Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...so I have probably been buying the worst food but I'm not sure what to get and I need something that is healthy and affordable at the same time. I have my AB puppy who is 4 months old, a boxer who is a year and pit lab mix who is 5 yrs. old I would like to be able to buy them all the same type of food but I'm sure my puppy needs something different for now. Is there anything you guys can suggest for all of them?? Also, I know it's bad to give them table scraps but it happens all the time...I just can't help it, I even cook for the hell of it just to give them some freshly cooked meat. But how bad is it really? Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
healthy and affordable at the same time
Diamond dog food, either the Naturals Lamb & Rice or the Large Breed, available at a lot of hardware and farm stores, decent ratings, very affordable, especially you having 3 dogs.

From the ratings, either wouldn't be bad....Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B ; Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I would disagree on the Diamond thing. I fed Diamond Lamb Meal and Rice for several months because it is only $25 for a 40lb. bag, but you really get what you pay for with that stuff. It's is VERY heavy on the grains: 3 or 4 different kinds of rice in the first 5 ingredients. Someone please explain why dogs need 3 different kinds of rice in their food. :?

I would suggest trying to find a place that sells Canidae. Very good food that costs about as much (maybe just a little more) as Diamond.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have found that there is no 'best' dog food because what works for one dog may not work for another and that is without making quality statements on the food. I've used a number of foods (as well as raw and homecooked). I am currently using Innova. I'm not interested in a lot of grains in my kibbles. I like oatmeal, brown rice and quinoa - I don't especially like brewers rice, white rice and corn.

Paula

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
amber81 said:
Okay...something that is healthy and affordable at the same time..... 3 dogs.....Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks.
This person is looking for any suggestions, not disagreeing with anothers suggesion.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
I think the dog food depends on what your dogs system can tolerate..

Ive tried 3 already and have settled on a fourth for now although it does seems to make Mason shed A LOT more..but it could be the weather too..

Im using canidae right now but ive tried authority harvest baked, royal canine, and DVP...

I had no real major problemson dvp just it make his #2 friend soft..

The Canidae is 30 bucks I believe for a 30lb bag..or it could be 28..but ive heard a lot of other members swearing by this food so maybe look it up

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
tycosales said:
amber81 said:
Okay...something that is healthy and affordable at the same time..... 3 dogs.....Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks.
This person is looking for any suggestions, not disagreeing with anothers suggesion.
Diamond is certainly healthier than, say, Pedigree or Purina, but in the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't consider it "healthy." Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

·
Registered
790 Posts
innova evo or barkin at the moon

What do you call affordable? You pay for what you get. You may pay less now on kibble but you pay at the vets. I guarantee it.

Look at the calorie count. You give 1/3 less food and 1/2 the crap on the yard. To me, that is like gold. So, a bag of 33lb food at 55 dollars us is WELL worth it, even though it costs 1/3 or 1/2 more in the long run.
Do the math.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Canidae seems to get the vote of everyone so far, I guess I will try that out, I just want to make sure they get what they need. What would be some of the things that I need to look for when I switch it up on them, just to make sure it works with their systems? Thanks for all the comments...more is welcomed!!

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
dont just switch them cold turkey..you have to be gradual with it...start out with 3/4 of their old foos and a 1/4 cup of new.. then in a few days make it half and half...and so on until its just new food.. Thats what I did anyhow...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Obelisk said:
dont just switch them cold turkey..you have to be gradual with it...start out with 3/4 of their old foos and a 1/4 cup of new.. then in a few days make it half and half...and so on until its just new food.. Thats what I did anyhow...
Yup its better that way. So thet don't have an upset stomach with the sudden change! :D

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I guess it really depends where you buy your dog food as to the price. Several blocks from me is a Premium Pet Products store, one of 3 stores (a small locally owned chain). There Diamond Naturals is much less than the Canidae. But I just checked on-line and found the Canidae on special at about the same price ..... :oops:

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I reccomend, Wellness or Solid Gold. There are so many foods out there, and like someone said, every dog is different and some foods will work over others. Now my dog will eat anything in her bowl, so I always make sure it's the best. Then again, I only have to buy food for one dog, not three. I personally, with any food you buy, buy seperate food for the puppy, puppies need more protien than full grown dogs do. Your pet food supplier will have more informatoin on that.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
ambulldogpup said:
I personally, with any food you buy, buy seperate food for the puppy, puppies need more protien than full grown dogs do. Your pet food supplier will have more informatoin on that.
I'm not feeding Norris a puppy formula, but he is still thriving. He's at a great weight (growing steadily, too, not in spurts), never been sick, and his skin and coat are in excellent condition. He's in much better shape than Bella was when she was a pup! :lol:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
ambulldogpup said:
I personally, with any food you buy, buy seperate food for the puppy, puppies need more protien than full grown dogs do. Your pet food supplier will have more informatoin on that.
I'm not feeding Norris a puppy formula, but he is still thriving. He's at a great weight (growing steadily, too, not in spurts), never been sick, and his skin and coat are in excellent condition. He's in much better shape than Bella was when she was a pup! :lol:
I've heard that you can feed an adult formula instead of a puppy formula! :D

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
athority harvest baked has always done good for biz
only place ive found it is at petsmart
it scored a 116 on the scale
cost about 30 bucks for a 35 pound bag

·
Registered
979 Posts
tycosales said:
amber81 said:
I always hesitate to endorse one food over the other for reasons stated. So I always modify my answer to say, "well dogs do differently on different foods. My dogs currently eat ________ but also have eaten_______."

Paula

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sassy turned 7 mo old on Thanksgiving, 73 lbs of muscle and sassiness, LOL. Ive had her on Diamond Large Breed puppy (not overdone in the fat, calcium, protein depts) but have added some Nature's Variety kibble (they have so many choices, and it's all life stages too) along with a morning small can of Merrick's (lots of variety too). Hadn't had any shedding, gas or soft stool problems. Plus I have had all my relatives do the online coupon deal so I've been getting the Natures Variety for about haf price in the small bags.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts