, they drink and fall off, then put them in your hot water bottle box and cover them and put them up. I stimulate mine before I put them on mama and after they eat. You have to do this at least every 2 hours. The next day start to stimulate them before you put them on mama and put their behinds in mama's face, hopefully she will lick them if not, you stimulate them and try again the next time. Sometimes you have to feed babies because mama doesn't have enough milk or runs out, so you will have to bottle feed them also. Usually at first I let them nurse, if they still seem hungry I offer a bottle to them. I use a Playtex nurser with a regular nipple on it. Ask you vet for some puppy milk. If you have a large litter you will have to suppliment their feedings with a bottle. Make sure you watch mama with pups at all times. They have a habit of taking babies in their mouths, and sometimes will bite to hard and kill them. It happened to one of my EB, her first litter she did it and the third litter she did it. They where about 4-6 days old. So always watch her or take them away from her if no one is there to watch her. EB's ar not easy to raise believe me. Also ask your Vet for Nutri-cal, it is a sticky gel that you will give her on the way home and some the first couple of days, it replenishes some the nutrients, etc. she has lost when put to sleep. Offer her water when she gets home and small amount of food to eat. Sometimes they get VERY fussy, so you might want to spoil her. I hope you are feeding her Puppy food, if not do so, and continue until the pups are weaned. Continue the Pet-cal and vitamins also. When pups eyes are open you can slowly put pups with her, in about 2 weeks, by then they are able to see a little and mama is less likely to carry them around. When you are sure she's not going to hurt them or lay on them you can put them with her all the time. I hope this helped you. This might not be the way everyone does it but it has worked for me. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me. My EB just had 5 today, their weight was 4 of them 12 1/2 oz. and 1 was 15 oz. All doing well so far. Put I won't get any sleep tonite, for it's every 2 hours feeding,etc. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
182 Posts
do not use a hot water bottle..you can not keep the heat at the right temp. that way.
Get a heating pad, put it on low..sit half of your plastic container onto it. But a towel into the container..then the pups. Put a towel over the contaner to keep out drafts.
Pups that are too hot are red..shrieking and spread out..pups that are too cold huddle together and whimper and cry. Ajust your heat acordingly.
You need to feed ever 2 hours for the first week...then go to 4 hours.
be sure to get bottles and formula incase she is unable to feed and you need to.
Go to the second hand store and buy a ton of blankets and towels..she will be covering them in blood and need a clean whelping box.
Put down a layer of papers, then a blanket, then towels .
By 10 days the pups will be big enough to move into the whelping box fulltime...take the bitch out unless you are standing right there.
Put the heating pad down at one side of the pool, covered by a towel.
I use a pool as it is easy to disinfect and clean..also there are no straight sides..so she si less likely to squash a pup up against the side.
bull bitches can be terrible mothers,a nd when still doped up can kill pups..so be very careful. Be prepared to have to burp and stimulate them..as not all bitches will.
About 3 weeks before they are born put her onto puppy food..keeep her on it the whole time she is nursing...plus boiled eggs, cottage cheese and a small amount of calves liver. Be careful with the liver..too much will give her runny poop...but it helps rebuild the iron in her blood

·
Registered
361 Posts
What do I need for my English Bulldog puppies

I never have had any luck with a heating pad until they go into the box with mom, fulltime. I use the water bottle and change it every 2 hours. One time I used a new heating pad, set on low, and my puppies got dehydrated on it, so that's why I changed to a water bottle.

·
Registered
361 Posts

Ahhh. See I was told to put heating pad in the box with a cover over it. I have a litter now so I'm going to try what you said. I'll let you know how well it works. Thanx

·
Registered
361 Posts

Tried the heating pad today the right way and they love it. Thanx. They crawl on it then off it, so they are getting exercise also.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks so much!!!

Princess, I will be in touch the closer she gets to her due date. Thanks guys! You have made me feel more confident and better prepared! I didn't realize this would be so nerve wracking! Can I use a landry basket (one that is solid, that you can get from Walmart) with the heating pad under half or do I need a cardboard box?
Mary

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I'd get a big rubbermaid storage bin, it is big enough for the pups for a few weeks, gives them enough room to scootch over to cool off, and enclosed to prevent drafts. I wouldnt get a laundry basked, because of the holes in the sides. You wanna keep them warm. A cardboard box can't be sanitized, and the mom could crush the side down to get in and hurt a pup.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts