Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious. Chance needs an outlet for his energies and I have wanted learn to work and train a protection dog for a long time. He's very drivey, very dominant (I'd say he's Alpha even - whether that is good or bad for protection I haven't a clue) and spooks at NOTHING - nerves of steel. I have no idea where to even begin or who to talk to to find out if it's something he may a candidate for. His energy and mind are ceaseless.

Also, he's fixed and not papered - not even 100% sure what his breed is, though I'm fairly confident he's APBT. Can he even compete in things like Shutzhund and French Ring with no papers or, erm...nads? Even if he can't, training him is definitely not pointless - to me anyway. I want the experience and I think it's something he would enjoy.

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I was going to ask a similar question today. Thanks :p Loki sounds very similar to Chance. She can spook though at loud noises sometimes but she will immediately go investigate it and won't stay afraid. She shows no fear with people or other dogs. Although you never know for sure until you put them under real stress, but I think would do well.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
You can compete with any purebred or mix in Schutzhund. If you have no papers they just mark the dog down as a "mix" in the scorebook. It is much better to start off with a puppy but it can be done with an older dog, just ALOT more work! I am pretty sure there are alot of clubs in your area of the world. Why don't you get in touch with Jeff Richman? Maybe he can point you to a training club in your area?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lisa said:
You can compete with any purebred or mix in Schutzhund. If you have no papers they just mark the dog down as a "mix" in the scorebook. It is much better to start off with a puppy but it can be done with an older dog, just ALOT more work! I am pretty sure there are alot of clubs in your area of the world. Why don't you get in touch with Jeff Richman? Maybe he can point you to a training club in your area?
Ooh good idea.

Chance is only 6 months. Too early or is that about right?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I think the ealier the better, but it depends on what type of personal protection trainng you want to do. I train in Schutzhund so in that case it is best to start the foundation very early....especially the obedience part. With Smooch I started teaching her to focus on me the minute I removed from her crate at the airport. You can still do it with an older dog, but it is harder since you didn't put the right foundation on from the beginning. I started Rosco's SCH training at over 2yrs old. It has been alot of blood, sweat, and tears, and he is still not quite ready to go for a title. Chance is still pretty young, so it should not be too difficult, but you will probably have to change the way you do alot of things...again depending on the avenue you take. Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lisa said:
I think the ealier the better, but it depends on what type of personal protection trainng you want to do. I train in Schutzhund so in that case it is best to start the foundation very early....especially the obedience part. With Smooch I started teaching her to focus on me the minute I removed from her crate at the airport. You can still do it with an older dog, but it is harder since you didn't put the right foundation on from the beginning. I started Rosco's SCH training at over 2yrs old. It has been alot of blood, sweat, and tears, and he is still not quite ready to go for a title. Chance is still pretty young, so it should not be too difficult, but you will probably have to change the way you do alot of things...again depending on the avenue you take. Hope that made sense.
Makes perfect sense, yes. I'm thinking SCH for a few reasons...mainly that it would be easier to access a trainer/club. Also, from what I've read, it seems that one could go into other sports with SCH as a foundation, provided the foundation is solid.

I already know of a trainer in Sacramento - about 30 minutes from me - although I'm hoping to find one in my county. They've been working with my sister (a Sherrif's deputy) on trying to get a K-9 program going with her small department. I don't know much about them, other than that they've trained a lot of dogs for the local police & sheriff's departments and continues to do so...I'd guess they're doing something right. They also do Schutzhund and have at least one SCH1 dog listed on their site. It's not their primary focus, so I dunno. My sister has become pretty good friends with them though.

Maybe you know something about them: http://www.alwaysfaithfulgsd.com/about.html

I'm going to write Jeff Richman tomorrow and pick his brain a little bit. In the meantime, while I look, are there any books you'd recommend I start with? Remember I'm a total beginner.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'm planning to put my Aussie mix through protection training, too. He's very focused, and loves to work. Herding dogs love jobs, and I don't have any cattle, and there's no agility training around here, so his "job" will be protection.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
ChrisnJen, I am not familiar with those trainers.

I think talking with Jeff would be a great idea. There are alot of people working AB's out on the West Coast and I would probably consider hooking up with them. It helps very much to work with people experienced with the breed. Keep me posted on everything!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Sorry I forgot to list a couple books for you!

First I would get Schutzhund-Theory and Training Methods by Susan Barwig and Stuart Hilliard

After you read that one, I suggest getting Advanced Schutzhund by Ivan Balabanov and Karen Duet.

Both books are available at Amazon and should help give you a better understanding of Schutzhund!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lisa said:
Sorry I forgot to list a couple books for you!

First I would get Schutzhund-Theory and Training Methods by Susan Barwig and Stuart Hilliard

After you read that one, I suggest getting Advanced Schutzhund by Ivan Balabanov and Karen Duet.

Both books are available at Amazon and should help give you a better understanding of Schutzhund!
Thanks! I'm passing by a Borders today so I'll check and see if they have either of those.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Thanks! I'm passing by a Borders today so I'll check and see if they have either of those.
Cool! Just be sure to read them in that order as the first one is more of a general overview, where the second one is more advanced in its explanations.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Personal protection dog training near Placerville?

Placerville......I think I decoyed there for the psa tournament.
Nice little town. Real nice.

The best I know, personally, for personal protection in your area is Lucillano Oliva. he is about 40 minutes north of Sacaramento.

I sometimes drive 13 hours one way to train with his club.

e-mail me if you need his number.

The guy knows bulldogs!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts