Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for all of you who feed your dogs raw. We switched Loki to raw recently from high grade kibble. Its only been two weeks and we can already notice differences in her coat, eyes, and activity level. I was wondering if you guys would post what you feed daily. I'm looking to mix things up abit for her. I have found many ideas on the net but I would like to hear what you guys do :p

Loki's Raw

We usually feed her two meals a day. She gets this freshly repared raw food from our trainer. It is good stuff. It contains the meat, organs, green tripe, bone etc. Each morning she gets salmon oil and missing link with her food. She also get various raw bones at least one daily. Sometimes we just feed her once a day and she may get a chicken back or something or fresh fish. We are going to introduce eggs soon.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I change their food up everyday, but here are some samples of what each of my dogs might get twice a day (once in the morning, and once in the early evening).

1/2 a full size carrot with baby spinich crushed in a food processor. I change up the spinach with other leafy greens, but I always feed carrots for the vision benefits. Then I add either ground beef, ground chicken, ground pork, veal, or chopped up lamb and mix that in the food processor, with an egg yolk for each dog. Sometimes I add fish oil to this mixture, other times I just give them non-smoked sardines in soybean oil. At least three times a week I mix in offal (liver, hearts, gizzards, etc.). At least three times a week I'll mix in some fruit with this too, usually apples or melons. All of this mixed together produces a nice rounded mixture that I use as the basis for the diet. The fruits and veggies make up about 15% of their weekly diet.

In addition to the mixture, my dogs get the raw meaty bones, which are probably the most important part of the meal. I mainly use chicken wings. You can also use chicken or turkey necks, backs, or just about any other part of the bird. I've heard of some people occasionally offering an entire game bird, such as a small chicken, or a quail. I use mainly chicken wings because the ratio of flesh to bone, and cartilage to fat is ideal in the wings. You can also use lamb shanks, lamb ribs, and lamb necks, but I've not had luck with Odie eating anything lamb. I also give them each dog a chicken wing or other raw meaty bone in between meals, and sometimes another after their second meal (so that's an average of four per dog per day). Ox tails and beef ribs are also okay. You need to change it up sometimes; they shouldn't get just one type of raw meaty bone. Also, many dogs have problems with choking on turkey necks. I avoid them because Tala inhales her food and would likely choke on them.

With their morning meal, at least three times a week I give them a little cottage cheese or plain yoghurt. This provides beneficial bacteria (live cultures). Also at least three times a week, they get either non-smoked sardines in soy oil or a spoonful of fish oil.

At least three times per week they also get a recreational bone to clean their teeth and work their muscles. Dogs use almost every muscle in their bodies when they knaw on soup and marrow bones. When they're scraping real hard it's cleaning their teeth, and flexing the whole body.

Supplements: Both dogs get a multi-vitamin (pet pals), vitamin E tabs, and fish oil when they don't eat sardines. Kelp is often added to the diet because it provides just about every mineral necessary. I don't use it anymore because it has upset every one of my dogs stomachs.

Other notes: It's important to crush up their veggies and fruits into pulp, because this aspect of their diet is meant to duplicate the the stomach contents of herbivores that they would eat in the wild. They don't really digest large chunks of veggies, and will pass them whole a lot of the times. Use green leafy veggies and whatever fruit is in season. Avoid nuts, onions, potatoes, and legumes (peas and beans). Also, too much of the cabbage family can cause thyroid problems.

One of the key things to do with this diet is make it varied. You usually cannot provide a completely balanced diet in every meal, so you mix it up and make sure that, every week for example, they've gotten a full, rounded, and completely balanced diet. This means you feed different things everyday. Some days it's eggs and meat, other days its veggies and offal, etc. But, they need the raw meaty bones EVERYDAY.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Variety is definately the key!!! :D

I always have some premade raw handy, just for quick meals, and they are very balanced. This is where I get our pre made raw from

http://www.mtnhighshiba.ca/

I have the beef full meal and the chicken full meal. I usually feed one of those patties once a day, usually the morning, cause they are quick. With the morning meal, a teaspoon of Yogurt or cottage cheese, and a immune system builder(herb). In the evening its always something different. Last night I fed 3 whole sardines, I buy them frozen and thaw them and feed. I also bought a big bag of chicken wings, tonight she got about 5 or 6 of them. I buy Turkey Carcasses from a butcher, and Lucy LOVES them. A couple times a week I give her half a chicken, that is a pretty big meal though. I get Buffalo and beef knuckles for a recreational bone. I give it to her frozen, let her work on it. Other good recreational chews are pigs feet, Dozer LOVED them. I can't think of anything else right now, I'm sure I will later, then I will add to it.

Oh yeah, When I am in a hurry and need a quick meal I give Lucy an Egg, she grabs it and chomp right into it. She really likes them. I've never had a problem with raw eggs, but its been mentioned that they should be cooked.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I love to cook, and don't laugh, but this sounds almost fun :wink: Harley gets the very best, and I'm already paying $30 for 15lbs. of food. Of course, she eats less of this high quality kibble. About how much do you think it would cost to buy say a months worth of raw food stuf? I have a deep freezer, so I can buy in bulk from the meat outlet to save money. I'm seriously considering this, but thought maybe I would slowly accumulate all of the neccessary vitamins first, so I don't totally kill my budget all at once. You're saying they need fish oil, and vitamin E, is that all of the vitamins I would need to buy?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
nanniesrock said:
I love to cook, and don't laugh, but this sounds almost fun :wink: Harley gets the very best, and I'm already paying $30 for 15lbs. of food. Of course, she eats less of this high quality kibble. About how much do you think it would cost to buy say a months worth of raw food stuf? I have a deep freezer, so I can buy in bulk from the meat outlet to save money. I'm seriously considering this, but thought maybe I would slowly accumulate all of the neccessary vitamins first, so I don't totally kill my budget all at once. You're saying they need fish oil, and vitamin E, is that all of the vitamins I would need to buy?
If you do it yourself you can generally spend much less on raw depending on the sources in your area. When you by pre-made it can get more expensive but you can find some that aren't out to make a fortune and only want pets to have a great, wholesome diet that won't break you.

I use a supplement I make, but there is no vit e in it. Also I use flax seed oil or ground flax seed instead of fish oil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First off about every two weeks I make a veggies mix and freeze it in container that hold about 3 days worth. I use whatever veggies are in season/on sale. My last batch was spinach, red cabbage, carrots, and celery. I mix them all in the food processor till they are a mushy substance almost like juice with lots of pulp. Then I measure and separate into my containers, then freeze. My next batch I'm making today will have carrots, broccoli, spinach, turnip, and parsley.

Jazmine is on a regulated diet so she gets 50% RMB and 50% veggies in her diet. Most dogs tend to get 60% RMB and 40% veggies. Although that's a good starting point but you can change it to what you think your dog needs by how they look.

~Yesterday Jazmine got ground pork with veggies, 1tbls of natural yogurt, and a supplement mix I make to give her added vit and min for breakfast and some pork neck bone for dinner.

~Today she had ground lamb with her veggies, yogurt, and supplement and I'll give her some lamb breast bone for dinner.

~Tomorrow she'll get venison meat and bone mixture and her veggies, yogurt, and supplement will be her dinner

~Sunday she gets grass fed cow green tripe, heart, and lungs mixture (she gets the offal mix 2-3 times/week) and her veggies, yogurt, and supplement, with a large rec bone to chew on for dinner.

~Monday she's having ground beef with her veggies, yogurt, and supplement and a beef soup bone for dinner.

~Tuesday she'll have ground prok, veggies, yogurt, and supplement for breakfast and some pork RMB (raw meaty bones) for dinner (not sure which ones yet)

~Wednesday she'll get her offal mix for breakfast and veggies, yogurt, and supplements for dinner.

~Thursday she'll have half a whole salmon (about 1.5 lbs) and for dinner veggies, yogurt, and supplement.

That could be changed up a bit, I try to change her foods so she's not getting the same thing all the time. Jazmine gets a lot of venison, pork, and lamb. No matter what those we have around all the time. If Jazmine didn't have cystinuria I would give her poultry and also add vit C to her diet.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Loki got her first whole fish tonight :p She didnt know exactly what to do with it at first. I took the fish broke some meat off for her to try and she was fine from there. She loved it. She ate the whole thing even the head. I'm so happy :p

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
For sure, maybe just give her as a side to a couple chicken backs, just incase just the organ meats don't agree with her. I never really feed organ meats alone, I will give them along with some wings or something.

Lucy now loves fish, it took her a while too :lol: She kinda just pushed it around at first, lol. This morning I gave her 3 whole sardines, For supper tonight she got a quarter chicken, thigh and leg. She loves RAW!!!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Care. I printed it out to use as a general guideline. So much info is on this site re: raw, you'd think it would be simple. I guess how much is what I'd have to work on. Every dog is different, so I guess trial and error. Thanks

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Please explain this to me.....

I am hearing a lot about the raw diet and even the pet stores have signs up about it.

Why and how is it better for them?

How do you get started on this?

With them eating this wont they gain more weight and get chunky?

I read above about chicken thighs and whole chickens does this mean the bone as well,wont they choke on that?

Has anyone's dogs NOT been able to handle the raw diet such as vomiting or the runs?

At what age would you start this?

I also read above a lot of you guys are giving frozen bones EVERYDAY , Why is this and what kind of bones and how is marrow bones healthy for a dog? I get marrow bones once a month as a treat and let them eat the middle out and chew on the bone till they start getting pieces off and then take it.Is this what you all do?

Do you prepare ahead of time and freeze it then thaw when you are going to feed or do you prepare the same day you are gonna feed it and how do you know how much to give?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to learn more about this so any info would be great.Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kelly,

I'll PM you some info on raw in a bit. Sam and I are about to watch a movie. Switching to raw has been the best thing we have ever done for Loki. The trainer makes a pre made raw mix and sells it for cheap! By the way, you missed a great training session today. I'll post some pics in a bit.

Thom

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Please explain this to me.....

I am hearing a lot about the raw diet and even the pet stores have signs up about it.

Why and how is it better for them?

How do you get started on this?

With them eating this wont they gain more weight and get chunky?

I read above about chicken thighs and whole chickens does this mean the bone as well,wont they choke on that?

Has anyone's dogs NOT been able to handle the raw diet such as vomiting or the runs?

At what age would you start this?

I also read above a lot of you guys are giving frozen bones EVERYDAY , Why is this and what kind of bones and how is marrow bones healthy for a dog? I get marrow bones once a month as a treat and let them eat the middle out and chew on the bone till they start getting pieces off and then take it.Is this what you all do?

Do you prepare ahead of time and freeze it then thaw when you are going to feed or do you prepare the same day you are gonna feed it and how do you know how much to give?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to learn more about this so any info would be great.Thanks in advance!!!!
Some links to get you started

Raw FAQ: http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

Why dogs do not grains: http://www.pets4life.com/index.php?p=research/articles/14/

Some good ideas on feeding: http://www.spbr.org/raw/raw.htm

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
kogeki said:
Do you guys ever feed whole pieces of meat? Like a steak?

I picked up a bag of chicken liver and hearts. Is that something that is good to give her?
I feed them whole pieces of lamb all the time. I cut them up and place them on top of their meals as a special treat. They also get raw beef quite a bit. My dogs aren't that big, so I've never given them an entire steak; I usually just cut it in half.

I feed them chicken hearts, liver, and gizzards all the time. I also sometimes give beef hearts and livers instead. That satisfies the offal part of the diet. I have to mix it in the food, though, otherwise Odie won't eat it. My golden retriever wouldn't eat liver of any kind, either, unless I hid it really well in her food. Bulldog breeds are less discerning, though. Tala will eat them whole, unmixed.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beetle said:
kogeki said:
Do you guys ever feed whole pieces of meat? Like a steak?

I picked up a bag of chicken liver and hearts. Is that something that is good to give her?
I feed them whole pieces of lamb all the time. I cut them up and place them on top of their meals as a special treat. They also get raw beef quite a bit. My dogs aren't that big, so I've never given them an entire steak; I usually just cut it in half.

I feed them chicken hearts, liver, and gizzards all the time. I also sometimes give beef hearts and livers instead. That satisfies the offal part of the diet. I have to mix it in the food, though, otherwise Odie won't eat it. My golden retriever wouldn't eat liver of any kind, either, unless I hid it really well in her food. Bulldog breeds are less discerning, though. Tala will eat them whole, unmixed.
Loki's raw food mix has alot of offal things in it but I also started giving her hearts, gizzards and liver too. She loves them. I give them as treats too.

Everyone at our training club could see the difference in Loki and its only been two weeks.

Here is Loki getting her first fish. She had no idea what she was supposed do with it at first but she caught on quickly though

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That pic is cute!

I give Jaz whole venison steaks and roasts as well as pork shoulder roasts. That's how dogs in the wild eat their prey, by tearing it up. I just cut them up to about 1 lb then freeze. Also I give jazmine all her meat (that is not in pieces or ground) and bones frozen. She is a gulper and will not chew otherwise.

I have been giving Jaz salmon lately because it was on sale for $ 1/lb!

I don't feed liver. I might if it was from a organic or free range source, but actually I do get that and I still don't feed it. Think about what the liver does. It's the filter of what goes into our bodies. If you're unsure of the source I wouldn't feed it. Green tripe is one of the best things you can give your dog, just make sure it's not white (bleached) because it looses it's nutritional value.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
kogeki said:
Beetle, what kind of fish do you like to feed? Do you know what kind would be best nutritionally?
Mainly sardine fillets in soybean oil. Occasionally anchovies instead (the kind that come in a tin). If you give Loki the canned type, be sure not to get any type of smoked fish.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Where do you guys purchase all of these diferent cuts of meat and organs? I've been interested in this diet for a little while now because of my dog's problems with allergies and yeast. Almost everyone that is using this diet seems to rave about it. I'm just not sure if all of that stuff would be available to me. I live in an area where there are mostly large chain supermarkets. There are some areas that have alot of hispanic and asian markets that have more variety in the meat department, maybe I could check there. Is green tripe a common thing to find in supermarkets?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts