Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from the vet with India (AB) & Oreo (cat) and BOTH are overweight, lol....

actually not funny, but the dog weighs 95 lbs and the cate weighs in at 10 lbs.....

how should i go about India loosing weight???? i know how with the cat, don't keep the bowl full
](*,)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Like my vet told me with Bear (cause he's a little chubb and has to lose weight), if you feed him a cup then start feeding him 3/4 cup. I've started this a couple weeks ago and I can see the difference. Not real drastic but it's slowly coming off.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Last time I took Jazzy (APBTX) to the vet, the vet told me she could lose 10 lbs. We cut her food from 2 1/2 C a day to 1 1/2 - 2 C a day and stepped up her exercise a bit and she's lost 5 lbs already. (took about a month) It really wasn't that difficult.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I cut Buster down from 4 cups a day to 2, and he hasn't lost an ounce! I know he needs to get some exercise, but you would think that cutting the diet in HALF would do something, at least. :roll:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i told my b/f that the whole house needs to exercise and walk more..... we'll see how that goes..... it's been so freakin hot here lately, i can't stand for us to step outside!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
snarky said:
i told my b/f that the whole house needs to exercise and walk more..... we'll see how that goes..... it's been so freakin hot here lately, i can't stand for us to step outside!
Our house needs the same, and I feel your pain! It was in the high 90's today, and with humidity it was over 100!!! :oops:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
apbtgurl26 said:
snarky said:
Our house needs the same, and I feel your pain! It was in the high 90's today, and with humidity it was over 100!!! :oops:
ick! i hate it when i step outside and i can't breathe...... i feel like i'm cutting through a sweater :x

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i feel so bad....

i only gave her 1 cup yesterday :( i've been feeding her 3 cups :shock: which is what i thought the bag had said...... maybe i should have read in detail......

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Re: i feel so bad....

snarky said:
i only gave her 1 cup yesterday :( i've been feeding her 3 cups :shock: which is what i thought the bag had said...... maybe i should have read in detail......
My vet always says don't follow the bag. Just watch adjust up or down by how your dog is looking.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the helpful advice..... hopefully with self control we can loose and exercise (walk) the weight off all of us.....

yesterday we just played like idiots!!! :lol:

·
Registered
3,560 Posts

snarky said:
I hope that wasn't 1 cup for the whole day? that is nothing! the vet told me to feed Kate 1 cup twice a day when she needed to lose weight... I put that in her bowel and it looked like I was starving the poor girl. But the way RC is shaped, measuring out one cup is not accurate with all the air inbetween, so I feed her 1 1/2 ish cups of food twice a day and take her for 2 walks a day.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Kate said:
snarky said:
I hope that wasn't 1 cup for the whole day? that is nothing! the vet told me to feed Kate 1 cup twice a day when she needed to lose weight... I put that in her bowel and it looked like I was starving the poor girl. But the way RC is shaped, measuring out one cup is not accurate with all the air inbetween, so I feed her 1 1/2 ish cups of food twice a day and take her for 2 walks a day.
exactly!! that's what i was feeding India, 1 1/2 of RC in the morning and another at night... = 3 cups....

but, i ran out of RC just 2 days ago and haven't got to the store to get more, so i am giving them the Eukanasty with some gravy sauce..... 1 cup of that....

·
Registered
14 Posts
the vet told us that phoenix had to lose 5lbs in may, so i started giving her one cup of dry food in the morning with a little cooked ground meatball about the size of half a golf ball, then at night half the cup of dry and the meatball. she goes outside 3-4 times per day anyway, and/or whenever i do - so she walks alot, but i started focusing on the 'fitness walk' where i walk fast enough where it's almost a run, and i try to keep at that for 20 min or so at least...she lost only 2lbs! yesterday we just went by the vet and weighed her again and she's back up to 59lbs! she doesn't LOOK chubby though - she actually looks slimmer so i think she may be building some muscle.

i just changed her food to wellness simple solutions, and i mix a can of wellness with a can of eukanuba low residue - now she gets 2 tablespoons of the mixed canned with half a cup of the dry and we'll see what happens in a month or so...

my clients laugh at me when they hear of my doggie fitness program!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LuvaBULL said:
Why can I not recall seeing pics of India. Are you holding out on us?? :lol:
i don't have many of her....she normally just lays around.... but here is one!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts