Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every dog food I check with the exxception of just a few have some form or another of wheat in them. It varies in amts but most do. I know it is not good for the dogs. But no one has ever said why it is bad. Does anyone out there know WHY wheat is bad and what it does to the dogs? I was just coureus so many dogs foods have it in them so I was wondering if any one knew the reason it is bad. and Thank You in advance for the info.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I know that some dogs are allergic to it, just as some people are. One of my foster pups had bad gas until I took her off wheat. Some dogs are not bothered by it at all. As for why it's there, I don't know. My guess would be as a filler, so dog food companies can make more food for less money, and therefore make more money off their food.

·
Registered
623 Posts
OK yall, here is the deal. Right now I feed my dogs Nutro Ultra puppy food. My AB has the worst gas ever!!!!

Could he be allergic to the wheat. If so, what should I feed him???? Do any of yall know of a food with little or no wheat??

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure there

is food out there with no wheat but the only one I've see here is Purina One Lamb & Rice. Not sure of the others most I looked at had wheat in them. Mine have Gas here and there but only seems to be when i feed them Lamb & Rice Foods. It isn't bad. But they get it and they burp when they do.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Wheat is a filler... most food use it because its a filler for the dogs You will see some foods Advertised on the front Wheat free means its a better food no fillers.Wheat just makes them really full and thena hour later hungry again its like us and McDonalds. Get a food thats Holistic and you wont have that problem :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Precise Sensicare has no wheat, neither does Natural Life's Lamaderm products or their ACD Venison.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yep, that was the same problem here. I used to have to drive over half an hour to get Spooky's food, and it wasn't at a store so I couldn't just go anytime and pick it up. I would stock up so I didn't have to do it every couple weeks. Finally when I started my business I sold a few natural premium foods so people out around here could get great food and not have to drive to the next city.

Where are you exacty, or what's your zip? I might be able to find a dealer near you. A lot of breeders and small natural health food stores sell great foods, but people sometimes don't know how to find them.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have a health food store

But a small 3 to 5 lb bag of dog food there cost 27.99 and I go through 50 to 60 lbs a month I have 4 dogs
That stuff would cost a fortune I don't buy cheap food but that is way too high for me.
The Iams lamb & rice there on now is 30.00 for a 40 lb bag .
we are on cape cod ma. The only place I can think of that would have those food types might be in taunton area they have lotta farms there but thats like an hour away. We do have a petsmart but I haven't seen those foods in there. They have natural food but not sure which ones are good there I've seen wheat in them to.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Once when I went to visit family I forgot Jaz's food! D'oh. I bought this, it was the closest I could find. They sell it at petsmart. It's more than Iams, but Iams is crap. I normally don't like Nutro either (they use a lot of fillers), but this Ultra is good. Here's a link to it at PetSmart
and here's a link to the food: Ultra

·
Registered
623 Posts
Alright yall, I went to petsmart today on a mission to find a good dog food with out wheat. I have heard good things about Royal Canin and thought I would try it. I looked at the Bulldog formula, but I have an AB and did not know if it was the same. I had heard somewhere on this forum that the Boxer formula is good for AB's but it had wheat in it. So then I found the large breed puppy 32, it does not have wheat in it, but is has corn gluten meal. So I don't know what to do??????? The Bulldog formula had corn gluten meal in it also, but I thought it was bad to have corn?? Has any one used or heard anything about the Large Breed Puppy food by Royal Canine??

Thanks Much!!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
coco said:
Alright yall, I went to petsmart today on a mission to find a good dog food with out wheat. I have heard good things about Royal Canin and thought I would try it. I looked at the Bulldog formula, but I have an AB and did not know if it was the same. I had heard somewhere on this forum that the Boxer formula is good for AB's but it had wheat in it. So then I found the large breed puppy 32, it does not have wheat in it, but is has corn gluten meal. So I don't know what to do??????? The Bulldog formula had corn gluten meal in it also, but I thought it was bad to have corn?? Has any one used or heard anything about the Large Breed Puppy food by Royal Canine??

Thanks Much!!
I feed Sensible Choice Natural Blendz Adult dog food from Petco. It's also from Royal Canin. I would reccomend Sensible Choice Natural Blendz puppy food and make sure it's Natural Blendz and not just Sensible Choice. Just "sensible choice" is good food but not AS good as natural blendz is. When I switched from regular sensbile choice to sensible choice natural blendz i saw a diference in the shininess of her coat and just overall better quality.

Good luck in finding the right food and I hope I helped!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts