Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our OEB is 3 months old now - and he is a handful.

My questions:
1) When did yours finally learn that outside is his potty place? Mine is ok 80% of the time - but once in awhile we go outside he does not go - then comes in the house and decides to do there - we catch him most of the time.
2) When did your puppy walk with you on the lease? Mine is ok with the leash - but he goes in spurts where he will take 2-3 steps then want to sit. I pull and tug and he does not react. The treats work for 10-15 feet at a time - but that seems like I am encouraging this behavior.
3) When did yours stop the "nipping"? Duke is good most of the time - but when my kids go play with him he seems to get excited and start to bite at them. He already took at their ears. Kids are starting to get scared of him - the total opposite of what we want.

He does to obedience class later this month so we are hoping this help - but any adive would be great!!

Thanks

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
tonyd414 said:

My questions:
1) When did yours finally learn that outside is his potty place? Mine is ok 80% of the time - but once in awhile we go outside he does not go - then comes in the house and decides to do there - we catch him most of the time.
2) When did your puppy walk with you on the lease? Mine is ok with the leash - but he goes in spurts where he will take 2-3 steps then want to sit. I pull and tug and he does not react. The treats work for 10-15 feet at a time - but that seems like I am encouraging this behavior.
3) When did yours stop the "nipping"? Duke is good most of the time - but when my kids go play with him he seems to get excited and start to bite at them. He already took at their ears. Kids are starting to get scared of him - the total opposite of what we want.

He does to obedience class later this month so we are hoping this help - but any adive would be great!!

Thanks

The potty training was the most frustrating thing. Finally took Atticus until he was about 6 months to get it down cold pat. My suggestion to you would be to put a bell of some sort on your door, and show it to him and treat him. Eventually the pup will ring the bell when he wants to be put out to potty.

As for the nipping, I would suggest whining like a dog when they bite you. That's how we got ours to stop.

The training will be great for him, they are very head strong pooches.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
tonyd414 said:

My questions:

Thanks
1-When Legend was about 4-5 months old was done with potty training. But he also went to dog daycare. So every other hour he was outside or in the greenhouse. Which I think helped him from seeing the other dogs go potty outside.
2- 9 to 10 weeks old walking so proudly on his leash.
3- about 4 months old. The nipping stopped. But since he was teething he was sucking and chewing on everything.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
tonyd414 said:

My questions:

Thanks
Tala was about 99% housebroken by 7 months. She's 100% housebroken now at 1 year and two months. I think three months old is too young to trust 100% of the time. Not only because they're still learning, but because they haven't developed the physical ability to hold it in at that age. I also think 80% of the time for such a young pup is above average. At three months old, Tala had no clue that it was not okay to go in the house. My other dog Yote was 100% housebroken at 4 months. It's been my experience that males are far easier to housebreak than females.

Tala began walking normally on the leash at about 4 months old. She was one of those dogs that park herself and refuse to budge when you'd try to coax her forward with the lead. I used treats to teach her to get up and start walking at my side with the "heel" command, and to get her past the sitting every few feet I walked her on a short leash and at a brisk pace (no slack in the leash, but not choking her eaither). Basically, she didn't have an opportunity to sit down. Now I can walk her at a normal pace and she does not sit down while walking at all.

Luckily, Tala never nipped, even when she was teething. My other dog Yote, however, was the worst nipper alive. I worked very diligently with him about it, but for the most part he grew out of it as his permanent teeth grew in. I would correct him by gently pushing his snout down and giving a firm "NO" command. If he continued, I'd end his contact with me by either putting him outside or just moving to another room for a bit. They learn quickly that bad behavior makes their play thing (you) go away, so they stop doing whatever it is that's causing you to ignore them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
By about 6 months Obi was housetrained but he still has the odd accident now and then at 11 months old. If he gets a fright he'll wee or pooh. Yesterday there was a really bad thunder storm while I was at work, when I came back at lunchtime he'd pooped in the hallway.

He walked on a lead straightaway with no problems, he never chewed his lead or had issue with wearing it.

He still nips now occasionally, but generally what he tends to do is open his mouth as if he's going to nip or chew but as soon as his mouth touches skin he licks.

He does sometimes get over excited when out playing with the ball and jumps up to get the ball out of our hands, he will very occasionally bite our arm or hand when doing this. As soon as this happens ball play is stopped and he is made to just go and have a walk about until we are happy to play ball again. He hasn't bit me for a long time though, as soon as he brings the ball back to us he is made to leave, sit and wait until we have thrown or kicked the ball.

Fee x x

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Buster was 5 months before he was fully housebroken.We used the bell and taught him how to ring it when he has to go out.He is not a barker and would stare at the door and if we were not around he would just go were ever but with the bell he picked up in one day and we have had no problems since.

Buster walked on a leash at 3 months.I waited till he had all his shots.I would put him on the leash then walk him around our yard then as he got comfortable with that we moved on to out front then slowly moved to around the block and so on.

The nipping lasted till he lost all is baby teeth and his adult teeth were in.I am not sure of the exact age but it was longer then 6 months.He was always nipping.We made sure we yelled ouch which made him stop right away and we had lots of chew toys for him.He is 8 months now and gives love nibbles,this is when he gets very excited to see someone........lol

My kids were the same way.Mostly my middle child who is 5.She was terrified of him cause he was always nipping. I had to explain to her why he was doing this she understood more and wasnt scared.Just explain that he is loosing baby teeth and it hurts and for them to help ease the pain they chew and nibble and even sometimes bite but they dont mean to hurt it just helps them deal witht here pain of teething and it will soon be over.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Orson is perfect and has always been perfect! :lol: :wink:
Sorry, i dont really have any advice...seriously, Orson was
a breeze to train, I got really LUCKY with him.
(he never nipped...ever. Wonder if that is a rare trait, not nipping? :?)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well here's my answer for #1: Jesse still had the occasional pee pee accident until he was 6 months old. He has been the most difficult pup to housebreak! I think it was because he was born in a pound where he and his littermates rolled around in their own excrement all day.

He hasn't had an accident in several weeks, but I still don't completely trust him. I watch him like a hawk still.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.