Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luchi is my foster dog and the victim of a horrible home crop job. he barely has any ear left. He was playing outside with our neighbor's dog yesterday and he got a bunch of dirt in his ears. He usually doesnt mind his ears touched, but I tried to clean his ears yesterday and he really didnt like it at all. i just put some Earclens solution on a cotton ball and gently rubbed the inside of his ears. he put up quite a fuss. poor little man. but his ears are clean now...i dont think he's ever had his ears cleaned before.

We also have another dog at the shelter with an even worse home crop job. her ears have been cropped all the way down to her scalp. she basically has just two holes in her head. thats it. and someone asked me yesterday whats the deal here? this is the second pup we've had dropped off in the past 3 months with bad home crops. This pup is about 3 months old. Born around the same time when Luchi was dropped off at the shelter. so we're wondering if they're coming from the same people?!? and how these bad home crops will affect their health?

We get asked a lot of questions about these dogs...will they be more susceptible to ear infections? are they deaf? are they fighting dogs? how do they keep the rain out of their ears? will they grow back? well, the last one is a stupid question...but i wonder if these guys were going to be fight dogs or if some idiot breeder is doing home crops and is dropping off the ones that dont come out right.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you can, post pics of the pupper's ears. One person's interpretation may not be as good or bad. There's different "styles" of cuts for APBT's and one of them is known as "battle crop" which is a very low crop.

But yes, I've seen some awful cropped ears and some of them have been done at the Vets. :oops:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are pics of Luchi. His ears are pretty much so cut off straight across. like someone took a pair of scissors and snipped them off. they arent even either:

I dont have pics of the female pup. but her ears are completely gone. would a vet completely remove a dog's ears?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I doubt a vet would completely remove a dogs ears. More than likely it's a home hack job. Sooo sad. The punks that do that to these poor dogs should have their ears cut off. It's sickening! :evil:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah, that first one is pretty bad and obviously not done to standard. However, by the looks of the pic, it seems they still can be corrected but you'd have to put him under the knife again.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
If it were me I would not do it....he is too old to be put under the knife again just so he "looks good"..I wish that I did not have my limit on dogs I would take and spoil the &^%$(&* out of him....That poor baby those bast&^$*&^%ds should be shot :twisted: Sorry I am not implying anything negative towards you I just get so worked up

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah we dont know if we want to put him through that or not. we may take him to our shelter's vet to find out if it's worth it or not. my main concern is his well-being. the way that they hacked his ears off, there are parts that stick out more than the rest of his ear. other dogs have grabbed on there and i'm afraid they might rip his ear and hurt him. if they had at least done an even job...

we are spoiling the crap out of him :D ...personally i dont see the point in ear cropping at all. and i cant believe that someone decided to save a few bucks and do it theirselves. and then to get another dog in with an even worse crop job is just sickening...the shelter has asked if i would foster her as well, but i cant foster a female bull. i already have a dominant female at home. i can only foster males.

and i understand your anger, Angie. i was cursing up a storm when i first met Luchi. i wanted to know who did it so i could hunt them down and cut their ears off!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
That looks like it hurt!!Poor baby. Definatly looks as if the a$$ didnt know what he was doing! What an idiot! Stupid, stupid people!

I look at Dixies ears, then at the puppies sometimes and try to figure out how the vet did them, it looks major hard. Some people!

When I was looking for Dixie, I saw alot of people w/ pups for sale with no ears. Either cropped at home right after birth, which is stupid because you cannot judge legnth then, or uneven home jobs, some more square then triangular..

That sucks, spoil her, she has earned it!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
i could hunt them down and cut their ears off!
:wav:

I have noticed that on dogs with pricked ears that their ears are easier to get clean and keep clean.....Tora with her little folds seem to catch dirt and hold it, so maybe at least Luchi's ears will be easier to clean ....now stuff falling down in her ears I don't know about but I have never seen that problem with pricked ears(I am not saying that it can't happen though) which is in a weird way is the same principle as Luchi's ears just a box shape instead of a triangle...what I mean is both patterns leave the ears open to the elements.....She is adorable and I am glad that she found soemone like you to love her :love7:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I took my pup to a highly reccomended (does 90% of the corsos, presas, Dobes and APBT around here) vet, showed him and explained to him what I wanted. What I got was a too short (about 1") crop. I was pretty PO'd about it and won't use that vet again. Atleast my dog looks alright. My best friend took her pup to the same vet and asked for the same crop I asked for and what she got was what's refered to as a "fighting crop" basically no ear at all. It's sad. Her dog is beautiful, but the ears take away from it and she gets so many questions about it and has to explain to people that they weren't supposed to be that short. I don't know that the vet was thinking, or if he made a mistake, but it's permanent :( So, yeah, vets can screw up too.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Here is what I don't understand why in the world people get the fighting crop??? I understand in the show ring and I understand wanting your dog to fit the standard look, some breeds have as long as I can remember been cropped........But why ???Why??? the fighting crop they look evil :twisted: I always stop in my tracks when I see a dog with the short, short crop.......I watch them for a minute and try to see if they just look intim... but are big snuggle bears

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
That is why they do it(small crop), to make their heads look bigger. Not many care about the standard, that is why they get them done so small.

Another thing, I have never heard(doesnt mean it doesnt exist) of a 1" or 1 1/2" crop, every vet here and up north always refered to the ear cop as small, medium and large. Small is hardly any ear left, medium is like Dixies and large is like dobies or sheperds.

How can you measure a 1" ear crop at 3 months of age when their ears arent even done growing yet??? One inch at 3 months could end up 3 inches at full growth! My puppies, I guarantee, their ears have grown at least an unch, Chocy even more since they wre of ear cropping age! I never had them done, I chickened out, as I had quite the experience with Dixies, but their ears are HUGE! Catos not so bad, but the other 2 hold theirs funny, one back farther then the other, Hope that goes away!!!Lol!

·
Registered
143 Posts
sajoseph said:
That is why they do it(small crop), to make their heads look bigger. Not many care about the standard, that is why they get them done so small.
Technically, battle crop is exactly what it's for. Fighting. Not to make the dog's head look larger.

Usually done to avoid giving the opponent something else to grab on to.

E

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
That's so awful and sad...poor Luchi! I agree with you, I don't see the point in cropping their ears. I have a boxer and a pit and both of their ears are still natural. If it was up to me I wouldn't have even cropped my boxer's tail, but it was already done before we got her. Someone can tell me over and over they feel no pain, but I just can't believe that. And how someone would actually have the nerve to attempt to do it themselves is beyond my belief!!! :twisted: At least Luchi has a family that loves him & spoils him rotten!!! :D

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It is horrible pain, and the vet kept insisting that she wasnt in any, compared it to an ear piercing!Ya, right, since when do you have to be put asleep to get your ears pierced????They also nutered my male peke the same day and insisted he wasnt in pain, just mad because they stole his "jewwels" He almost died two days later due to dehydration and infection, the doc didnt even stitch him up good, had to go to another vet and get staples! Idiots!

It is nasty painful, Ill get pics of Dixie, we took them for days after and you can see her half mast eyes and the pain. This is why we didnt do the puppies.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
sajoseph said:
It is horrible pain, and the vet kept insisting that she wasnt in any, compared it to an ear piercing!Ya, right, since when do you have to be put asleep to get your ears pierced????They also nutered my male peke the same day and insisted he wasnt in pain, just mad because they stole his "jewwels" He almost died two days later due to dehydration and infection, the doc didnt even stitch him up good, had to go to another vet and get staples! Idiots!

It is nasty painful, Ill get pics of Dixie, we took them for days after and you can see her half mast eyes and the pain. This is why we didnt do the puppies.
That's awful. I didn't realize Dixie went through that! Poor girl. IMO, if you keep their ears natural they don't look as mean & it makes people less scared of them - at least that's what I've witnessed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I guess it depends on the vet you go to and the pain threshold of the dog. Both of mine were cropped (different vets) and both were playing the same day after I took them home. My pit was running through the house full speed smashing into walls with her E-collar. My presa was evaluated the very next day to see if he had the drive to do sports (PSA). So while there are horror stories, there are also stories of the dogs not being affected at all.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My Corso has almost no ears (I didn't do it, the breeder already had it done by his vet when we picked the pup). I like the cropped ear "look", but hers are definitely too short, she almost looks like she has no ears at all. It only seems to bother her when it rains, she does get water in her ears and shakes her head constantly when in the rain. However, her ears stay very clean, and she has never had an ear infection.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts