Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that when I've tried to play w/ Sam that she tends to bite. I'm guessing this is due to being a puppy (or young dog at least) and she is never being aggressive. As a matter of fact I've noticed this weird little bite she has that is like a sharp nibbling w/ her front teeth. I think someone on the boards mentioned it and likened it to flea combing? Anyway- why do they do this? I was told it was a sign of affection but I don't want to be the idiot who 'assumes' she's loving me when really she's just testing for the softest place to go for! :wink:

Also, how many of you actually get down on the floor and play w/ your dog (as in wrestle) especially if you have a pitbull. I you do how do you (or can you even do it) teach them to play w/out biting?

Sarah

·
Registered
979 Posts
newpitowner said:
I've noticed that when I've tried to play w/ Sam that she tends to bite. I'm guessing this is due to being a puppy (or young dog at least) and she is never being aggressive. As a matter of fact I've noticed this weird little bite she has that is like a sharp nibbling w/ her front teeth. I think someone on the boards mentioned it and likened it to flea combing? Anyway- why do they do this? I was told it was a sign of affection but I don't want to be the idiot who 'assumes' she's loving me when really she's just testing for the softest place to go for! :wink:

Also, how many of you actually get down on the floor and play w/ your dog (as in wrestle) especially if you have a pitbull. I you do how do you (or can you even do it) teach them to play w/out biting?

Sarah
LOL she's not testing you out for the best part. You're right she's just playing. I straight up wrestle with my dogs. They learn to be easy with me because if they hurt me I just stop playing. Ami, interestingly enough, has the softest mouth and she's the pitbull (the others are rhodesian ridgebacks).

Paula

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nibbling with the front teeth is both cleaning and an expression of acceptance and love.

Its normal between dogs and pups and when they accept you its normal to the owner also. I let them because its healthy for them to express this to you.
We call it in Spansih Piochito (phonetically) little nibbles.

It would take out dirt, fleas and groom in dogs, which is why they do it to each other.

·
Super Moderator
16,010 Posts
Clara is my apbt, she is the only dog of my four that "grooms". She grooms all the other dogs, the cat and me. Your pup is a pup and nipping and play biting is just part of being a pup. It is through play that they learn to soften the bite. When you are playing with her and she nips too hard, say "ouch" is a louder surprised voice. She will react by pulling off. Each time she nips more than she should, just repeat this. She will eventually learn, because the last thing they want to do is hurt you.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh thank you, that's nice to know. I so appreciate everyone on this board and their willingness to share their experience's w/ each other. Thanks folks....

Sarah :p

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
My bulldogs (AB and APBTX) both play rough! I'll wrestle with Jazz cause she smaller. She learned to be easy and she also learned that when we say "Time Out!!" she immediately stops wrestling and give little kisses. She's such a good girl. The way we taught her "be easy" is anytime she bit too hard (she only mouths now) we would yell "Ouch!" and stop all play. After a few minutes, we'd resume play, telling her "Be easy!".

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
My husband will get down on the floor with Buster and those two really play rough
I prefer to leave the rough housing to my hubby as I always seem to be the one who gets hurt..........lol
As for the nipping Buster still does this.He has been doing this since 7 weeks old and he is now 7 months old
and it seems to be when we are just playing but he does do it to my sister when she walks through out door she will pet him and he will nip at her hands.......i dont know other then its nothing to worry about :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
It's a simple sign of affection!
Joe defleas me and my husband all the time! It's simply his way of saying your important to me and I love you! But I got to admit sometimes it hurt like heck. His favorite place to deflea me is my back and or my side, which I am very ticklish there and he does know it!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Like the other responses, I wrestle with our dogs. If they nibble too hard, I yell "ouch" too and since they know this means I will stop playing, they will both come lick me even if the other dog didn't bite me. They don't want the play to stop.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I wrestle with Legend all the time. From the time I brought him home biting hard while playing with people is a no no! So whenever he would when he was younger i would go "ouch!" and stop playing with him for 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Yes, Moose is very mouthy too. He loves to play with my 7 year old and grabs his hand and then walks away with it in his mouth (like he is walking my son) It is very cute BUT can hurt. Either way we will say in a stern li=oud voice BE NICE and he will. He does get carried away when he plays but it is not to be mean. Just be consistant with your command and the pup will get it soon.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
gazar said:
Clara is my apbt, she is the only dog of my four that "grooms". She grooms all the other dogs, the cat and me. Your pup is a pup and nipping and play biting is just part of being a pup. It is through play that they learn to soften the bite. When you are playing with her and she nips too hard, say "ouch" is a louder surprised voice. She will react by pulling off. Each time she nips more than she should, just repeat this. She will eventually learn, because the last thing they want to do is hurt you.
This works like a charm. With Heaven, I also taught her to "give kisses" so she will start to lick instead of bite. She's the only one that's intelligent enough to know this command though, my other 2 aren't so swift. :lol:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I also wrestle full on with Harley. I use "No teeth" as my catch phrase. She's not stupid, she knows playtime will come to a screetching halt if she does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts