Specifically, i'm wandering whether these are okay to give your dog directly:

Carrots?
Corn?
Tomatos?
Lettuce?
Bannana?
Orange?
Etc, Etc.

What foods specifically are GOOD and NUTRITOUS to feed your dog?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
well grapes and onions are horrible, even deadly....

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
As Kate and Bella said, those are the ones not to feed. I don't feed any tomato's Bruno would get so sick from them, so I've never gave any dog tomatoes since.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
carot's are ok in small amounts like dont use as treats there verry high in naturial suger !not good :wink:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
pitmommy said:
I did not know. Wonder if green scallions are harmful ? The kind that you find growing everywhere.
Yes they are. Green scallions are just young, immature green onions & onions are known to cause liver & kidney failure that is not treatable.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
ambulldogpup said:
Specifically, i'm wandering whether these are okay to give your dog directly:

Carrots?
Corn?
Tomatos?
Lettuce?
Bannana?
Orange?
Etc, Etc.

What foods specifically are GOOD and NUTRITOUS to feed your dog?
Some dogs can't tolerate alot of fruits and veggies (messy backyard cleanup if you know what i mean) so be careful to only feed in small amounts until you can see what your dog can tolerate. I would avoid citrus. Too much acid. Same with tomatoes. Corn will go right through them as will most raw fruits and veggies. Dogs have different systems than humans and generally digest meat much better than most fruit and veggies. In order for your dog to get anything out of feeding fruits and veggies, you should either cook them or grate them, otherwise its going to go right through them and provide them with no nutritional value. Bananas would be an exception, obviously they need no special treatment. I don't feed alot of fruits and veggies anymore as its too much work cooking or grating them. Although I will feed certain leftover cooked veggies and also feed alot of cooked sweet potatoes, they are cheap and its easy to just throw them in the microwave for 3 or 4 minutes. I steer clear of broccoli and cauliflower, gives them WAY too much gas! At blueberry season I will sometimes throw some of them in their food. If I have some apples that are past their prime in my crisper I will slice them up and give them to the dogs. Overall they don't get alot of that stuff, but they don't really require it anyways. Protien and fat is much more important to a dog than any carbohydrate is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not an expert on the subject but I have a 1 1/2 year old bulldog and here is a list of primarily what he eats (he has no health issues at all, he has been feed this since 9 weeks, although it was blended for the first few months.)...

Raw beef, buffalo, lamb, veal. Kibble for morning meal.
Added to the meat for the evening meal is...
Carrots, banana, broccoli at times, corn, sweet peas, cooked and uncooked potatos, apples, grapes, oranges at times, hard boiled eggs, pears, avacodo etc. No onions.

He is about 60 lbs. Very healthy and seems to have no bad results from his diet what so ever. I constantly mix it up and he seems happy with that.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I know a lot of people on here feed their dogs bananas, so I tried it with Heaven once. The girl spit that out and looked at me like I was nuts!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I feed my dogs all veggies except Onions,potatoes. Those are not good for them. I wouldnt feed tomattoes but everything else is fine and i have feed firsthand and noticed the difference.
My dogs eat raw meat,veggie slop
Which intails Carrots,peas,corn,yogurt,suppliments
Fruits they get Apples,pears,plums,dansom,they love them

That kind of diet is the best :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts