Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

What does evryone feed their pits?

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  gazar 
#1 ·
I currently feed my dog a mix. He had the runs on the stuff i first baught which is nature's recipe and just the other day i baught him some purina benifial.

Is this stuff any good? what do you guys feed your bullies?

#3 ·
JMO not only is Beneful complete and utter crap, it is expensive complete and utter crap second only perhaps to Science Diet in the running for expensive complete and utter crap.

Currently my dogs eat a PetValu brand called Performatrin Ultra. Sometimes we eat Natural Balance. I've used Innova but it's too many calories for my old dogs. I also do a little raw meat (chicken necks and chicken thighs), ground raw veg (carrots, kale), sweet potato (nuked) and raw eggs. Not all at once mind. When I'm BARFing I do kibble in the morning and BARF in the evening. I also supplement with a fish body oil in the evening meal whether it's kibble or BARF.

Paula

#6 ·

There are as many opinions on what you should feed your dog as there are people feeding dogs. Everything from home cooked raw food diets to Purina and the best thing you can do is the research. There is actually a link to dog food reviews on this web site which sure opened my eyes. Let it sufice to say that there is a lot more out there that you would NEVER feed your dog than there is quality.

Timberwolf is top of the line but can be cost prohibitive for some and not all of their foods are puppy friendly (not sure the age of your pup). We feed our AB Merrick which is also high quality and some other brands that are known to be good are Innova, Fromms, Evangers and several others I can't think of off the top or my head. Plan on spending roughly double over anything you can get at the big chains if you are serious about feeding your dogs QUALITY food.

And unfortunately you cannot count on the advice of your vet either. Our vet is a Science Diet pusher. Can you say CRAP.

#8 ·
Andrew said:

There are as many opinions on what you should feed your dog as there are people feeding dogs. Everything from home cooked raw food diets to Purina and the best thing you can do is the research. There is actually a link to dog food reviews on this web site which sure opened my eyes. Let it sufice to say that there is a lot more out there that you would NEVER feed your dog than there is quality.

Timberwolf is top of the line but can be cost prohibitive for some and not all of their foods are puppy friendly (not sure the age of your pup). We feed our AB Merrick which is also high quality and some other brands that are known to be good are Innova, Fromms, Evangers and several others I can't think of off the top or my head. Plan on spending roughly double over anything you can get at the big chains if you are serious about feeding your dogs QUALITY food.

And unfortunately you cannot count on the advice of your vet either. Our vet is a Science Diet pusher. Can you say CRAP.
OMG WHAT IS IT WITH VETS PUSHING SCIENCE DIET!?? Mine does too! Thats pretty much all she has in the surgery.

Everyone is talking about Science Diet, Iams, Eukanuba... and it's only because of this site that i've realised they are CR@P!!!!

I've tried to convert some dog owners at OB school... but they don't listen... they would rather spend a couple of dollars on a few tins of Pedigree or Purina at the supermarket.... and think i'm being brainwashed and sucked in cos i go to the pet shop to buy Innova and California Natural.

#9 ·
My vet here pushes Eukanuba or however you spell it, which if yuo actually take the time to read the ingredients its the exact same as a bag of iams. I guess iam figuted they could make a few extra bucks by making a fancy name and putting the same stuff as their normal food. Call me a bad guy, but ive always fed my dogs cheap stuff and never had any problems with it.

#10 ·
Chico.Heidi said:
I used to feed Kirkland Chicken and veggies. If you're looking for something inexpensive with really good quality, I would recomend that one. They scored it in the dog food sticky and it came out really high. It's only $16 for a 40lb. bag at Costco too.
I tried this one too because the price was right and the ingredients were okay, but I definitely noticed a smell from my dogs.

Paula

#11 ·
Patch said:
OMG WHAT IS IT WITH VETS PUSHING SCIENCE DIET!?? Mine does too! Thats pretty much all she has in the surgery.
I have heard that some vet's get a percentage of the profit made from the food if they sell it at their store.

But many vet's do not need nutrition classes in order to obtain their licenses so really they don't know any better unless they are reading articles on food and what not. The commercials these products have are very very convincing to the unknown eye. I think it is beneful that has corn right on their package??? well to normal people we think oh fruit and veggies, perfect for our dog. To us knowledgeable people, we see corn and think absolutely no nutritional value for my dog and a waste of money for a cheap filler

#14 ·

I found this web site on a post several months ago that made me throw twenty plus pounds of Nutro Large Breed Puppy food in the trash. I thought I new something about what I was feeding my puppy and was surprised to see how wrong I was. Check out a review of your current food at www.dogfoodanalysis.com. I wish I were computer literate enough to just give you all a link dealeo but this should suffice. Interested to see if anyone changes their food like we did.

#17 ·
Andrew, thanks for posting that link. I was very surprised that the DVP duck and potato was only getting a 4 star. That stuff is very expensive!

I was shocked to see some of the Royal Canin formulas getting a 1 rating! :shock: I had always heard that was a good food. Over the last couple of months, I've pretty much lost all faith in most of the commercial dog food manufacturers. It's so sad too because most of us spend so much money on stuff that is just crap in a bag. And the worst part is we go around thinking that we are providing a great diet for the dog. :evil:

#18 ·
Chico.Heidi said:
Andrew, thanks for posting that link. I was very surprised that the DVP duck and potato was only getting a 4 star. That stuff is very expensive!

I was shocked to see some of the Royal Canin formulas getting a 1 rating! :shock: I had always heard that was a good food. Over the last couple of months, I've pretty much lost all faith in most of the commercial dog food manufacturers. It's so sad too because most of us spend so much money on stuff that is just crap in a bag. And the worst part is we go around thinking that we are providing a great diet for the dog. :evil:
Chico,

I so agree. The pet food industry is the toilet for so many other industry waste streams. And I find it particularly nefarious because I know so many people are trying really hard to optimize their pets' diets. I mean they go out of their way (not buying dog food at the grocery store) and are willing to pay top dollar and are getting screwed worst than a girl at a used car lot. I was just at a big box store the other day engraving a tag and saw a person spend over $100.00 for a cart full of crap - science diet lite food (the 30lb bags) and meow mix. To me it was a metaphor for screwed.

Paula

#20 ·
Chico.Heidi said:
I used to feed Kirkland Chicken and veggies. If you're looking for something inexpensive with really good quality, I would recomend that one. They scored it in the dog food sticky and it came out really high. It's only $16 for a 40lb. bag at Costco too.

I do not want to scare anyone but this Kirkland brand was put out by Diamond for Costco.
With the problems that Diamond has been having with their kibble, I would be tempted
to stay away from it. Just for info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.