Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2 yr old (today is his birthday) eb is on royal canine. I was told by me vet to change his food to merrick which is alot better for him? do you guys think i should try it/ right now im also getting a great deal on merrick kibble a 30lb bag for $19.50. If I was to change to merrick.If I stock up on a few bags and store them in my garage would the kibble still be good
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
That is a great deal! If your boy likes it I say go for it. I stock up on dog food especially when it starts to get cold and there's snow on the ground. I store my dogs dog food in the garage. I havent had any problems! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
Make sure that it says dry, I have had a 40lb bag go bad while in my house :shock: while in use, it grew mold in the bag (It was in the laundry room, I have to say)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
I've had 15 pounds of a 20 pound bag (left after my last foster left) go rancid and it had fruit flies. It was only stored about 2 weeks. One day I noticed there were fruit flies all over my house and went looking for the cause. Pretty gross. About 100 fruit flies flew at me when I took the bag of food out of the bin I kept it in. :pukeright:

I think it would be alright if you store it in an air tight container and keep it in the cold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,272 Posts
kibble has an expiry date check the dates and make sure it is as fresh as possible. when you store it in your garage put it in air tight rubbermaid boxes. this will help it keep as long as possible, stay dry AND keep those pesky mice out of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
And should your dog not like it...

...you can always donate your stockpile to the shelter... :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,539 Posts
Why did your Vet suggest a change?. Im actually surprised the Vet is suggesting a good food like this. They usually push crap that they get kick backs for. I have a large container, not sure what it was used for. It has a rubber seal and a metal clamp to hold it closed. A local pet store was selling them at the time, it has been great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tank aint doing to good on Merrick he now has a bad gas problem ( I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE ) i think im switching back to Royal CANINE
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,815 Posts
Its alll gonna be what works best for Tank.. Mason had bad gas on DVP....Soft poo on RC...But now he's on Canidae and only side effect is it seems to make him shed more but you gotta give somewhere!! lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
Jemhidiahssj4 said:
Why did you switch foods in the first place if you dont mind me asking?
that is what I was thinking.... RC isn't a bad food at all (not THE best, but not crappy by any means), so if he was doing okay on it with no problems, no need to switch him! Switching food can really mess with a dogs tummy.

If you really want him on the Merrick tho.... did you switch him slowly?? I know I switched Kate slowly from RC to DVP (she was having allergic reaction to RC) and she had very bad gas until after a full week on the DVP only. Then it alllllll cleared up. I think her tummy just had to get used to adjust to the new food
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
Kate said:
Jemhidiahssj4 said:
Why did you switch foods in the first place if you dont mind me asking?
that is what I was thinking.... RC isn't a bad food at all (not THE best, but not crappy by any means), so if he was doing okay on it with no problems, no need to switch him! Switching food can really mess with a dogs tummy.

If you really want him on the Merrick tho.... did you switch him slowly?? I know I switched Kate slowly from RC to DVP (she was having allergic reaction to RC) and she had very bad gas until after a full week on the DVP only. Then it alllllll cleared up. I think her tummy just had to get used to adjust to the new food
:D
TANKIE WANKIE said:
my 2 yr old (today is his birthday) eb is on royal canine. I was told by me vet to change his food to merrick which is alot better for him
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
valetudouk said:
Id stop feeding her junk food and feed her raw food.A dog is meant to eat flesh n bone not proscessed food.
Opinions are like as$holes, everyone has one.... many people on here have researched both sides of this and found compelling arguments on both sides....kibble or RAW. Some people just don't have the time, money, or knowledge to feed RAW. Granted dogs way back only ate raw food, but obviously evolution has changed that a little bit
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
546 Posts
Kate said:
valetudouk said:
Id stop feeding her junk food and feed her raw food.A dog is meant to eat flesh n bone not proscessed food.
Opinions are like as$holes, everyone has one.... many people on here have researched both sides of this and found compelling arguments on both sides....kibble or RAW. Some people just don't have the time, money, or knowledge to feed RAW. Granted dogs way back only ate raw food, but obviously evolution has changed that a little bit
Dogs need bones and raw food to reach their potential,they maybe mans creation on the outside,but on the inside......wolfs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,539 Posts
valetudouk You are right to a point. But a very close minded answer. I beleive all the people on this board want the best for there dogs. Dry foods are getting much better then they used to. When I was growing up dogs were fed crap you didn't have a choice as most brands were terrible for your pet. The only way was to mix something up yourself. Due to the high demand of Baby Boomers wanting the best for there dogs which filled in the nest of the kids that moved out, companies were forced to increase the quality of foods. I have priced raw and for a large breed it is quite expensive and also inconvenient for a person that travels alot. Later I may switch to Raw depending on my finances.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top