Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please pardon my ignorance. I know I could do some research and find out myself, but I thought asking this board would be much more interesting!

Why aren't boxers considered bully breeds?

Look at my friends' male boxer Tookie. He looks so much like an AB, it got me thinking! She SWEARS he's 100% boxer, but he was a rescue so she might not know about his roots.
Anyone care to enlighten me?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Just curious. Who told you they weren't?

I have always thought of them as "bullies".

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never see boxers talked about here, or in "bully breed" magazines/books. I just assumed they weren't part of the bulldog breed.

There are so many 'boxer people' out there (Tookie's mom is involved in boxer rescue groups and all kinds of boxer stuff) that I wonder why we never see them in all the 'bully breed' things.

So, they *are* bulldog breeds then?
Sorry I'm dumb.

Ain't Tookie cool looking?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I talk about my Shelby all the time, and she's a boxer! :D Trust me, I definately consider mine a bully, because she's 10 times meaner & bullier than my pitbull! :shock:

BTW...Tookie is gorgeous! I have always wanted a white boxer!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Boxers have great peronalities and lots of energy. I love them. Most of them are fairly confident as well, all of the ones I've met. They're slow to mature so it's like owning an extended puppy lol :lol:

My ex-roomate's boxer didn't really mature till he was around 4 yrs. Before this he was like a kid, real playful and silly.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
redbull said:
Boxers have great peronalities and lots of energy. I love them. Most of them are fairly confident as well, all of the ones I've met. They're slow to mature so it's like owning an extended puppy lol :lol:

My ex-roomate's boxer didn't really mature till he was around 4 yrs. Before this he was like a kid, real playful and silly.
I can agree with you there! Shelby is 3 and is a ball of energy!

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I guess there just arent alot of boxers here, just a few...or one :?

But that great looking white "boxer" doesnt look like a boxer to
me...he looks too thick and big headed.
Always thought boxers were more slender and had small heads?

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
redbull said:

I couldnt agree more..I am a boxer fan..I owned one for 15 yrs. (he stayed puppy until about 5 yrs old) and they are bullies..The whites are very very pretty..breeders used to cull the white pups I am glad most of them have quit..

I got my boxer when my daughter was almost two..and they grew up best of buds..we had to put him down at 15 due to kidney failure..he is missed dearly..best dog I ever owned and outlasted all of the BFs he watched them come and go..

e

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
OrsonDogge said:
I guess there just arent alot of boxers here, just a few...or one :?

But that great looking white "boxer" doesnt look like a boxer to
me...he looks too thick and big headed.
Always thought boxers were more slender and had small heads?
Not necessarily...my cousin has a white male boxer named Jake, and he's huge like Tookie. Alot of times the larger boxers will look more like an AB, especially if their ears aren't cropped.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Anyone have photos of natural boxers? No docked tail and no cropped ears. I know that in some places in europe, it's against the law to dock + crop. Never seen a boxer without a docked tail though,

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK so they are bullies! Thanks :)

I think Tookie's mixed with something, but don't know what.
He's a beast.

I love boxers too. A friend of my grampa's had one when I was little, and it was named "Buster Bullsh!t Benson." I remember because it was the only time I was allowed to use a swear word when I was little. It was funny, like everyone called that dog by his full name, and it wasn't a big deal if I did, because that was just his name. I remember him saying "best goddamned dog I ever had!" all the time. We almost got a boxer before Grizwald came flapping down to us from heaven with his ears.

Abraham, our other dog, is boxer mixed with dalamation, we call him a 'boxmation.'

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
that's awesome, soooo much cuter that way.

If I had a boxer, I wouldn't follow show standards and I'd keep it natural.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
redbull said:
that's awesome, soooo much cuter that way.

If I had a boxer, I wouldn't follow show standards and I'd keep it natural.
I agree with you. I prefer the natural look also, but Shelby's tail was already docked before we got her, but we chose to keep her ears natural. Same with Koda's.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
yeah it's hard to get a natural tail in a boxer, most breeders dock at a very early age, and some will even refuse to keep it natural.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Actually I don't mind the look of the docked tails...but I prefer the ears natural...

...love to play with them!... :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts