Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I have a bulldog breed that I adopted about 2.5 years ago from a friend of mine. His name is Otis, and we are so happy and blessed to have him in our life.
Recently he started to express some aggressive behaviour like barking and he flees to the corner of the house when a guest came over. Also, when we go for a walk, he barks continuously at other dogs.
We are much anxious about the change in his behaviour and worried about what to do for him! Is this because as he is unhappy and insecure with us? What is the best way to keep him calm and happy?
Can leaving him at a dog boarding for a few days could change him?
Please share your opinions.

·
Super Moderator
15,973 Posts
It sounds like he has developed fear aggression. Think back to before Otis started with these new behaviors and see if you can pinpoint when he started to become afraid. If he has a tendency to be timid and he was left alone in a boarding facility it is possible it brought it on especially if the people there were not very patient with him.

First, take him to your vet for evaluation to ensure he does not have any medical issues. After that, a trainer can evaluate Otis and correct the fear aggression before it gets out of hand. Not anything an untrained person should handle. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,
We have already taken him to the vet. But there are no significant medical issues found in the detailed check-up. He also said that aggressive behaviour might be due to some fear developed in Otis. But we are not sure about what was the situation which made Otis so. Otis had a trainer, but he transitioned to another city last month. Will the trained professionals in the dog boarding hotel be able to change his current issues?
Besides the professional trainers, he could also get a chance to spend some time with the other dogs in the boarding.
Let me know your thoughts on this?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,973 Posts
Socialization does help in preventing fears, but now his fears are established. You need to find the things that he is fearful of and work on socializing him to those areas. I would be careful putting him out with other dogs since he is showing issues with other dogs. I do believe that a trainer first would be the best thing. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts