Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - we bought Patch after being told he was a Staffy.
I was thinking he was a Staffordshire Bull Terrior.... but after seeing photos on this site, i'm beginning to think he's an American Staffordshire - look at this puppy photo - what do you guys think?????

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's an American Staffordshire Terrior

Well... we received the registration papers from the council yesterday with his breed and microchip information - he's an AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIOR!
At first i was a little shocked... we really wanted a Staffy Bull... I mean, I would NEVER swap Patch for anything.
But I'm so worried now because the AmStaff's are closely related to the Pit Bulls... and I'm worried he'll grow to be extremely aggressive.
Is there much different in the breeds?
Will Patch still grow to have the strong muscular shoulders and big head?

I love Patch and would NEVER swap him... or regret buying him.... just some concerns i have.

I suppose that's what you get for an impulse buy..
we didn't even plan on getting a dog... we were just walking past the pet shop and fell in love with him and 20 mins later, we walked out with him!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Patch is adorable.Pet shop buy NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
OK now that I got that out any bull breed has the chance of being aggressive.
You need to educate yourself on the breed and know what to look for in behavior.
Lots of BO, socialize, socialize and socialize and good training and a watchful eye.
Again he is adorable!!!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Re: He's an American Staffordshire Terrior

Patch said:
At first i was a little shocked... we really wanted a Staffy Bull... I mean, I would NEVER swap Patch for anything.
But I'm so worried now because the AmStaff's are closely related to the Pit Bulls... and I'm worried he'll grow to be extremely aggressive.
The more you learn about the breed,pitbulls and amstaff are one in the same, the more you love them.
your pup is too cute!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pittbull?????

OK.... now that you say AmStaff's and Pittbulls are one and the same, i am scared.

I would never have bought a dog from a pet shop EVER... but my husband has been trying to convince me for ages to buy a Staffy and i've always said no. THEN we saw patch in the pet shop and fell in love with him, and bought him on an impulse buy.... i think my husband thought this was his chance to get his staffy - while i was vulnerable and caught up in the excitement of nursing patch and loving him!!!

should i be worried he's going to have behaviour and/or aggression problems because we bought him from a pet shop??

he's been a fabulous puppy.... we really haven't had many problems with him... and for a 15 week pup, he's pretty obedient!!

i'm really worried guys!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know there are heaps of pitty owners on this site... and that's good for you guys if that's what you like.
but for some reason i've always been afraid of pitties.... probably because of the media hype associated with them (we had another pittbull attack on an owner last night in Sydney... ).

i know a lot of dogs are capable of attacking -and it's not just the pittbulls... but i'm frightened that when Patch goes up i'm going to be afraid for him to be around my children...

am i overreacting??

is there MUCH difference between the Staffy Bull Terriors and the American Staffs????

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Patch said:
am i overreacting??
Yes.

Patch said:
is there MUCH difference between the Staffy Bull Terriors and the American Staffs????
Not really. They both come from basically the same lineage (bull baiting and dog fighting). Size is a difference. Male Staffies rarely get over 40lbs. Male AmStaffs rarely get over 60.

Taken from the main page on this site, Staffy Bulls "[have] become a popular pet retaining the attributes gained from generations of fighting dogs bred for courage, tenacity and most important: total reliability and affinity with people and in particular children." About AmStaffs: "Loyal, intelligent, determined, tough, devoted; does well with children when socialized as a puppy; often does not do well with other pets"

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Remy and Bella are gorgeous... are they AmStaffs??
Have you had aggression problems with them??

I hope i haven't offended you in any way.

I am just a little shocked at finding out Patch wasn't the breed we thought he was...

Although the main reason we wanted the Staffy Bull was because of their small size, now we have to get used to the idea we're going to have a bigger doggy around with our AmStaff!!!!! Time to get a bigger house with a bigger yard!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Patch said:
Remy and Bella are gorgeous... are they AmStaffs??
Have you had aggression problems with them??

I hope i haven't offended you in any way.

I am just a little shocked at finding out Patch wasn't the breed we thought he was...

Although the main reason we wanted the Staffy Bull was because of their small size, now we have to get used to the idea we're going to have a bigger doggy around with our AmStaff!!!!! Time to get a bigger house with a bigger yard!
Yeah, Patch will probably be about 20 or so pounds (9 kg?) bigger than you expected him to be. :)

We bought Bella from a backyard breeder who said she was a purebred American Pit Bull Terrier. She doesn't have papers, and as she's getting older, she's starting to look mixed...maybe with American Bulldog and/or Boxer. Remy is a rescue, so we have no idea what he is. Our best guess is a APBT/lab mix. Remy has had no aggression problems whatsoever. Right now, we're having what I think are fear aggression problems with Bella. She's afraid of everything, so we're trying to work through that to make sure that she never uses her teeth to defend herself when she's afraid of something (like people.)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well we are trying to train Patch from NOW not to be aggressive. He nips a fair bit, but stops when we tell him to (or show him the water spray bottle!) We're starting obedience puppy pre-school on sunday mornings once he gets his last vaccination for the year, in a couple of weeks.

Can I ask a question? When people refer to a dog as a 'Staffy' - would you infer they mean Staffordshire Bull Terrior? or American Staffordshire Terrior??? The pet shop advertised Patch as a Staffy.... i want to know if that's misleading!?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
A nippy puppy is not an aggressive puppy. Fear aggression is not something we trained into Bella (or didn't train out of her); it's a temperament issue. We can manage it, but we can't train it out of her.

And yes, a "Staffy" refers to a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. That the pet store called your dog a Staffy is very misleading. Pet stores are bad news in general. Did they give you any information at all about the Patch's parents?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, they didn't give us any information about Patch's parents!
I am really upset that they mislead the public like that... but I only blame myself and my husband for not doing our research!!!!!! I can't believe we bought a dog - a breed we don't know much about - as an impulse buy!

Don't get me wrong, we won't get rid of Patch, we love him. But I wish we were more prepared.......

Should I go and see the pet shop and tell them they mislead us???

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Patch, first off, my advice is to find your dog a good home. That said, I know you want to keep him so my next advice is to buy some books, attend some shows/competitions & overall educate yourself.

For starters, the term "pit bull" does NOT relate to 1 specific breed of dog but rather it is a general term to refer to several different breeds of dogs: the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, & American Bulldog & any mixes of these mentioned breeds. And thanks to the media & ignorant people, the term "pit bull" is applied to any breed or mix of dog that has the same physical characteristics of the aforementioned breeds.

Now that you know that you own a "pit bull", unless you acquired your dog from a responsible, respectable, & honest owner/breeder who keeps immaculate records of his dogs pedigrees/lineage & only acquires dogs from the same, then you have no real clue as to what your dog may be. No one, & I repeat, NO ONE can identify a "pit bull" breed based on looks. And unfortunately, science has yet to be able to fully tell Boxer DNA from Poodle DNA from Saint Bernard DNA from Pug DNA from wolf DNA, so don't even think any of the "pit bull" breeds are being genetically mapped out--espeically with all the unscrupulous bybs & puppy peddlers breeding anything to anything.

Now, I'm sure that even after reading all this, you (& probably many of others) are still mad at me for the first thing I said. The reason why I said what I did is because ALL of the "pit bull" breeds are in enough trouble as it is. And it's more than just my opinion that these breeds are not for everyone. To have someone as afraid of "pit bulls" as you seem to be, then it is not in the dog's best interest, or the breeds' best interests to have an owner who will never fully trust her animal & who will probably end up putting the dog in a position that these breeds do not need to be in.

However, if you are very determined in keeping this dog, then do as I advise. You really need to educate yourself on ALL of the "pit bull" breeds (as you truly don't know which kind of dog you own) & pay special attention to the history of these breeds. These dogs are strong willed, stubborn, most tend to be dog aggressive (they are NOT pack animals) but yet they are the most loving & loyal (well, to a degree till the UPS guy comes & then my dogs are ready to leave with him) dogs ever created.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am offended that you think I should find Patch a new home.
Did you notice that i had written that i'm NOT getting rid of him because we love him to bits and we want to keep him.
I came here to get advice and encouragment!

I am upset that the pet store referred to Patch as a STAFFY when he is not.. the nickname they should've used was 'AmStaff'.... right?

I am a little taken aback at the fact that we bought a dog thinking it was a Staffy, not an AmStaff.

We were initially after a medium size dog, and now we have a large dog.

But we will deal with it.

We WANT to be good owners and companions for Patch. He has already changed our lives completely.

I've always said that if i got a dog, he wouldn't be allowed inside the house (because i'm a clean freak).... boy did that change when we got Patch!
my friends are amazed that Patch is inside whenever we are home... he has his own little dog bed in the living room, sleeps on us while we watch tv of an evening... and is very much a part of our lives.

I AM LEARNING - and i want to learn more... because we fell in love with Patch within 2 minutes of seeing him in that 'pet shop window'.. and he adores us!

I only had one dog when i was growing up - a German Shephard... and my husband had a Rotweiler..

That was many years ago. This is our first time we have a dog together....

so perhaps i AM ignorant... because i do too much research on the breed on the internet and all i've seen is that AmStaffs and pit bulls are aggressive...

SO PLEASE educate me..... i know that opinions of pitt bulls vary... people either love them, or hate them.

i don't know what i think of the breed yet because i don't know enough about them...
all i know is that i DO love Patch... and i'm going to try to learn about the breed and will do my best to raise him in the right way...

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
amstaffs are med sized dogs. they are also known to be people frendly dogs, they however are known as dog aggressive. so I wouldn't worry to much about it. IMO the biggest problemis fear bitters, the dogs that are scared of everything. CC that is also a pittybull, as my 6 yr old calls her,
and the last thing I worry about is her hurting the kids, She is the best when it comes to children.

they can do anything to her and she just loves it. they use her for a pillow.
don't believe the hype.do alittle digging and find out what your into.
Don't worry, you just have to be a responable owner, and you'll have the best dog!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you are absolutely right..
i hope Patch doesn't become aggressive towards dogs though...
he has already been introduced and has played with my friends' dogs.... a pittbull, a couple of maltese terriors, a shitzu, and a labrador. he was SO playful... so im sort of hoping it is not just because he's a puppy, but that this love (even just tolerance) for other dogs continues into the future..
as long as my family is safe, i am fine.

how are AmStaff's generally around strangers (i.e. im wondering how he will react when my brother house-sits when we go on holidays in september... a new face to feed and walk him for 4 days!)

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Patch said:
i hope Patch doesn't become aggressive towards dogs though...
he has already been introduced and has played with my friends' dogs.... a pittbull, a couple of maltese terriors, a shitzu, and a labrador. he was SO playful... so im sort of hoping it is not just because he's a puppy, but that this love (even just tolerance) for other dogs continues into the future..
As you'll learn in your research of AmStaffs, even the most diligent socialization of your dog won't necessarily prevent dog aggression. You can definitely train him to ignore other dogs and focus on you, but you can't expect that he'll get along with other dogs just because he is socialized around them now. Dog aggression can set in anywere from ~8 months to 3-4 years.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.