Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buster just turned eight weeks this past Tuesday.We have had him since he was six and half weeks.We are always saying and using his name but he doesn't seem to know that it is his name.Is there something I should be doing or does it just take them time to know that "Hey,I'm Buster"............LOL.ANY ADVICE???!!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi,

First, are you sure he can hear?

If so, then I would be saying his name real happy, all the time. What we do quite a bit, for exampe is if the pup is not in sight (like in the other room) we'll say "Where's Arlo????" real happy like and as soon as we see him (bulldog grin and tail waggin' :D ), we say, again real happy "There's Arlo", "Hi Arlo", "How's Arlo today"......you get the picture. Seems kinda stupid when I write it all out, LOL.

We croon his name to him too, when we're cuddling, etc. He's just so darn lovable.

Hope that helps.....worked for us.

Maer

p.s. We didn't get Arlo until he was about 13 weeks and they were calling him Puppy at the breeders.....so he had to learn a NEW name.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My pup Fury turns 9 weeks old on Saturday and I'm far from an expert - we've also done what Maer has said constantly but since I spend a lot of alone time with her I've noticed something that catches her attention - I whisper/low tones her name and she tends to cock her head and looks at me and then approaches slowly like " What the hell are you saying woman?" and I continue to whisper her name until she gets right in front of me and then I praise her, love on her and give her a treat.

Then when I call her she comes to me but of course this doesn't always work she's a rowdy pup...

But then I have a six year old son and he doesn't even respond when I call his name as he plays .. so, go figure. :)

Patience is key.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
she tends to cock her head and looks at me and then approaches slowly like " What the hell are you saying woman?"
LMAO!!!! That is so funny.

But then I have a six year old son and he doesn't even respond when I call his name as he plays .. so, go figure.
YEA,I have three of those............LOL,I know what you mean.

MAER:
YES,I am sure he can hear and I was doing what you said all day and he did come to me ONCE but it is a start.I will continue to try this and hope he catches on soon.Thanks to the both you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My pup used to do the same thing. I thought she was deaf, but she just has selective hearing, kinda like the wife. She now knows her name at 15 weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts