Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know whats going on with Legend. He got up a few minutes ago and his back left leg he was limping on. At first he wouldnt put it down, Then he started walking on it still limping, and then he started doing this kicking back thing. Like when after a dog goes to the potty with his leg. We didnt go for our usual long walk today. Its been cold all day so we stayed in and played. I don't think he tripped or anything. I looked inbetween his toes and felt his toes,ankle, hip and leg. It didnt bother him.He starts limping and then he stops or he'll hold it up sometimes when he stands up. Could it be growing pains? Not sure if dogs can still get those at his age( almost 13 months) He's on Canidae. He's very active. We usually go on 2-5 mile walks a day and all of his classes. He does have a scab on his pad(left back foot) from running around like a maniac last week. But I don't know if it would bother him now. Anybody got any ideas as to what it could be? I'm hoping nothing serious but I'm thinking the worst of course...Ugh!!!!!!!!!!! This is the last thing I need right now. :?

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
My last dog got a small cut from some ***hole that broke some beer bottles at a park. It wasn't really noticable but it was enough to bother her. It took time but as it healed she let it be. They seem to be irritated easily with the pads.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Check for splinters, etc., and keep an eye out for any redness (lol, if that's possible) swelling, heat...

...and sometimes things just get 'stuck'...I have horse with a genetic condition in his right back knee...he goes forward just fine...but he can't manage to step backwards properly (his entire leg has to swing out and around) and when I do pick up that foot...I have to let it go carefully and step aside because he needs to 'kick it out' to get that leg back in a comfortable position...

...forgot the medical term for it... :?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay. I have him resting in his crate of course Mr. Busybody stood there staring me down like what the h3ll am I suppose to do in here? lol. So I gave him a stuffed bone. Maybe the scab on his foot is itchy or sore or something. I guess I'll see tomorrow...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Matieca (10yr old Kelpie/Chow) does something similar. She has done it three times in the past six months that I noticed. Each time it lasted for 10-30 minutes. She will have been fine, laying around being lazy. I will do the "all outside" call, and every runs for the door. Then I noticed her limping, when she stopped she would hold it up. When I make her lay down to check it out, she still won't relax it or stretch it out. The only thing that was a constant each time, was that Matieca had been sleeping or laying around before it happened.
Her vet seems to think it was either a muscle cramp (charlie horse-like), or that she had been laying on her leg weird and it fell asleep and she ended up with pins and needles. What seemed to help out was putting a heating pad on her leg and massaging it to help the muscles relax.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.