Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reading his book right now and a lot of what he says makes sense to me. I like his ideas on the "power of the pack" and how many miscommunications happen when we treat our dogs like people instead of like dogs. It's interesting to me how one can try to think like a dog, and get such great results from acting as a dog would as opposed to how a human would.

At the same time, some of it doesn't quite sit well...for example, I like my dogs to walk a bit in front of me when we go for walks, rather than at a perfect heel or behind me. I don't think this makes them think they are alpha to walk a bit ahead without pulling. Cesar disagrees....

Anyways, I'm only halfway done with the book...just wondering what ya'll think of his philosophies?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I loved his book, was a great read. His philosophy is nothing new, he has just brought to the mainstream. He does have a way with dogs which can not be denied. Many disagree with his alpha rolling/submitting of dogs, but he came through for those dogs when no one else did or when others failed. His pack mentality is pretty good, and his ideas of exercise, discipline, and affection work for us with Sheila. It is funny, when we deviate just a bit, and give affection right when we get home before her walk when she is all wired up, makes a big difference in the walk and the rest of the night. She is only a pup, but it works. But if you read around in books, other sites and on here, his philosophy is mirrored by many. Some people just have certain gifts and I think he is a gifted individual when it comes to understanding dogs, and best of all he is a bully breed advocate (or any power breed for that matter) So for those on here who put him down, just think of the influence he could have should one day he be needed if BSL get out of control. His philosophy in not believing breed specific generaliztions is good too.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I really like Cesar's book and most of his stuff makes sense to me, and I'm no newbie to having dogs.

I agree, his ideas aren't new, lots of trainers have been using these methods before him. He was the first to write a book like this, get a TV show and make lots of $$$ with celeb clients and go on Oprah.

Pros:

1. He's a advocate for power/bully breeds :)

2. His show, book, and ideas may not be effective for EVERY problem owner who's ALREADY f'd up (many are beyond help) but if he helps educate POTENTIAL owners BEFORE they go out and get dogs, then COOL, I have no objections to that

3. He encourages people to get off their butts and WALK with their dogs. Can't knock ANYONE who helps get people and dogs to be more active

4. He talks openly about how his work with dogs has changed him as a person - he acknowledges how he used to be a stereotypical macho Latino, and now he treats his wife with respect, and learned to regard women with more respect in general

5. His philosophies are simple and make sense; there's a lot of stupid people out there that need it spelled out for them, and he's good at making it sound easy to understand and apply (which it is!)

Cons:

1. I think he's a pretty slick Hollywood kinda guy who benefits from good editing - I don't believe every visit with problem owners goes THAT smoothly

2. I sometimes think that promoting a message that 'red zone' dogs can be rehabbed might be dangerous and lead people to believe they can do it themselves

3. Some of his methods are TOTALLY unrealistic for the average, normal, working dog owner (HOURS of walking every day, using treadmills, etc.) and he *does* have some kind of freaky gift that not everyone else has

In all, I don't think what he does is bad. I'd like to think that if dogs could speak, they'd be cool with him too!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OrsonDogge said:
Lizzie, why do you like to walk Jesse a little in front of you?
I find if i let Orson just get even a foot in front of me, he starts to
pull and also i dont have
any control of him if he sees a dog.
It's just easier to keep an eye on them when they're just a bit in front of us. If he is behind me or his head is level with my knee, I have to crane my neck to see him.

Loki is a horrible puller...we have a Gentle Leader for him and this makes walking him possible. Jesse is not bad, he can walk a bit in front without pulling on the leash.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
meh, read his book awhile ago. Love that he stresses exercise, but don't agree that with a certain "energy" you can tame even the most aggressive of dogs. I just don't buy it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with all his 'pack' stuff (though that cetainly isnt 'his' or 'new')

...alot of the rest of it I think is crap. But thats just me.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
We NEVER walk our dogs in front. We walk them, they don't walk us. They have absolutely no problems walking right at our sides. With the size of our guys if we let them have control there would be major problems. I would be skidding down the street hanging on the the end of the leash.
I'm the boss :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts