Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
tonyd414 said:
Our OEB is 3 months old now - and he is a handful.

My questions:
1) When did yours finally learn that outside is his potty place? Mine is ok 80% of the time - but once in awhile we go outside he does not go - then comes in the house and decides to do there - we catch him most of the time.
2) When did your puppy walk with you on the lease? Mine is ok with the leash - but he goes in spurts where he will take 2-3 steps then want to sit. I pull and tug and he does not react. The treats work for 10-15 feet at a time - but that seems like I am encouraging this behavior.
3) When did yours stop the "nipping"? Duke is good most of the time - but when my kids go play with him he seems to get excited and start to bite at them. He already took at their ears. Kids are starting to get scared of him - the total opposite of what we want.

He does to obedience class later this month so we are hoping this help - but any adive would be great!!

Thanks
Tala was about 99% housebroken by 7 months. She's 100% housebroken now at 1 year and two months. I think three months old is too young to trust 100% of the time. Not only because they're still learning, but because they haven't developed the physical ability to hold it in at that age. I also think 80% of the time for such a young pup is above average. At three months old, Tala had no clue that it was not okay to go in the house. My other dog Yote was 100% housebroken at 4 months. It's been my experience that males are far easier to housebreak than females.

Tala began walking normally on the leash at about 4 months old. She was one of those dogs that park herself and refuse to budge when you'd try to coax her forward with the lead. I used treats to teach her to get up and start walking at my side with the "heel" command, and to get her past the sitting every few feet I walked her on a short leash and at a brisk pace (no slack in the leash, but not choking her eaither). Basically, she didn't have an opportunity to sit down. Now I can walk her at a normal pace and she does not sit down while walking at all.

Luckily, Tala never nipped, even when she was teething. My other dog Yote, however, was the worst nipper alive. I worked very diligently with him about it, but for the most part he grew out of it as his permanent teeth grew in. I would correct him by gently pushing his snout down and giving a firm "NO" command. If he continued, I'd end his contact with me by either putting him outside or just moving to another room for a bit. They learn quickly that bad behavior makes their play thing (you) go away, so they stop doing whatever it is that's causing you to ignore them.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.