Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blue nose 3mths old and would like to crop his ears? I asked my vet but he doesnt do it no more. So i would like to know where to go to get it done proffessionally... Can someone help..I live in staten island.. Pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeee...

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I've always assumed you would get it done at a vet. So just try another one in your area.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Im probably going to get razzed for this... but WHY would you WANT to crop his ears? Cropping holds no medical purpose. It is purley cosmetic, and can be very painful for your dog. Also, if done incorrectly, they look bad, and usually cannot be fixed.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Tinkerbell said:
Im probably going to get razzed for this... but WHY would you WANT to crop his ears? Cropping holds no medical purpose. It is purley cosmetic, and can be very painful for your dog. Also, if done incorrectly, they look bad, and usually cannot be fixed.
I feel the same but if someone likes it, they like it. Looking at some dogs I think it really fits their style and look. So if a dog already has it, I love it on some, but I don't find it necessary if they don't already have it.

But thats why I just told him what he needed to do to find a place that does it. I'm assuming he knows all the risks and both sides of the story.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Tinkerbell said:
You are so very wrong in this statement, croping a dogs ears does have a medical purpose, it allows your dogs ears to breath and they are less likely to get an ear infection be it yeast or bacteria and if you do any kind of protection work it will actually increase there long range hearing! If anyone doubts this hold your hand over your ears and listen to a faint noise and then cup your hands behind your ears and listen to the same niose!

PS: Back to topic...Look for a vet in your area who does this and try to find one that does laser croping they turn out nice and you should only have to tape them a few times!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Kate said:
Tinkerbell said:
I feel the same but if someone likes it, they like it. Looking at some dogs I think it really fits their style and look. So if a dog already has it, I love it on some, but I don't find it necessary if they don't already have it.

But thats why I just told him what he needed to do to find a place that does it. I'm assuming he knows all the risks and both sides of the story.
Yea, your right... I just wouldn't have a dogs ears cropped - thats just me.. So hopefully he can find a good vet that knows what they are doing.

Try searching for reputable breeders in your area. Ask them which vet they use for cropping, and then go meet the vet, ask for references. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I don't really like cropping either but if someone wants to have it done and they get it done professionally, good for them.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Tinkerbell said:
Kate said:
Tinkerbell said:

Yea, your right... I just wouldn't have a dogs ears cropped - thats just me.. So hopefully he can find a good vet that knows what they are doing.

Try searching for reputable breeders in your area. Ask them which vet they use for cropping, and then go meet the vet, ask for references. Good luck!
This is what I love about this forum, open minded people who can see the good in things they don't agree with. Thank you.

~S

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey, Can we crop your ears?? LoL.. Just playin around.. On a different note, my g/f who works at a vet said that most vets will not crop a pups ears past a certain age..
-Matt

·
Registered
720 Posts
Mylexon20s said:
Hey, Can we crop your ears?? LoL.. Just playin around.. On a different note, my g/f who works at a vet said that most vets will not crop a pups ears past a certain age..
-Matt
Should have them done when they are 12 weeks old!

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
ambull040769 said:
Mylexon20s said:
-Matt
Should have them done when they are 12 weeks old!
Same w/ docking tails, should be done BY 5 days old, at the latest. Recommended, 3-5 days.

~S

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
reply to ear cropping

thanks for the feedback. And ur right most vets dont it, but the ones that still do know what there doing and do it well. To each there own.... I dont want to crop my ears but i would love to split my tongue....lol....
And as for the age, yes u have to do it by a certain age otherwise the ears will not stand... I had 2 boxers still have one of them and never cropped the ears and kind of regret it....

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
ambull040769 said:
Tinkerbell said:
You are so very wrong in this statement, croping a dogs ears does have a medical purpose, it allows your dogs ears to breath and they are less likely to get an ear infection be it yeast or bacteria and if you do any kind of protection work it will actually increase there long range hearing! If anyone doubts this hold your hand over your ears and listen to a faint noise and then cup your hands behind your ears and listen to the same niose!

Found this info:
The fact is that ear infections are common in all sorts of breeds whether they have cropped ears or not. As a veterinarian with 32 years of experience treating hundreds of thousands of dogs during that time, I cannot find medical justification for cropping a dog's pinnas. So the choice to crop a dog's ears is a personal decision that a purebred dog owner needs to weigh carefully... partly because what you think you will get may not occur. I refer to the disappointing cases where the pup's ears have been cropped and yet, no matter what everyone tries to do, the ears won't stand erect!
This is is coming from a Vet who specalizes in ear cropping. Here is the site: http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/earc.html

More:
There are no longer any scientifically proven reasons to crop ears. Some say that it prevents ear infections, but veterinarians see plenty of erect-eared dogs (both natural and cropped) with these infections. Besides, if that were true, the practice of cropping Cockers and other spaniels as well as Poodles, Beardies and Mastiffs would have gained wide acceptance.
Today, ear cropping is a cosmetic surgery, pure and simple. If you like the look of the cropped ear, you may choose to crop, but it is a choice. The procedure should be done as early as possible: 6 weeks of age in the larger breeds and not past 9 weeks in the smaller ones. In a dog older than 16 weeks there is not only more pain but also more pain memory. Ear cartilage is for the most part set permanently by 4 months of age, so there is little latitude for bracing and training the cut ear to stand after surgery. Ear cropping is a choice each owner must make, and it should be an informed choice

Still more:
“Ear cropping in dogs for cosmetic reasons is not medically indicated, nor of benefit to the patient. This procedure causes pain and distress, and, as with all surgical procedures, is accompanied by inherent risks of anesthesia, blood loss, and infection. Therefore, veterinarians should counsel dog owners about these matters before agreeing to perform these surgeries”

AAPBA says:
Ears cropped vs un-cropped: most breeders that crop ears are cropping to hide faults in their particular line. In close conformation judging the judge will lean towards the un-cropped ears because the AAPBA is out to better the breed, 100 percent not 95 percent. Cosmetic surgery is not the future of the Pit Bull breed. The most attractive natural ears are fairly small and are rose or half prick. Rose ears have a backward fold, allowing a bit of the burr (inner ear) to show. The tips of rose ears usually point toward the side, but they may also point toward the back of the dog's head, depending on their size, formation and whether or not the dog is responding to stimuli or resting, generally the tips move forward and sideways when the dog is alert and lie toward the back.
From: http://www.aapba.com/breedstandard/breedstandard.htm

You sure you wan to argue this with me Ambull???

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thats one vets opinion that you found online (How do you even know he is a vet)? Just because some site says (this vet says that) blah blah blah? I have raised bully breeds of one type or another now going on 20yrs and I always cropped my dogs ears and only had one get an ear infection and when I took him to the vet (Which I know is a real vet) not some website, he was suprised that he had an infection, he said dogs with cropped ears hardly ever get them and he was the one that cropped my dogs ears! So yeah we could argue all day, but I myself and many other breeders and vets do believe this to be true!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Im sorry but it is more then "one vets" opinion... apparently you did not read all of my post.

All dogs regardless of cropping can get ear infections just the same as people. (Hmmm my son gets ear infections, maybe I'll have his ears cropped...) I had a dalmation growing up. He never had a single ear infection. and his ears were not cropped...

Can you back your argument up with proof? I did... More then one reference I listed states that there is no medical benefit in cropping. The links I provided are a very few of the hundreds of sites I found on this topic. If cropping was a "cure all" for ear inflictions, wouldn't you think more and more basset hound owners would have cropped dogs? Because after all, bassets have notoriusly bad ears.

Ear infections (in any breed - yes even the infection prone bassets) can be avoided with simple maintenance. Cropping will NOT prevent ear infections.

Originaly Pit Bulls ears were cropped so they would not be torn off in fights (dogs, rats or cattle). Now they are done for cosmetic reasons.

FYI... I just spoke to me vet, my mothers vet, and the vet that a local AKC representative uses (3 total)... and they all said that there is no medical benefit to cropping.

So to those who desire the cropped look, don't buy into the medical neccessity jibe as there is no benefit to it. You will still have to clean your pups ears routinely. That is the only preventative for ear infections.

Just be sure that you find a reputable vet who will do it right and with as little trauma to your dog as possible. And if you have a dog prone to ear infections, I have a great ear cleaner recipe that works wonderfully and is very cheap and easy to make.

8)

·
Registered
143 Posts
....not certain that cropping an APBT's ears would have medical purpose. First off, the APBT is less prone to get ear infections. But if your talking about the dreaded Cocker Spaniel? That breed is highly susceptible to ear infections due to their floppy ears.

The APBT is a highly tuned performance machine with zero flaws. It's ears are not long, hairy and floppy where moisture is trapped causing issues like the dreaded Cocker I mentioned. Granted an ear infection can happen to any dog but breeds have flaws and IMHO, the APBT doesn't have any.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tinkerbell said:
FYI... I just spoke to me vet, my mothers vet, and the vet that a local AKC representative uses (3 total)... and they all said that there is no medical benefit to cropping.
You're absolutely right!! It is a myth that cropping ears prevents infections. Statistics actually show that dogs with cropped ears tend to get more infections as the natural tendency of the outer ear to protect the inner ear is removed. Cropping is for purely cosmetic reasons, and for the owner - not the dog!!!!

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Listen, why does everyone find it ok to argue about every single topic discussed here? All they wanted to know was if anyone can give them someone they can trust to do a good job cropping their dogs ears. They didn't ask for anyone's opinion or approval. Dang, everyone sure feel superior with their views on here.

~S

1 - 20 of 34 Posts