Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
My dogs are on Sentinel but what does your Vet say? Not trying to be rude but I hope that they have seen a Vet recently and tested for worms.... If they have not been checked then they could have heartworms and need further meds... I am not postive but I thought that heartworm meds do not cure it they just prevent it :?:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took Carter to the vet today. He is only 5 months old and the vet said that since he is not yet 6 months that a heart worm test isn't always correct. This will be his first season to be exposed to mosquitoes. I am just trying to see which product is best for my puppy.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I've been using Revolution on both of my dogs since they were puppies and we've been pretty happy with the product. It also fights against fleas, earmites and several other things. The only bummer is the price! :shock: One of my vets uses interceptor but I don't like it because then I have to use something else for fleas.

Amber

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
deuce's mommy said:
Am I the only one that gives my dog heartworm meds year round? I always thought that is what you were supposed to do.
I give it to mine year round

And jbyrdslady sorry I just did not know some people could try to med their dogs themselves :shock:

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
jbyrdslady said:
I took Carter to the vet today. He is only 5 months old and the vet said that since he is not yet 6 months that a heart worm test isn't always correct. This will be his first season to be exposed to mosquitoes. I am just trying to see which product is best for my puppy.
Well i'm not sure about the younger then 6 months giving a wrong test result, but you must have your dog tested for heartworm before you start the prevention. Giving the dog a heartworm prevention who already has heartworms can make them very very sick.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have mine on heart guard year round. The reason the vet said they will not do a heart worm test is because it takes six months for them to develope and give an accurate test. They did the same thing with my dogs, they put them on the heart guard as pups, then at six months they did a heart worm test. Now I think I only have to have a yearly heart worm test.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Kate said:
jbyrdslady said:
Well i'm not sure about the younger then 6 months giving a wrong test result, but you must have your dog tested for heartworm before you start the prevention. Giving the dog a heartworm prevention who already has heartworms can make them very very sick.
It takes 6 mo. with the dog already being infected with heartworms before one can get a positive result. It is common practice to just begin pups under the age of 6 mo. on heartworm prevention without doing a test since the test would be innacurate anyways. Over the age of 6 mo., the dogs are tested as they would now be at a stage where the antibodies would result in a positive test result.

As for prevention, it all depends on you, your dog, & your lifestyle. Heartguard & it's generic form, Iverheart, are the most popular due to their easy monthly dispensing & the fact that the majority of dogs like the flavored treats (however Iverheart is a tiny pill you must stick in a piece of cheese, hotdog, or something similar). Revolution is not too common here in this part of Louisiana as it is a topical version & many in this area have hunting dogs who are constantly in & out of water & there's no conclusive evidence to show that it remains effective after much water exposure. Also with Revolution, one must be very careful & vigilant in properly using the product as it must be applied directly onto the dog's skin & not just on the fur to be effective. Sentinel is another oral product, but our clinic does see a higher rate of adverse reactions to this product than any other (reactions usually are neurological such as seizures). Interceptor is yet another product & it is probably the second most common in this area after Heartguard.

However, like I stated, it's up to you. All are proven products that protect against heartworms.....some just have added "bonus features" such as intestinal worm protection & flea protection.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Miakoda said:
Kate said:
jbyrdslady said:
It takes 6 mo. with the dog already being infected with heartworms before one can get a positive result. It is common practice to just begin pups under the age of 6 mo. on heartworm prevention without doing a test since the test would be innacurate anyways. Over the age of 6 mo., the dogs are tested as they would now be at a stage where the antibodies would result in a positive test result.

As for prevention, it all depends on you, your dog, & your lifestyle. Heartguard & it's generic form, Iverheart, are the most popular due to their easy monthly dispensing & the fact that the majority of dogs like the flavored treats (however Iverheart is a tiny pill you must stick in a piece of cheese, hotdog, or something similar). Revolution is not too common here in this part of Louisiana as it is a topical version & many in this area have hunting dogs who are constantly in & out of water & there's no conclusive evidence to show that it remains effective after much water exposure. Also with Revolution, one must be very careful & vigilant in properly using the product as it must be applied directly onto the dog's skin & not just on the fur to be effective. Sentinel is another oral product, but our clinic does see a higher rate of adverse reactions to this product than any other (reactions usually are neurological such as seizures). Interceptor is yet another product & it is probably the second most common in this area after Heartguard.

However, like I stated, it's up to you. All are proven products that protect against heartworms.....some just have added "bonus features" such as intestinal worm protection & flea protection.
I learn so freakin' much here!!! :D I was going to talk to my vet about the revolution since it covered more things than just heart worm. My dogs are constantly in water during the summer months when you need your meds to work the best. Looks like I will stick to the heartguard and topical flea, tick and mosquito medicine. Has worked great for me, I was just looking to have it all combined...OH well

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
As my vet explained it to me yes it takes 6 months to devolp the heartworm , But heartguard plus kills the larve before they become heart worm . As little pups they do not have yet have heartworm , So he puts them right on heartworm preventions.
the he does take the usual tests at 6 months and then every other year if they are on it year round. Every year if you take them off for the winter months. I myself keep them on year round I feel much safer this way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you!!!

I just wanted to thank all of you for the advice. Carter is going in next week for his Heartworm meds. I think that I am going to go with the Revolution. My vet charges $95 for a 6 month supply but fortunatly he will match any price with proof. I found it online for only $61.50. Well take care& thanks again!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
thedogmother said:
Iverheart-generic Heartguard? Is it cheaper than Heartguard? Where can it be purchased?
My dogs are on Iverheart. I think it's about $5/pill at my vet's office. I might try buying it online with a vet script because I'm sure it's cheaper that way.
I've heard not to do this with heartworm and flea prevention since these medicines go into the blood stream and you can never be 100% sure where these items came from when you order them online.

And with medicines like these, the doctors arent trying to rip you off by over charging.

thats just what I heard....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.