Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Just adopted our little guy, Jones. He's only 8 weeks, so I know he's still figuring everything out. We have tried walking him a few times (with a harness) and he pretty much just refuses. He just sits down and stares at us, or chews the leash. Of course, I know this is normal! I'm just curious as to when everyone else was able to walk their puppies. We've only had a lab mix and a husky - both always loved to go on walks. This is our first EB. We are hoping to figure out a way to get him to enjoy walking - and tips?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,989 Posts
Eight weeks old is a little young for walks. It is a very big world to them and they
have to check it all out. Just start with your yard. Keep some small treats in your
hand and each time he walks a little , give him one. Also let him wear his leash in the
house until he gets used to it. Also, until he has had all his shots including the
boosters it is best to keep him at home. To easy for him to pick something up from
another dog's feces or urine.

Long walks should not start until he is a year old. You need to give his bones, joints,
and ligaments time to grow before any heavy exercise or walking. Be patient
and you and your pup will benefit from it in the long run. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eight weeks old is a little young for walks. It is a very big world to them and they
have to check it all out. Just start with your yard. Keep some small treats in your
hand and each time he walks a little , give him one. Also let him wear his leash in the
house until he gets used to it. Also, until he has had all his shots including the
boosters it is best to keep him at home. To easy for him to pick something up from
another dog's feces or urine.

Long walks should not start until he is a year old. You need to give his bones, joints,
and ligaments time to grow before any heavy exercise or walking. Be patient
and you and your pup will benefit from it in the long run.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
i agree its to young to try walking and such before they have had all their shots. keep the harness on in the house or maybe try short times with it on and then make it longer till they are used to it. perhaps then add a leash and get them used to that in the house. then perhaps walking will be easier

1 - 5 of 5 Posts