Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know what food i should switch my 4 month old pittbull to. I might switch him back to pedigree but i want to learn what is best for him. I would try barf, but i heard that it will make pittbulls to bloodthirsty. It sounds like nonsense to me, but i want to make sure, and i like keeping him on just kibble. What kibble is the best, or is raw food better?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Blockhead said:
I might switch him back to pedigree but i want to learn what is best for him.
No! Don't do that!! Pedigree is very, very bad food. You're paying for a bag of corn and rotten meat. Some dogs do well on Pedigree, but most do much better on higher quality kibble.

Blockhead said:
I would try barf, but i heard that it will make pittbulls to bloodthirsty.
Total myth. Raw diets are the best for dogs, and they definitely don't make a dog bloodthirsty. If you don't the time to prepare raw meals, feed a high quality kibble such as DVP Natural Balance, Canidae, Nature's Variety, Merrick, Solid Gold....stuff with real meat in it and no cheap fillers (wheat, corn, etc.)

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks i was thinking about DVP Natural Balance. How much would it cost for a 20 lb bag

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
There are several different DVP formulas, and I think they range in price from $30-40 for a 30lb. bag. (I don't think they're sold in 20lb. bags.)

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do they have a formula especially for puppies?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I don't think so. Their food is formulated to be appropriate for all life stages. You just have to feed a puppy a larger amount than an adult dog of the same weight.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh ok i understand. what do the other foods offer if im not asking too much.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
both are meat-based right?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
kogeki said:
I feed DVP Duck and Potato and Wellness Super 5 mix. Both are excellent.
What ratio do you use? I'm thinking of feeding the dogs Nature's Variety Lamb and Oatmeal and Timberwolf Venison and Lamb. I like the variety in both of those foods. I'm thinking maybe a 75% NV to 25% Timberwolf.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Blockhead, do you have a PetsMart near you? They carry a GREAT brand called Authority. Very high quality food, and it's not that expensive. My dogs eat Authority "Large Breed Puppy" and their coats are very healthy and shiny. $13 for a 16 pound bag... I want to say $21 for a 40 lb bag, but I can't remember for sure.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LuvaBULL said:
Blockhead, do you have a PetsMart near you?
Yes we have one right up the street from where i live, and a Petco nearby too. Tell me more about this authority. It is meat-based right? Just making sure because i don't want him on some bad food for him.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
If you go to our Health section, we have a "sticky" post that grades dog food. That particular brand scored an A. I think Pedigree probably got an F. So yeah, it's great food, chicken based.

This is what the website says:

Product Information:
Specially formulated for breeds weighing greater than 55 LBS as adults. Made with high quality chicken for great taste. No by-products, artificial colors, or flavors. Naturally preserved with Vitamin E. Highly digestible for better nutrition and less backyard clean-up. 100% complete and balanced.

And the bag I got today says they just added DHA.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If your gonna get authority make sure its the harvest baked. It cost a lil bit more then the regular but it is a high quality kibble. It contains no filler byproducts wheat corn or anyother bad stuff. if you look on the dog food thread in the sticky sectoin you can find lots of good food and ratings. The regualr authortyi has corn and other junk in it i bieleve. I pay 32 bucks a 40 pound bag wich should last prob around a month with just one dog. I go threw 2 a month with my 2 dogs.

·
Registered
389 Posts
A few days after adopting my puppy we took her to the vet because she was walking with a limp and really favoring her right leg. I thought that she had hurt it. It turns out it was caused from a nutritional deficiency. I switched her over to the DVP Venison and Brown Rice Formula mixed with a small amount of this DVP wet food:

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.a..._-hp-_-springbreak&sku=382663&familyID=15437&

Not only does she go crazy for it, it healed her leg in less than a week. I don't think I'll ever feed her anything else.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Blockhead said:
Yes we have one right up the street from where i live, and a Petco nearby too. Tell me more about this authority. It is meat-based right? Just making sure because i don't want him on some bad food for him.
All foods are going to be "meat based" unless they specifically state that they are vegetarian formula. So the next question you have to ask yourself is HOW much meat do they REALLY have.

We just switched from Innova ($50+ a bag) to DVP's Ultra Premium that rates higher than Innova and it's a lot cheaper ($35 a bag) and easier to get (Petco). So far, our dogs stool looks a lot better too.

I'd definitely stay away from Pedigree, as it's probably one of the worst foods to feed a dog. Hardly has any real nutritional value.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm curious to know what the Canadian members feed their pooches. I was buying DVP duck but it is $60 for 40 lb bag. I can't afford that right now b/c I'm off work with a broken leg.
I can't believe how much more we have to pay for American products even though our dollar is almost as high as the US.
Sucks!
I am looking for something a little less expensive but still healthy for Petey because, like so many others, he does have allergies.

·
Registered
175 Posts
>>I'm curious to know what the Canadian members feed their pooches. I was buying DVP duck but it is $60 for 40 lb bag. I can't afford that right now b/c I'm off work with a broken leg.
I can't believe how much more we have to pay for American products even though our dollar is almost as high as the US.
Sucks!
I am looking for something a little less expensive but still healthy for Petey because, like so many others, he does have allergies.<<

I'm in Canada and I feed raw now, but I used to feed kibble and had excellent results with GO Natural, even in my sensitive dog (itchy ears/paws from grains). It has a very high meat content and no corn or wheat. My dogs looked awesome on it. I have also used Canidae (they had drier coats on it) and Chicken Soup for the dog lover's soul which is also a good food they did well on. They are not cheap, but cheaper than something like Eukanuba and way better IMO. The GO is about $55/30lbs, the Chicken soup is about $47/35lbs. and the Canidae is about $49 for 44lbs. I believe. I've heard Bil Jac is good to (very high meat content, but quite rich) it's a little pricey to but atleast your not paying for crap and the dog does well on less of the higher quality foods anyways. I find raw doesn't cost any more than a "premium" kibble and they do great on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts