Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a serious question.
I recentley took my 2 yr. old amstaff for a walk around 6 am by the beach. I took her early in the morning because it is quiet and peaceful and she can chase birds lol. Anyways I started walking her through town when I heard a jingling noise of another dog collar, so I turned my amstaff around and started walking back where I came, (just in case there was any trouble) and this little dog came running over, and my amstaff was on alert but did nothing. This dog came right up without any bark and bit my dog on the face, so I pulled my dog away, and at that time she had her collar on and not her harness, and that dog grabbed her kneck. so she turned around and attempeted to attack her. I was pulling my dog away and said no, and of course she listened, but that dog was grabing on to her tail with her teeth close to the butt part of my dog, and she did nothing but try and walk away because she knew that I said no.
My question is What do I do if this happens again? I mean these dogs that are running loose are quiet mean, if I had my children I would be so scared that, that little dog would have bitten us. I tried to scare the other dog away and no it wouldn't budge. Any advice in case it happens again.

·
Registered
979 Posts
mtinyfeet said:
I have a serious question.
I recentley took my 2 yr. old amstaff for a walk around 6 am by the beach. I took her early in the morning because it is quiet and peaceful and she can chase birds lol. Anyways I started walking her through town when I heard a jingling noise of another dog collar, so I turned my amstaff around and started walking back where I came, (just in case there was any trouble) and this little dog came running over, and my amstaff was on alert but did nothing. This dog came right up without any bark and bit my dog on the face, so I pulled my dog away, and at that time she had her collar on and not her harness, and that dog grabbed her kneck. so she turned around and attempeted to attack her. I was pulling my dog away and said no, and of course she listened, but that dog was grabing on to her tail with her teeth close to the butt part of my dog, and she did nothing but try and walk away because she knew that I said no.
My question is What do I do if this happens again? I mean these dogs that are running loose are quiet mean, if I had my children I would be so scared that, that little dog would have bitten us. I tried to scare the other dog away and no it wouldn't budge. Any advice in case it happens again.
I have some rules to walk by;

1. I carry pepper spray (direct stop) and a beating stick.
2. If my ridgeback is on leash and your loose dog attacks my ridgeback, I'm letting my ridgeback go.

Paula

·
Registered
512 Posts
Interesting as I have wondered what I would do in a similar situation and personally I've felt the same way. IF this dog is not going to leave my dog alone then - sorry my dog was leashed yours wasn't and kept going for her. *shrug* I get aggravated when I am out walking my dog and another person's dog comes at her. This happened the other day while I was out walking her, a sheppard came charing up to Sam and I sort of thought 'crap this isn't good' but she listened when I told her to 'leave it'. She's very good on leash but why don't people THINK?! What if she wasn't as good on leash?

Sarah

·
Registered
790 Posts
First, avoid any place where you know there COULD be loose dogs. Parks are typically very bad.

Second, I always keep my dogs on the leash.

Third, if a loose dog comes close.........friendly or not............I kick the crap out of it. If it bites me and it is off leash, the owner is in biggggg trouble.

When my boy killed this loose dog (owner did not even have a leash), the police and the spca said I have the right to pursue legal litigation against the dead dog's owner for destroying years of training on my dog.

In a fight, however, many people I know carry a breaking stick.

The bad part is not the loose dog dying. The bad part is the years of training (trying to get it NOT dog aggressive and ignoring other dogs) going down the tubes. Why? The chances of a bully loving the fight is pretty high.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes PeterC I agree with you about the park and other dogs, but the middle of downtown where I live is one side downtown the other side beach and park. I usually try to kick the other dog to scare it in leaving, but that always doesn't work.
And yes she usually stands on guard when stray dogs approach but that's about it, but when these dogs attack her, it puts all our training to putts.
I wish so much people wouldn't let their dogs run loose, even if it is walking beside them, because it doesn't help responsible owners that have their dogs on a leash.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I get a lot of that crap where I live. The typical off leash dog with zero training that comes barreling at my dog while the retarded owner yells "come" 150 times while standing there like an idiot. They almost always say "don't worry he's friendly" to which I reply, "I'm not" It's funny that they think it's my dog they need to worry about, lol.

See signature below...

·
Registered
979 Posts
Years ago when I frequented a now-dead ridgeback message board a guy related a story. He and his wife were walking their ridgebacks on lead; the wife was up ahead on the trail with the female and the guy had the male. He heard his wife scream so he released the male who went surging up the trail. When the guy got there the male had killed one loose dog who'd attacked his wife and dog and run the other off. It's one of the traits I like about ridgebacks; they were bred to protect the family, be a house dog and a hunting dog. People like to say ridgies won't start fights but they will definitely finish them.

How I would react depends on what dog I have. I'd be more worried about traumatizing Amrika at a tender age by her being set upon by another dog, but I think she's terrier enough to TCB if she was attacked. One of the reasons I would drop the leash is to get out of my dog's way while he kicked ass.

Truly though, where I live we've only encountered loose dogs once - in a pack, and saw them well ahead of us and turned around and informed the dog warden. Well no actuallly a couple mornings ago a husky wanted to 'meet' Yoshi and Amrika (105lb rhodesian ridgeback and 65lb AB/Pit Mix), but I stopped and sternly told him to "GO HOME" in enough of a threatening way that he ran back as his owner called him. But I still carry pepper spray and a stick - I would like to stop the dog before he became an issue for my dog.

Paula

·
Registered
66 Posts
We have a little rat dog that runs around loose in our area and mayby I'm no role model but I don't try and avoid it at all. Our AB has not yet decided to eat him but I have punted it a couple of times.

I saw a neighbor beat the crap out of a guys dog in front of him as it was unleashed and attacked his leashed dog. I don't want my dog to get in fights at all but hopefully she would cover my a$$ because I have no problem going at it with an unleashed dog.

If it were a consistent problem, I like the idea of the beating stick or pepperspray.

·
Registered
345 Posts
So true. It sucks when you are out for your walk and a loose dog ruins a perfect afternoon. And like someone mentioned, this pomerians owner called the dog 100 times chased it up and down the street with treat. Another curly coat retriever came walking up the street so the pom (male) left sheila alone, after several attempts by me to kick (at that time the owner was not even around) I sprayed water from my bottle in its face , but that only deterred it a bit. He ran up to the lab, the lab did not take to kindly and snapped at it a bunch of times. then the owner has the nerve to tell me to please stop walking cuz his dog is following my dog away. I told him his dog should be on a leash, his reply?? He always runs out of the house when we open the door. I am no dog expert, or zen master trainer, but I have had many dogs in my lifetime and have never had any of these types of issues. Lucky or good, some people should not have dogs period.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is a big problem where I live also. Storm came to me with a very high fight drive. If a dog approaches her ( besides Sam) no sound she'll just latch on. As such she is never off lead on walks or allowed to greet other dogs. Unfortuently lots of dogs roam here and she has got hold of 2 of them. Luckily I grabbed her face both times so she couldn't cause anything more then a bite (both dogs were larger then her)

What gets me is these owners now look at my dog like she's a killer when in fact they are breaking the law by allowing their dogs to roam. Council rules are if a dog approaches you are allowed to defend yourself by carrying a stick etc but if you know your dog is likely to be aggressive to other dogs you should muzzle them. The last dog Storm got hold off was a larger staffy bitch that charged at her. If Storm was muzzled she wouldn't have stood a chance.

I know the feeling about training, we are seeing a trainer and it just seems to be 1 step forwards 2 steps back. Storm starts to feel comfortable and not so hyped when all of a sudden a dog will charge and take us right back to square one.

Carry a large stick or boot the other dog, I know it sounds awful but you've got a right to defend yourself and your dog.

·
Registered
35 Posts
on the two occasion when my dog has been attacked while he is on a leash the first thing I do is let go of the leash. Part of it is you can make the situation worse by pulling his head up and not letting your dog show the other dog he is not going to be aggressive. with that being said Bo has been taught in general that if he is uncomfortable with the situation he will lie down. I belive that it is my job to protect him not visa versa !!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
you know I am reading some of your guys's responses and I know this is going to hack someone off but well socalized dogs know how to react !!! Yes I take my pit to the dog park have for 5 years and never had a problem !!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting. I think I should buy some pepper spray just in case.

I live in the city and while 99% of the owners are responsible. (no one wants a loose dog running into traffic) I am in fear of the 1% who has no control of their dog.

·
Registered
36 Posts
valleygrls98 said:
you know I am reading some of your guys's responses and I know this is going to hack someone off but well socalized dogs know how to react !!! Yes I take my pit to the dog park have for 5 years and never had a problem !!
when you see a dog running down the street after yours, can you tell if s/he is well socialized? I mean you can ask the owner and you will get a biased answer. I never assumed other dogs are socialized (hell, my dog isn't the most socialized dog either, but I'm trying to work on that)

·
Registered
66 Posts

I'm happy to see someone else takes their dog to dog park as well, valleygrls98. I have never been convinced that certain dogs MUST be kept away from others based solely on breed. Our AB has been around other dogs since we got her and loves to play with them. We always keep a close eye on her just in case as we have heard that her temperment could change as she gets older.

Does anyone have older bully breeds that still like playing with other dogs? All I ever hear is negative input on this.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
valleygrls98 said:
I disagree. My male AB is almost 2 yrs old. He was socialized like mad when he was young. We took him everywhere. At about the 8 mos mark he started to show signs of dog aggression and now at age two he will not tolerate another dog in his space. (except our other dogs at home) It certainly isn't from lack of trying.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
We have 2 jack Russel terriers in our neighborhood that run amuck...they just cruise around, barking and nipping at whomever they please. Anytime we call animal control, the dogs are nowhere to be found. Our animal control officers have to actually SEE the dogs running loose themselves before they cite the owner AND they have to be cites TWICE before animal control takes the dog in as a stray. Completely ridiculous.

These 2 JRTs will charge my fence barking like mad at Rocket...Rocket generally just looks at them and will occasinally bark back, but I always bring ROcket in...I don't want to know if he can jump my fence OR what he might do to those dogs if he caught them. I have seen no dog aggression in ROcket YET (he's only 9 months old) and I don't want a dead JRT on my front lawn to figure it out for sure.

I carry pepper spray with me when I walk Rocket, not only for protection in case of a dog fight, but also for my protection. I'm pretty sure no one would approach me when I'm walking him, butI'm paranoid like that :wink: I also wouldn't hesitate to kick away someone's off leash dog if I had to...I don't want Rocket to get involved in a fight because of the ramifications menitoned above (training down the tubes, dog agression, etc).

We do have 2 ancient Rotties down the street that occasionally escape their backyard...but they are sooo sweet...if you tell them to 'go home' they hang their head's dejectedly and trot back to their yard.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Andrew said:

I'm happy to see someone else takes their dog to dog park as well, valleygrls98. I have never been convinced that certain dogs MUST be kept away from others based solely on breed. Our AB has been around other dogs since we got her and loves to play with them. We always keep a close eye on her just in case as we have heard that her temperment could change as she gets older.

Does anyone have older bully breeds that still like playing with other dogs? All I ever hear is negative input on this.
Harley's almost 2, and loves all breeds of dogs. She has played with 5 or 6 other bullies without incident. Small breed iff leash dogs have attempted to "start something" with her while she is on-leash, she has never shown aggression in return. Maybe she just thinks they're a joke, who knows. All I know is that from day one, I have socialized the crap out of my dog in every imaginable situation, and I've never had anything but pride. Maybe she's the exception to the rule.

Harley & her BF Dakota

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes Harley sounds like a great dog, Our Nisha isn't totally socialized but when on a leash and walking she notices the stray dogs and keeps walking, but has them in her view, (we all know stray dogs love to come visit dogs on a leash for some reason), but like I said our dog did nothing when it came up, its when the stray dog bit her on the face with no warning, with everyones advice I will definately carry a big stick or pepper spray.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I live in a rural small town where nobody seems to take the leash laws seriously either. Bam has only bit one dog, but it was going after my wife not him. I know he would though, like I said in a different thread, mine is only aggressive toward another dog if it is being a spaz. By spaz I mean any sudden movements not just aggressive ones. He is fine with our neighbors rottie, but its a female about 50lbs overweight and as lazy as they come. They wrestle for about 5 minutes and she needs a 3 hour nap. If other people had well adjusted dogs Bam would never have an issue on a walk. I think these people's dogs are monsters because they are unhappy with their crappy owner.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts