Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Mr. Apollo got these 2 red marks on his back right paw inbetween his toes last week I've tried everything to clean it up to no avail. Dont think there cysts, & leaning more towards hot spots. It's not bugging him at all, minus him licking it all the time. No pain to touch or anything like that. They have gotten better, but ( by the pic ) they have stayed like this for awhile. Really really dont want to go to the vet on this one, so any advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
Chap

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
It could be a number of things, but I would suggest putting hydrocortisone cream on it. If it's some sort of bite or whatever, if it itches, which is why he may be biting it, the cream would help that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys,

Yes, only his left rear paw, between 2 toes. Very strange.

Thanx
Chap

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
It could be a number of things...could be allergies. Scarlet get red irritations on only her front right paw??? She licks it all the time when its red too...its not a big bump...more like shinny, red, no hair, and smooth. We have taken her to the vet for an eye irritation and were told that it was due to allergies and he warned us that this spring dont be surprised if her feet get red...and low and behold...about 1 month ago her one foot has. Now if it is allergies my vet said it is ok to give Scarlet - 65lb AB- one 10 mg Cariton (sp?) a day...the regular, not D. We have not given them to her yet (she was on other medication for her eye...don't like mixing things) but I am planning on giving it to both of my dogs.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
apbtgurl26 said:
It could be a number of things, but I would suggest putting hydrocortisone cream on it. If it's some sort of bite or whatever, if it itches, which is why he may be biting it, the cream would help that.
I wouldn't put a steroid on anything unless you see a vet first. If it is a bacteria or fungus you will make it worse. I would bet it is just an allergy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are probably right. Apollo is about 90 lbs ( american/english mix, 3 1/2 years old ). I thought it was weird that it was just on one paw. He is mainly a house dog, but I noticed this after I cut the grass last week ( can you say allergies ). Thanx for the Cariton idea. I'll look that up on pet meds & see what I come up with. Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
Chap

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Another option is to put an E-collar (lampshade looking thing) on him for a few days so he cannot keep licking the foot. That way, you will be able to see if there is any discharge coming from the sore spot. Might help for when you take him to the vet, if you can tell them that the spot drains or whatnot. I know you can purchase e-collars at places like Petco and Petsmart for under $20. Just an option.

Oh and the e-collar would prevent him from licking any ointment that you may put on it, off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.