Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two AB's are perfect little 7 month old puppies when they go to the dog park and play in the back yard. When we go on walks and pass people they go bonkers, bark and pulling, its when ever their on the leash. At the dog park yestarday when we were ready to leave, Bam Bam had been playing with this dog for almost an hour. When the leash went on he became all aggresive and hostile to anything that came near us, including the dogs he knows. When he's on a leash he thinks everything is a threat and won't play nice with any other dogs. Off the leash he is fine. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Suggestions? :? :oops: :?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Most dogs are more aggressive when on a leash. That's why it's never good to take your dog to an OFF leash dog park and leave the leash on, lol. I think it's because they feel more threatened because they're being held back. I'm not sure about WHY they are, I just know that most are the exact same way as yours.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is very socialized. Both my AB's get out to play with other people and dogs at least a couple times a week. There both still very skiddish at night too though. If anyone comes around a corner or is even down the street in mid-day. They immediately go into BACK OFF mode. The only time they don't really care is when we've been on a long walk and there tired, and hot.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Socialization does not solve everything. You are headed for a lot of heartache if you believe that because you socialized your dogs well they are going to get along with every dog for the rest of their lives. If a dog feels threatened at any point, being on a leash when other dogs arent, he doesnt care if he has met the dog before or not, he is going to go on the defense

·
Registered
35 Posts
definately don't have your dog on the leash around other dogs that are off the leash for one if you are pulling thier head up the can't show submission etc.. wich can make other dogs more aggressive twards them. All of the dog park fights I have seen have been with one dog on a leash and another loose. The reason they have the double gates at the dog park is so your dog can be leashed and unleashed with out the other dogs being around

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no problems at the dog park nor do I take my dog to an off leash dog park and walk him around with his leash on. How many people also experience leash-aggression with your bully breeds and of those who do, what are steps you take to calm them down. Distraction, sitting, or just talking to your bully?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Interesting read. I have aggression issues with Storm on lead, the only dog since I've had her off lead with is our golden retriever. They're really good together though we had a few tussles over dominance at the beginning.

Storms way of greeting any dog that comes running up to her on lead is to latch on and not let go :( . I can just imagine the neighbours if I start singing and jumping around when I spot another dog to try to keep Storm calm. :lol:

I checked with my council and if a dog is off lead and approaches that dog is at fault if your on lead dog was to bite it. If you know your dog is aggressive you're meant to muzzle it so it doesn't hurt roaming 'nice friendly doggies'.
As far as I'm concerned if a dog runs out of it's driveway and straight into Storms face it's an aggressive move on that dogs behalf. If Storm was muzzled she couldn't defend herself. We encountered another staffy bitch off lead that ran straight at Storm last week, imagine the damage if she was muzzled and couldn't defend herself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.