Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I've never used Kong Stuffin'. I usually just put canned dog food (the kind that looks like stew, usually Merrick brand) in my dogs' Kongs and then freeze it. I've also tried baby food, but that's an outside treat only, because it gets really messy when it thaws! Plain yogurt and pureed fruit/veggies is a good stuffing, too. I bet stuffing a Kong with baby carrots would keep a dog busy for a few minutes!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I use peanut butter too. I use to have a link to a site that had tons of recipes for kong stuffings. I can't find it though. You might do a search on it. I never got around to trying any of them plus Faith loved the peanut butter.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've stopped putting peanut butter in Patch's kong because I read on this site that peanut butter is really bad for dogs!!!!!????

Is it true?

Well, Patch just loves VEGEMITE (not sure if you can get this in the US?) and laps it up like it's going out of fashion!
So i fill his kong with that once or twice a week.

I also stuff it with beafy treats... and sometimes canned dog food, but i find that that is too easy to come out and he's only busy for about 6 seconds!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Patch said:
II also stuff it with beafy treats... and sometimes canned dog food, but i find that that is too easy to come out and he's only busy for about 6 seconds!
Do you freeze the Kong after you put the canned food in it? They last about 30 minutes with my dogs that way.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have thought about freezing the food... but because it's winter... i'm afraid it might be too cold for him?

Am i just being over-protective?

Also, I've discovered that Patch LOVES those dried livers!!!!

Are they good for him? I've heard that they are... but i really value your opinion.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I use peanut butter - Buster loves that. Didn't someone on here say that the Kong Stuff'n made their dog sick?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Patch said:
I have thought about freezing the food... but because it's winter... i'm afraid it might be too cold for him?

Am i just being over-protective?

Also, I've discovered that Patch LOVES those dried livers!!!!

Are they good for him? I've heard that they are... but i really value your opinion.
Do you only give him Kongs when he's outside?

Dried liver treats are good. My dogs go nuts for dried lung treats, too.

·
Registered
932 Posts
no. I pretty much give him the kongs when he's indoors... when he's outside, that's when i give him raw meaty bones.... yuk, i don't want them all over my floors! ;)

I think i'm just too overprotective of him.... sometimes i confuse him with a baby...
:)

e.g. i caught him eating a bug the other day and TOTALLY freaked out and got it off him and was mortified that he eats bugs! but God only knows what he eats when he's outside and we're at work.....
and i also freak out when he eats grass....

'i must remember he is a DOG!'

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
LOL! Yeah, dogs do gross things. Bella and Remy were "playing" with a baby bird last week. And by "playing" I mean "trying to eat."

Giving Patch a frozen Kong when he's inside is totally fine. If he doesn't like the coldness of it, he'll just leave it alone. But I'm guessing he would love it!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I will try the frozen kong and will let you know how it goes.

He loves his little treats.... he is SO adorable when he's eating an apple.

We cut it up in quarters for him after peeling it, and he just chews on them like he's a human!

too cute!

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
"Well, Patch just loves VEGEMITE (not sure if you can get this in the US?) and laps it up like it's going out of fashion!"

I LOVE VEGEMITE! LOL! And yes, I'm an American. We have a great Australian bakery here (in my town), and they make these wonderful cheesy-vegemite rolls. Mmmm... so good!

I was using peanut butter, but #1 Rocket didn't seem too interested and #2 I also read that PB isn't good for them. I haven't tried frozen yogurtyer...I bet he'd love it since he totally laps up the yogurt I put in his food!

Leeann--what kind of baby food do you put in it? Meats, fruits or veggies?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Im sorry but what is a Kong lol never heard of this.
Kongs are a brand of toys that are very durable, bullys have a hard time chewing them up
most have hollow spaces so that you can put treats inside that to dog will have to work to get out to eat
this keeps them busy or some time

Kong makes balls, bones, etc
there are different colors and the black ones are the toughest for heavy chewers like bully breads

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I plug the small ends with liverworst, fill them with 99% fat free beef or chicken broth, and freeze them. It's like doggie popcicles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts