Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often but not everyday Petey has problems breathing - at least that's what I think it is. It seems like he is choking but he isn't - he seems to be coughing but he's not. It's a horrible noise and he insists on standing up while he does this but his back legs give out. It lasts maybe 30 seconds or maybe 1 minute. It's very distressing for him, and for us. If I lightly pat his ribs it SEEMS to help but I'm not so sure it does. What's causing this?
HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED SOMETHING LIKE THIS?
Any advice wil be great appreciated!!
Thanks, Lisa

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
sounds sort of like what happens to Kate. It's sort of a snorting sound. They can be playing, sleeping, anything and it just happens. She acts like she is gasping for breath and cant breath?

Well if that sounds like it, its not a problem. Just let him go with it. He just got something up his nose like dust and is trying to get it out. Sometimes during the spring or summer it will happen more because of allergys and all the stuff in the air.

So if that does sound like it, no worries and its just something that happens to bullys even though it can seem scary. If it doesn't sound like that, I sure do hope he's okay!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SO glad to hear that!! I was worried that maybe he had some obstruction in his trachea. It freaks me out but you're right - it happens any old time!
Thank you for the info :D

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Hey no problem!! I remember the first time it happened scared the living day lights outta be. But then it happened again at obedience class and the trainer told me she just got something in her nose. On the old forum something along this line was posted too and it got the same response so you should be in the clear :D

yay that that is all it is!!!

·
Registered
703 Posts
It could be something simple like a dry throat or the worst case senerio Heart worms. My boy Cody lived with Heart worms for years. He would have episodes from time to time of sever coughing and then be fine. If occurs again you may want to contact your vet, just to be careful.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Carson, does it kinda sound like a reverse sneeze? Ya know like he is inhaling real quick and kinda snuffeling to let the breath out? It is pretty common. Some dogs will do that is they have dusy or fuzz or whatever up their noses, some will do it if they are playing and bump their nose too hard.

If it concerns you too much, take him in to the vet.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Maddi did it when we first brough her home. It was due to kennel cough and hasn't happened in a long time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.